MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is NOTHIN ever EASY when it comes to set-up? Went with MotoDesigns rearsets GP shift pattern and now I need a PUSH type quick shifter. Anyone know where I can score one at a decent price? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Some more info please. What is a push type quick shifter? I have just added Rizoma gp pattern rear sets to my 2012 F3 and my problem is there is no quick shifter. The connecting rod from Rizoma from the lever to the spline bracket is to short (hence requires a quick shifter) or to long ( the OEM rod). The Rizoma are designed for either road or race pattern. all that is involved is which side the spline lever faces.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Quickshifters either work in "compression" (push) or "traction" (pull) depending on which way the lever rod moves to engage the next higher gear. The OE quickshifter is obviously a traction setup and as you've swapped the rear sets to a GP style shift you now need a compression shifter.

There are a couple "plug and play" options. SP electronics make a fairly inexpensive one for around £140, with this one you need to state at purchase which type you want, push or pull. Another option is the Cordona shifter which is apparently a step up in quality, this one has the option to program it to either push or pull on set up so it's universal, benefit of this is in the future if you returned the bike back to stock you could switch the shifter back to pull. You can get these for around £240

The OE shifters are £330+ to buy so you should be able to sell yours to cover the cost of the replacement. I'm not sure about the F3 but the B3 was available without a shifter so there may be a market for people looking to add one. My Brutale didn't come with one but after riding the Dragster I am now tempted to add one.

·
Registered
375 Posts

An easy way to transform your bike before buy the gp rearsets.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quickshifters either work in "compression" (push) or "traction" (pull) depending on which way the lever rod moves to engage the next higher gear. The OE quickshifter is obviously a traction setup and as you've swapped the rear sets to a GP style shift you now need a compression shifter.

There are a couple "plug and play" options. SP electronics make a fairly inexpensive one for around £140, with this one you need to state at purchase which type you want, push or pull. Another option is the Cordona shifter which is apparently a step up in quality, this one has the option to program it to either push or pull on set up so it's universal, benefit of this is in the future if you returned the bike back to stock you could switch the shifter back to pull. You can get these for around £240

The OE shifters are £330+ to buy so you should be able to sell yours to cover the cost of the replacement. I'm not sure about the F3 but the B3 was available without a shifter so there may be a market for people looking to add one. My Brutale didn't come with one but after riding the Dragster I am now tempted to add one.
It's too bad HM doesn't have an MV application. I put one on my Kwak 650R and it's great. A tiny pack of gum sized computer under the seat and plug & play connectors for the stick coils. The strain gauge sensor needs about 50mm out of the shift rod and is programmable for direction (push, pull, both), sensitivity (force required) and interrupt time (I use 65 msec on the Kwak). Factory is based in the UK. Might be worth a call. Unit is used in MotoGP and runs the $500+USD range.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Chris is pretty spot on there redphu72, just remember , cheap q/s makes cheap work of gearbox.
In this case it's just a switch and OEM software. So shouldn't matter. I have the SP one on my B3, as of yet no complains. Just need to fix the travel of the gear lever. :thewife: After that i'll be 110% satisfied. All my future bike's have to have a QS, i figured that out after just 50 miles.

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
Why not just get a bike with an automatic transmission then?:stickpoke

·
Registered
375 Posts
Is that held onto the lever with chewing gum? ;) :laughing:
No , with inox secure wire embraced with polyester bicomponent paste
, last 22000km with two falls !!
It can always back to the original shape. But this engine needs reverse shift in a easier way,while turning, to damper the torque a little.:smoking:

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
I just don't see a need for a quick-shifter for street riding. It makes the rider lazy and unfamiliar with the controls. Even for track-day riding, it is unnecessary.

Now, if you are a competitive racer with money on the line and the ability to win by shaving a tenth off your lap times, then it may be worthwhile.

There are better places, IMHO, where the money would be better spent.

And no, I have ridden neither system, as automatics hold no appeal for me, and quick-shifters would provide no benefit.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I just don't see a need for a quick-shifter for street riding. It makes the rider lazy and unfamiliar with the controls. Even for track-day riding, it is unnecessary.

Now, if you are a competitive racer with money on the line and the ability to win by shaving a tenth off your lap times, then it may be worthwhile.

There are better places, IMHO, where the money would be better spent.

And no, I have ridden neither system, as automatics hold no appeal for me, and quick-shifters would provide no benefit.

I was of the same opinion and said as much elsewhere on here but then I road a Dragster and Rivale with them fitted. Took me about 5 mins to get used to not dipping the throttle but after that it was awesome just banging up through the box, never realised they could be so much fun, even on the road. Sure it's unnecessary for the road but then the performance of most bikes fall into that category shifter or no shifter?

I suggest you try one and judge for yourself. Incidentally I think they are standard fitment on MV's now?

·
Super Moderator
24,098 Posts
I simply prefer the mechanics of the shifting process. QS holds as much appeal as paddle shifting a car...none.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quick shifters also put strain on the box due to not disengaging the clutch.

My RSV4 makes me cringe sometimes at the track when banging up the box as it is not always seemless.

My mate reckons his race shows a lot of wear on the box when it gets a pre season build, which he blames on the quick shifter.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I know what you mean. I can relate to that, espescially downshifting requires a given technique. But then again, lot's of people buy 200hp bikes and shift without QS. They want a fast bike, i say get a QS or learn to shift without a clutch.
People look at me funny when i say i don't use the clutch when upshifting. With or without QS. (Previous bike had no QS, but 60÷ of the time i xidn't use the clutch)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Why is NOTHIN ever EASY when it comes to set-up? Went with MotoDesigns rearsets GP shift pattern and now I need a PUSH type quick shifter. Anyone know where I can score one at a decent price? Thanks.
You can actually just change where the shift rod attaches to the shift lever so its between the peg and the pivot point, and continue to use the stock quickshifter

On the rizoma I had to drill and tap a hole into the shift lever - took all of 5 mins

Corran

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I've never used the clutch to up shift on any of my bikes, use it to downshift though, the quickshifter just allows you to do it without dipping the throttle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts