MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi de hi,

We did some maintenance on my 910R. We checked both camchain and adjuster. We attached the camchain to the frame with a hook and then loosened the adjuster. The adjuster was out 5 clicks so we think the chain is still ok as is the adjuster. Then we reassembled all again.

Only now , when the arrow on the timing wheel points to the notch on the engine we see that the marks on the cams are not perfectly matched with the cylinderhead and the rivets on the chain are not at the same height front and rear, but differ only slightly.

When we move them to the exact location than the arrow on the timing disc points slightly further than the notch on the engine, see the picture below. Can anyone tell if this is within the tolerances or has something gone wrong during assembly? It looks like the arrow is 3-4 degrees off but we don't know if this equals one tooth down below.

Would love to hear your opinion
Edith

Attachments

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
Ah. Saw your question also on MF. Will ask my mate about his views. He just did a few of those...

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I had the same issue on my 1090rr. I presumed it was within tolerance. No issues. No one offers a slotted cam chain sprocket, which would enable the cam to be dialled in perfectly.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I reckon your out 1 tooth on the bottom ,marks on cylinder cams must line up ,rivet count must be spot on and TDC MARK must be spot on .took me bloody 2 hours to line it up correctly.anyway good luck .the only way i got it was loosening the cam chain tensioner then rotating the TDC bolt on the bottom ,by memory turning it anticlockwise ,just check that?.then pushing on the cam chain to see where the mark ended up.turn very slowly,you will get it,pain in the arse.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
14,505 Posts
?

Astrante R

best plan.... lock the crank in place at TDC #1, twist the intake cam CCW until the chain

is tight......the arrow must align with the head top......if it doesn't, inspect the rear chain

guide for wear

Now loosen an end cam bearing block....insert 2-3 pieces of brown paper bag cut 12-15 mm

wide on top of the intake cam tighten the bolts so the cam can't move

now do the pin count and lay the chain on the exhaust cam it must align with the head

top.......when twisted CCW....

Repeat the paper bag trick with the exhaust cam

now install cam chain tensioner.......

make sure nothing moved......the secret is locking the crank and cams and keeping some tension on the slack side

of the chain......you're pulling against the crank sprocket

DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE STRIPS OF BROWN PAPER BAG AND TO RETORQUE THE BEARING BLOCK BOLTS

now rotate the crank 720 degrees..... all marks aligned? You're good to go!

:naughty:

revhead 1957......

slotted sprokets are only needed if you're DEGREEING cams......do you have the cam

timing specs?

didn't think so

:popcorn:

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Thanks for the offer Noel ,Parts are all coming from Startwin ,rings ,engine bolt ,timing chain ,gaskets ,might as well do it half descent.

cheers Noel

1 - 18 of 18 Posts