2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this laptop:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=349370

For those that don't wanna look and just want a brief synopsis:

Core 2 Duo 1.66 mhz
2GB of Ram
200gb HD

I was thinking of jumping up to 4GB of ram. It's currently at 2GB.

I use this notebook as my main computer right now. It's used to design Flash websites working also with Dreamweaver. Macromedia suggests you have ATLEAST 1GB of ram when both programs are open. Most of the time, I'm running both of those as well as browsing the web and playing music. Oh, I'm also running CorelDraw X3.... So it's a multi-tasking fool.

It only has two slots, and right now as said, it has 2-1GB sticks in there, and I was wondering how big of a jump in performance I would see if I dropped in two 2Gb sticks. Would there be virtually NO loading??? Although it's really fast now, it does still take a minute or two to boot up, as well as when things get intense, it does take a little bit. I have minimized ALL tasks, so it runs with the minimal amount of programs in the background, so it's running as efficient as it possibly can as it sits.

Also, does brand of ram makes a difference? It came with Samsung chips. Oh, the Ram type is PC2-4200 533mhz. Are any other chips upward compatible?

Lastly, I'm wondering if the crappy on-board video card is another bottleneck. Are there external video card options to alleviate this issue? I would have bought a desktop, but on more than a couple occasions, it's proved it's worth being portable....

Any idea??

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to add, I'm also running Adobe Premier and Photoshop, lol. I don't have premier running right now...and I didn't have a video to render when I took this screenshot, but here's a screenshot of it running with everything EXCEPT Premier.

Granted, I have all the programs just open and they're not doing anything ATM, but I guess that gives you and idea of the resources it soaks up while it's just idling with everything open....

So, is it a worthwhile upgrade to 4GB of RAM? VERY noticeable difference?

·
Registered
190 Posts
RAM upgrade makes no suitbable difference. Benchmakring tests showed that adding 512 MB Ram to a 2 GB Ram gives 10 - 15 % faster processing speeds while anything more than 1 GB gives only about 2 - 3 %.

If you need to make your puter blazing fast, you may want to update your video card. Get an external video card (like the new Asus one for gamers). Also trying increasing the cache memory on your hard drive. Usually windows gives a default space (anywhere from 512 mb - 2 GB), you can play around with that. That makes a lot of difference.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
mv4avi said:
RAM upgrade makes no suitbable difference. Benchmakring tests showed that adding 512 MB Ram to a 2 GB Ram gives 10 - 15 % faster processing speeds while anything more than 1 GB gives only about 2 - 3 %.

If you need to make your puter blazing fast, you may want to update your video card. Get an external video card (like the new Asus one for gamers). Also trying increasing the cache memory on your hard drive. Usually windows gives a default space (anywhere from 512 mb - 2 GB), you can play around with that. That makes a lot of difference.
How do I increase the cache memory on my hard drive? (If the answer is "if you have to ask you don't want to be messing around with your hard drive" I accept that). Could you list the steps involved?

CAG

·
Registered
190 Posts
CAG,
These are the steps. Its pretty easy. If you bost the virtual memory and dont see much improvement then you might have to change your graphics card. You can always change your virtual memory and bring it back to default. These are the steps.
1. on your desktop right click on the "My computer" icon.
2. Select the properties tab
3. The properties tab opens up a selection with 6 tabs - advanced, system restore, remote, general, computer name, hardware.
4. Select the advanced tab
5. in the advanced tab page, you will see the option performance that states visual effects, processor scheduling, memory usage and virtual memory. Click on the button Settings
6. You will se 2 tabs - Visual Effects and Advanced - Select the Advanced tab
7. On the advanced page, you can play with the options. Since you run a lot of programs, for processor scheduling select programs, for memory usage, choose either system cache or programs - I would recommend programs.
Lastly for virtual memory, the new machines are configured for 3 GB of hard disk space that acts as a virtual RAM. Increase that to the amount of RAM you want to be added to - in this case make it 5 GB by clicking on the change button. The size depends on the free space that is available on your C: drive. THe change window shows your initial virtual memory size and the maximum that you can select.

Hope this helps. send me a pm if you need more help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nate,
Try raising it by 1 GB to 3037 MB and see if you get any differences. Hopefully it should make some change.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Not the expert but 2gb is plenty. With all of the development work and such, 2gb has worked just fine. Mainly you want to look at the fastest RAM for your CPU on the market. You could also (if you haven't already) look into dual channel ram and such for supposed speed increase when accessing the memory..

I would also look into SATA drives of some sort. Hard drives are a HUGE factor in speed when it comes to loading and disk accessing..

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
mv4avi said:
CAG,
These are the steps. Its pretty easy. If you bost the virtual memory and dont see much improvement then you might have to change your graphics card. You can always change your virtual memory and bring it back to default. These are the steps.
1. on your desktop right click on the "My computer" icon.
2. Select the properties tab
3. The properties tab opens up a selection with 6 tabs - advanced, system restore, remote, general, computer name, hardware.
4. Select the advanced tab
5. in the advanced tab page, you will see the option performance that states visual effects, processor scheduling, memory usage and virtual memory. Click on the button Settings
6. You will se 2 tabs - Visual Effects and Advanced - Select the Advanced tab
7. On the advanced page, you can play with the options. Since you run a lot of programs, for processor scheduling select programs, for memory usage, choose either system cache or programs - I would recommend programs.
Lastly for virtual memory, the new machines are configured for 3 GB of hard disk space that acts as a virtual RAM. Increase that to the amount of RAM you want to be added to - in this case make it 5 GB by clicking on the change button. The size depends on the free space that is available on your C: drive. THe change window shows your initial virtual memory size and the maximum that you can select.

Hope this helps. send me a pm if you need more help.
Cool! I'll try this on the computer at work first. That way if I screw anything up the computer guy can fix it.

CAG

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, how do I change the page file? Here's a screen shot, and I can't change the bottom ones.

I did do the custom settings and it didn't change it from 2037....

Attachments

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nate,
I saw your screenshot. You need to set in a range for the paging file size - it is basicaly a range of Memory hard disk space within which your virtual RAM works. For mine its set as 3024-3048 MB.
For your C: I noticed that it has no range hence it goes back into the default setting. The range is described right beside your C:. If you notice in your screenshot - beside the C: there is nothing displayed.
What you need to do are the following:

select custom size.
put value for intial size - 3048 MB or 4000 MB (max is 4096MB, but depends on free space on your hard disk. If your hard disk is nearly full, then the max free space goes down and you can only have 4000 or 3600 or 3400 MB as th highest value. When you type in the initial size, a pop up note lets you know what your maximum value is that you can input)
put in maximum size - 4096 MB, or maximum value shown in pop up screen.

Select "Set". A note comes up saying that "you need to restart your computer for changes to take place".
Restart the computer and repeat the same procedure in my previous posts to verify that the RAM size has been changed.

Let me know if this works out for you.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nate,
That is weird. It should revert to the size put in by you. Can you just repeat that process of going to custom size and putting in a new set of values. See if it works. I will try to find out why its not changing the defualt virtual RAM size for you. That is definitely weird.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Figured it out. you have to set it to "no paging file", restart, then input the values you need. in my case, I put 3048-4096 and it then changed.

I don't notice too much a difference though....

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess then you need a better video card. Your internal graphics card is not being able to handle the puter requirements. Time to go to Comp USA or try www.tigerdirect.com and look for external video cards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts