MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all- For 25 years I've always been able to ride my bike wherever I've gone. Now, for the first time I'm going to have to trailer my bike- about 400 miles, from Santa Fe to Tucson (for service). My question is, when securing the bike in the trailer (a U-Haul) is one set of tie down straps in the front of the bike enough, or is a second set in the rear recommended?
Thanks in advance,
Michael

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
In my truck I always only use the front straps. Trailers can be a bit bouncy though so you may want to use rear straps to prevent it from swinging sideways.

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
For 40 years I have hauled bikes all over the place, in truck beds and on trailers, with only the front tied down. That being said, I also check frequently that nothing is moving around. I have found that a small bike facing backwards will tend to swing a bit side to side, but never when facing forward.

That said, when I have friend's bikes in the trailer with mine I usually will tie all of them in place at the back (not 'down', just laterally) to make my friends feel more comfortable.

If you have 4 tie-downs with attachment points at the rear, then why not use them? But I wouldn't go buy a set just for this.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I don't like to compress my front forks during transport, so I don't secure the front at all. I push the bike into a Baxley wheel chock, lock it in, and then secure the bike laterally, at the mid-point of the bike. Super-secure, and no front fork compression.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Two tie down straps in the front are enough.

You should find a way to keep the rear from hopping. If the trailer has an open bottom, a bungee cord around the trailer and rear wheel is enough.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I always use 4 tie downs. Which is cheaper, tie downs or parts for MV Agustas? One guy brought his BMW R1200GS up to our local shop with a U-Haul and one of the tie down rings pulled loose from the bottom of the trailer. I know he was glad he used 4 tie downs.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm. Thanks for all the replies. I should have known there would be lots of opinions. I own only one set of straps, and don't have a wheel chock, so maybe the front set and some rope to hold the bike laterally at the rear, or Cag's bungee suggestion. Hopefully, I won't have to report back with a "If only I bought a second set of straps" story...

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I don't like to compress my front forks during transport, so I don't secure the front at all. I push the bike into a Baxley wheel chock, lock it in, and then secure the bike laterally, at the mid-point of the bike. Super-secure, and no front fork compression.
+1

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Tie-downs are $10/set--Just buy another set.

Nobody ever says "if only I hadn't strapped the bike more securely..."

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Whenever I use the trailer, I always say afterwards "if only I hadn't strapped the bike more securely."....:crazyeyes

·
Registered
516 Posts
Front and back...don't crank down on the front too hard (for too long) or you'll blow the seals. Get em just tight enough to be stable, but not bottomed out...and don't leave the front cranked down overnight (IE: packing the trailer before bed) do it just before you roll and release if you spend the night in a hotel (don't forget to redo before pulling out)

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I use a superbike sling and have a Canyon dancer same thing. to strap the front down bike has never fallen. I strap tight enough when I wiggle the bike it moves the trailer. This was from Florida to Alaska and back. I only strap the front when I know its all highway when I trailer in Alaska when the road changes like the weather I would use 2 more and tie them to the rear pegs just to keep the back suspension from moving up and down which will loosen the front straps. But highway 2 front straps are perfect!

Ed 40yrs? That is impossible arent you only like 45?

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
Front and back...don't crank down on the front too hard (for too long) or you'll blow the seals. Get em just tight enough to be stable, but not bottomed out...and don't leave the front cranked down overnight (IE: packing the trailer before bed) do it just before you roll and release if you spend the night in a hotel (don't forget to redo before pulling out)

???:wtf:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Oh brother. There are some very interesting replies to this.

There are some tyre downs available (at least in Oz) which go over the rear tyre which is basically the best solution as it doesn't load up the suspension. www.kyaracing.com.au/ or www.motorcycletiedownpro.com/fitting (see pics)

Always use a second set of tie downs as a back up, just in case something fails (work loose, tie down breaks, attachment point on trailer fails or you just stuff up).

Canyon Dancers are ok for a back up but only as a back up as they do damage grips, can break clipons and I have seen a document which indicates that they can distort frames and forks are not designed to have excessive constant load.

Best to only load the front forks as the back up system and not the primary.

Make sure tha front wheel and the back wheel can't slide around, usually a bit of webbing will suffice.

Tie downs should be directed so that the front tyre is against something solid such as the wheel chock at the front of the trailer. Basically with a small amount of forward pull. They should also go down to the trailer (not up .. yes it has happened).

something like this bike stand is also great as all you do is wheel the bike onto the trailer/stand and then leave it while you tie the bike down
www.ventura-bike.com/products.aspx?type=BikeStand

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I use a cannon dancer. They're cheap and reliable. Depending on how the bike sits on the particular trailer I may add tie downs to the rear but it's not always needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
+2 on the canyon dancers and the superbike sling same thing only different.

Ed 1970's? Geez well at least you are fairing better than Randy and he is like 35.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts