MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember the very first time i ever seen a mv agusta, it was at a show in U S i could not beleave my eyes, in my opinion it was the nicest motorcycle i have ever seen, i drewled over it. i never in my life thought i would ever own one of those beautiful motorcycles. check it out i have a 1090rr with 9000 mi on it. i get looks where ever i go. now i am hearing all this stuff about build quality and problems. whats going on guys? feed back please. PS i love my bike :smoking: :loser:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Build quality on every MV i have ever seen has been great.

For those that dont think its great, go check a Hyosung.

Perspective is everything.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Problem is that you haven't seen em all, why don't you ask mikef4uk about the 1000R he had and you may realize why he has now got a BMW.

:popcorn:
Well, I cant blame him for the BMW, those are wonderful machines.

And of course I have not seen them all. They are rare birds indeed. Ive owned 3, and seen a handfull of others. Much better fit and finish and quality parts than your average motorcycle.

As far as mikef4uk, Im sure some have been made on a friday at 3 o'clock just before quitting time for the weekend. :naughty:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
changeing bikes

MIKE F4uk lets here it. what do you have to say about all this? now a bmw owner. give us some feed back on your experence with MV s that you have owned,:wtf::wtf: :smoking::smoking:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

you mean there is no HYOSUNG motorcycles in the Gps this Year? :smoking: :jsm: :laughing: :laughing: what a drag!!!!!

·
Administrator
20,419 Posts
Just look at the welds....then go look at the seagull turds that Ducati calls welds....or a Harley.

Ask Randy what he thinks about current BMW build quality...he just got a Kawasaki Concours to replace his late model Beemer (a Kawi with better QA then BMW ????)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MIKE F4uk lets here it. what do you have to say about all this? now a bmw owner. give us some feed back on your experence with MV s that you have owned,:wtf::wtf: :smoking::smoking:
Ok:
MV750F4, early 2000 bike, about the 5th into the UK (I had my deposit down in 2008) faultless build quality, bike had two recalls, one for valve buckets, one for fuel sender. IMHO build quality 100%

MV1000S, Refused bike on collection due to LH panel MV Agusta badge being about 25mm (honest) out of true to the top of the panel, lots of little bits (like cable guides on top of twist grip etc) not as good quality as the 750, very thin flappy fairings. IMHO build quality compared to 750 80%

MV1000R, again a real general deterioration in little bits, as an e.g. the rear subframe was no longer anodized and if you rubbed your finger on it your finger would go silver! IMHO build quality compared to my 750, 65%

But the main thing was the engine, I do all my own work, I checked the valve clearance at about 1000miles:

There was a 'spare' allen bolt lying around stuck down the side of the altyernator

Every clearance was 0.1mm bigger than it should be, at first we thought it was due to the different cams in the 1000R, but it wasn't, it was just poor build:

Look at the ex cam picture, that is the phase lobe for the new ecu, it's rusty!

I found some odd crap in next to the cam. looks like hair?

One of the 'O' rings was split, I guess that cylinder sucked some crap in before I found it.

One of the clips around the rubber inlet tracts was hanging off.

Look at the butterfly picture, that with the throttle at 100%, nothing a file taken to the stop didn't fix, but not right.

Overall I loved all my MV's, but the build quality appears worse with each new model, My mate has a 2010 F4, he has had two sets of fairing due to the reflective heat tape falling off, an oil leak out of the LH 'F4' cover that pokes through the fairing caused by the two halves of the cranckcases not lining up (fixed with a file), and an oil leak out of the filler plug on the clutch housing.

The BMW? the build quality and attention to detail isn't great, the bike is a real good ride and I like it a lot, would I fall in love with it like my MV's? nah! I doubt it very much, it pulls different strings :jsm:

Would I buy another MV?.....................YES, but not the current F4, maybe the F3 if they enlarge the motor in the coming years, or if the F4 ever takes the looks of the F3

Attachments

·
Registered
5,193 Posts

In fairness Hyosung are aiming at a different market sector and price range

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think build quality and reliability are two completely different things. Just look at some of the Audis, Mercedes S-Class, some of the late model VW's, etc. They all have a great sense of build quality. Long terms reliability (going by the stats) on them is another matter.

I think the overall quality on my MV are definitely a notch above most productions bikes out on the market (short of a custom). The frame welds, body panel gap, etc are great on the MV's. The reliability on the other hand (at least from my experience) I think are not MV's strong points. My first MV (a 750) had bags of issues, one after another. Got sick of it and sold it. My current one has been better. Leaky stuff here and there. Not a deal breaker but still a pain in the ass.

Granted all man made machines will have problems but the 4 Ducatis and a handful of Japanese sport bikes I have owned gave me no such grief.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok:
MV750F4, early 2000 bike, about the 5th into the UK (I had my deposit down in 2008) faultless build quality, bike had two recalls, one for valve buckets, one for fuel sender. IMHO build quality 100%

MV1000S, Refused bike on collection due to LH panel MV Agusta badge being about 25mm (honest) out of true to the top of the panel, lots of little bits (like cable guides on top of twist grip etc) not as good quality as the 750, very thin flappy fairings. IMHO build quality compared to 750 80%

MV1000R, again a real general deterioration in little bits, as an e.g. the rear subframe was no longer anodized and if you rubbed your finger on it your finger would go silver! IMHO build quality compared to my 750, 65%

But the main thing was the engine, I do all my own work, I checked the valve clearance at about 1000miles:

There was a 'spare' allen bolt lying around stuck down the side of the altyernator

Every clearance was 0.1mm bigger than it should be, at first we thought it was due to the different cams in the 1000R, but it wasn't, it was just poor build:

Look at the ex cam picture, that is the phase lobe for the new ecu, it's rusty!

I found some odd crap in next to the cam. looks like hair?

One of the 'O' rings was split, I guess that cylinder sucked some crap in before I found it.

One of the clips around the rubber inlet tracts was hanging off.

Look at the butterfly picture, that with the throttle at 100%, nothing a file taken to the stop didn't fix, but not right.

Overall I loved all my MV's, but the build quality appears worse with each new model, My mate has a 2010 F4, he has had two sets of fairing due to the reflective heat tape falling off, an oil leak out of the LH 'F4' cover that pokes through the fairing caused by the two halves of the cranckcases not lining up (fixed with a file), and an oil leak out of the filler plug on the clutch housing.

The BMW? the build quality and attention to detail isn't great, the bike is a real good ride and I like it a lot, would I fall in love with it like my MV's? nah! I doubt it very much, it pulls different strings :jsm:

Would I buy another MV?.....................YES, but not the current F4, maybe the F3 if they enlarge the motor in the coming years, or if the F4 ever takes the looks of the F3
very good responce MIKE, all that stuff amazes me:smoking: :wtf: :bash:
thanks for all the info. i am sure the awareness factor will rise

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think build quality and reliability are two completely different things. Just look at some of the Audis, Mercedes S-Class, some of the late model VW's, etc. They all have a great sense of build quality. Long terms reliability (going by the stats) on them is another matter.

I think the overall quality on my MV are definitely a notch above most productions bikes out on the market (short of a custom). The frame welds, body panel gap, etc are great on the MV's. The reliability on the other hand (at least from my experience) I think are not MV's strong points. My first MV (a 750) had bags of issues, one after another. Got sick of it and sold it. My current one has been better. Leaky stuff here and there. Not a deal breaker but still a pain in the ass.

Granted all man made machines will have problems but the 4 Ducatis and a handful of Japanese sport bikes I have owned gave me no such grief.

Just my 2 cents.
Mike
why did you still buy another one? why not go back to jap or duc? is it a statice ? just asking,i am very interested in all this
stuff being it my first MV :smoking: :wtf: :drummer:

·
Registered
337 Posts
why did you still buy another one? why not go back to jap or duc? is it a statice ? just asking,i am very interested in all this
stuff being it my first MV :smoking: :wtf: :drummer:
I decided to give it a another go.
Despite the bad experience I have had with my first MV and the few annoying issues I have with my current one, I still love the bike. You tend to forget about the issues when you go on a ride. It's a love affair I guess. I still prefer Ducs overall but that's because I like the inherent characteristics and power band of a twin motor. That all said, owning both makes is the best of both worlds.

Mike

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
If you stand a 2003 F4 750 EV03 next to a 312R you will see the difference in build quality right away; and dont ask what is the better build with better quality parts as you already know the answer to that.

If they brought out the EV03 again with same build as in 2003, i would buy it.

as years roll on, MV try to save a buck or two and you can clearly see it on every new model issued.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If they brought out the EV03 again with same build as in 2003, i would buy it.

as years roll on, MV try to save a buck or two and you can clearly see it on every new model issued.

.[/quote]

sorry , but..............i have to agree with you :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ive only had my 312r a month or so.... its done just over 5000kms.

I pulled it apart today and found some nice suprises from factory:

Coolant leak from water pump
Oil leak from cam cover
Most sump bolts loose and one missing entirely
Side stand bolts held in by a few threads (honestly a few more rides and i think the stand would have been held on by the side stand switch)
Broken plastic seat pin and missing seat bolt
Bike jumps out of second gear sometimes

And some other that are due to Peter Stevens (city) in Melb doing some work on the bike:

Missing ecu bolt,
Two air intake wellnuts actually inside the air ducts
Air intake gasket inside air duct
Air ducts not clipped in properly
Exhaust not sitting correctly
Dodgy trickle charger wiring (no terminals, just bare wire jammed under the battery terminal bolts)

And a missing front wheel guard bolt that could be anyones fault.

If i was paying someone to work on my bike id be pissed at all these faults, but thered be no way id buy an MV if i couldnt fix it myself.......i know how bad italian build quality is.

FWIW a friend of mine bought an 2001? ORO a few months back with 6000kms (now 9000kms) and the only prob on his is a slight cam cover leak.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Ive only had my 312r a month or so.... its done just over 5000kms.

I pulled it apart today and found some nice suprises from factory:

Coolant leak from water pump
Oil leak from cam cover
Most sump bolts loose and one missing entirely
Side stand bolts held in by a few threads (honestly a few more rides and i think the stand would have been held on by the side stand switch)
Broken plastic seat pin and missing seat bolt
Bike jumps out of second gear sometimes

And some other that are due to Peter Stevens (city) in Melb doing some work on the bike:

Missing ecu bolt,
Two air intake wellnuts actually inside the air ducts
Air intake gasket inside air duct
Air ducts not clipped in properly
Exhaust not sitting correctly
Dodgy trickle charger wiring (no terminals, just bare wire jammed under the battery terminal bolts)

And a missing front wheel guard bolt that could be anyones fault.

If i was paying someone to work on my bike id be pissed at all these faults, but thered be no way id buy an MV if i couldnt fix it myself.......i know how bad italian build quality is.

FWIW a friend of mine bought an 2001? ORO a few months back with 6000kms (now 9000kms) and the only prob on his is a slight cam cover leak.

That sure is a sad testimony to either the factory and/or folk that have worked on the bike since it left the factory.

At least you can now go through the bike yourself and correct these issues. Bit of a bummer about it jumping out of second gear though, it may be that the dogs may be a bit rounded.​

·
Registered
91 Posts
That sure is a sad testimony to either the factory and/or folk that have worked on the bike since it left the factory.

At least you can now go through the bike yourself and correct these issues. Bit of a bummer about it jumping out of second gear though, it may be that the dogs may be a bit rounded.

Yeah luckily i dont mind pulling things apart.

As for the second gear issue, it doesnt feel internal, feels more like its not fully engaging the gear..... the selector is lined up correctly so i think ill have to have a play with rear set adjustment before worrying too much about that one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts