MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm trying to set up an appointment to see a 2004 mv f4 1000 1+1. it's got low miles (>1k), so it should be in great shape.

are there any specific areas that i should take my time looking over before i make an offer?

i doubt i'll be able to take it for a spin, not without a HUGE damange deposit!

any pointers would be welcome.

alex
03 r6
irvine, ca

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Apart from the obvious check for damage, and since its only 1000kms or so old, I would ask the current owner how he/she ran the bike in.
In my view this is so critical, if not done as per book you will live with the problems for the life of the bike.
Also I would ask questions on why the sale at such low Kms....

In fact ask lots of questions! :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Make sure the fit and finish are up to your expectations. Make sure the spacing between the tank and airbox is even all the way across, epsecially at the top right of the tank where it meets the airbox. If not it could indicate rubbing and thus missing paint on either side. This is caused at pdi by improper tank installation most likely due to hose routing which could also indicate stressed quick disconnects under the tank. Check the lower v-cowl for scrapes. All aesthetic issues as it's too new to tell much unless it were really egregious.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ask the owner what top speed did he reach (not sure of the speling on this one.. sorry if there is a mistake). If it's over 170km/h the bike had a poor break in procedure...
Why do people buy bike and ride them 1000km or less??? You can't even imagine what the bike is capable of with such a mileage. :loser:
it took me 2 weeks to have such a mileage... couldn't ride on week end... my girlfriend didn't apreciate the 'monoposto' side of my choise... :blah:
Nice ride with your next bike... ;-)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know how to decode the MV VIN numbers?
I want to make sure that the VIN checks out.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can't help with the VIN, but if you get the bike let's ride! There are a few of us here in THE OC. I picked up my 750 from a friend who bought a 1000, and I can't think of anything to complain about either one. They're awesome bikes!

·
Registered
96 Posts
machine748s said:
Why do people buy bike and ride them 1000km or less??? You can't even imagine what the bike is capable of with such a mileage. :loser:
I guess some people just break the throttle wide open for the first time and wet themselves... then survival instinct kicks in and the bike is gone.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
When I bought my Evo III it had done just 1200 miles and was 2 months old. Apparently the guy who owned it before me decided to buy the SR version (with the SPR engine I believe), so he traded it back to the dealer. I kept it only 5 months, putting the mileage up to just over 3000 and sold it back to the same dealer who is supplying me with an F41000. The dealer sold it to a guy who previously had a Yamaha R1 and so my old F4 has had a total of 3 owners in less than a year. :)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I bought my 999R with only 40 km on it :toothless

The previous owner had the bike for 3 months and only rode 40km!! :nerd:
He then traded the Duc for a Triumph Rocket III, what a loser......... :loser:

:toothless

·
Registered
878 Posts
MV-999R said:
I bought my 999R with only 40 km on it :toothless

:toothless
Better than guy I heard about! This guy buys new 999R takes it out of the dealership makes the first corner, looses control, and crashes it!!! ...then goes right back to the dealership!!!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Better than guy I heard about! This guy buys new 999R takes it out of the dealership makes the first corner, looses control, and crashes it!!! ...then goes right back to the dealership!!!
He was obviously called Mr Lucky the Clairvoyent :loser:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
:eek: That sucks.
But i don't know, man..... at least that one had a good reason for not ridding it. But having a brand new 999R just sitting in the garage for 3 months....... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
878 Posts
Why is the VIN number a concern? If you see it in person, just check the VIN number and make sure it was not erased and restamped (that would mean rebuilt engine/possibly salvage). Other than that, if it matches the title, it's not like it was an R1 or something in MV skin.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Mate, I think its a typo...the 'G' on the string of numbers should have been a '5'...that would make the VIN at least the correct combo of letters/numbers.

Could easily happen!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I'm pretty sure that's not the first time he's had it on ebay, I'm sure I've seen those pics before. Interesting that he's willing to ship worldwide. If he says it's ok to come around and inspect it I don't think there's too much to worry about. He gives the shop where it was purchased, you could ring them to verify the vin/purchase.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks for all the advice people.

i'm going to look at it tomorrow at noon. it's at this place:
http://www.syndicateauto.com/

actually, if you look in the gallery, you'll see the mv. it'd be nice if the bike is really as clean as the ebay listing states.

alex

1 - 20 of 24 Posts