MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I have not owned a bike in 5-6 years, before than I have ridden japanese superbikes like gsxr 600/1000, Hayabusa etc. I used to do track days on a my track spec gsxr 1000 and was fairly successful for a weekend warrior. On the streets I never enjoyed going exceptionally fast and was more interested in biked that were ergonomically better for my back...has more upright handle bars etc...

In 2007 I have test ridden a Brutale 910R and since then I was in love with that bike. In the mean time I did not have the opportunity to buy a bike but things have changed and I am in the market, itching to buy a bike over the next 2 weeks.

I loved the ride of the 910R, I always enjoyed the smoothenes of the 4 cylinder but the new brutale that is in my price range is an 800 triple. I was never that impressed with the low revving V-twin ducati's although my friends swore by them.

Can you guys summarize a comparison between a used 910R and a new 800? I will try to ride both of them next friday but want to do some homework before hand.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi,
Have a 910s and an B800 in the garage, so my thoughts, 910 torque grunt sweet engine runs out of revs at 9k plus but great smooth power, feels heavy but steers nice a great bike.

B800, new generation, so light in comparison, spins up really fast, changes direction by thought, needs at least 4k before it gets up, but just spins up and loves revving, MVICS adjustable riding maps.

If I walk into a UK dealer looking at old new stock B4 or brand new B3 stock it is a hard choice as price point is so close, me I want both, can't go wrong either way, both great bikes. B800 just sneaks it for me. Only you can decide, go ride and decide.

jimboF4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Have a 910s and an B800 in the garage, so my thoughts, 910 torque grunt sweet engine runs out of revs at 9k plus but great smooth power, feels heavy but steers nice a great bike.

B800, new generation, so light in comparison, spins up really fast, changes direction by thought, needs at least 4k before it gets up, but just spins up and loves revving, MVICS adjustable riding maps.

If I walk into a UK dealer looking at old new stock B4 or brand new B3 stock it is a hard choice as price point is so close, me I want both, can't go wrong either way, both great bikes. B800 just sneaks it for me. Only you can decide, go ride and decide.

jimboF4
Thank you, yeah one thing that stayed with me 6 years after that test ride is that the 910R was insanely easy to steer into corners and was stable not sure how it is with the 800. I had more fun around canyons on that 910R riding canyons than any of my previous superbikes.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
910 is a great bike, grunty engine, steers really nice, sounds so good, but now having both bikes it is a hard choice going in the garage and having both to choose from.

The B800 is a great bike, loving the EAS quick shifter, the 800 is shorter wheelbase wise and the handlebars are a little wider than the 910, combined with the weight being less it steers even quicker.

Some prefer the stability of the 910, the 800 is so agile, speed wise I reckon the 800 has the edge, and some on here will hate me for saying it, but only a test ride can make your mind up.

jimboF4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am sure it is going to come to the test ride.
What about reliability wise, what is a dangerous mileage for a 910R? over 10k, 15k?
I also like looks and the paint job of the 910R better but I only looked at a B3 800 for 10 minutes at a dealer so it may grow on me.

btw. what is EAS? electronically assited shift, is it something like a quick shifter? a worthy option?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Reliability is not mileage related by and large, more to do with maintenance, if you look at used bikes look for service history from z well know MV Agusta dealer not just a bike shed.

Our 910 has 30k miles on, engine is as good as the day it was made, servicing and good oil is the key.

B800 is a whole technological leap forward, yes EAS is a quick shifter, F1 type stuff and darn good fun, some say quality is lower than the older gen bikes but hey, the new bikes are so much more competing with the jap stuff and still cut it IMHO.

jimboF4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reliability is not mileage related by and large, more to do with maintenance, if you look at used bikes look for service history from z well know MV Agusta dealer not just a bike shed.

Our 910 has 30k miles on, engine is as good as the day it was made, servicing and good oil is the key.

B800 is a whole technological leap forward, yes EAS is a quick shifter, F1 type stuff and darn good fun, some say quality is lower than the older gen bikes but hey, the new bikes are so much more competing with the jap stuff and still cut it IMHO.

jimboF4
You mean overall quality of the bike or just the EAS? You are slowly talking me in to a B3 :)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
When I say quality, some guys reckon the older models incl the 910were better built, thicker paint that type of stuff.

Fact is MV Agusta were going under and the new build bikes had to compete showroom floor price wise with the jap stuff so yes they now are cutting prices to compete. Go to the dealer and see what you think, I reckon they still are great quality bikes.

The EAS is top quality as is the rest of the electronics package way better than the old generation stuff or from Japan.

jimboF4

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I can't comment on the B4, I've never ridden one but I do have a B3 800. Before that I had a 2010 Z1000. Going from a big 4 to a lightweight triple has brought excitement back into riding a naked. The Z1000 was so smooth and had torque everywhere, a missile in a straight line and stable in the bends but you had to be smooth on it, changing you line was hard work so it was much a case of slow in, get it upright and fire it out the bends. The B3 just spins up so quick once you get it over 4000, you can easily lift it and drop it back into a corner
And the thing will easily wheelie out of every corner if you want it to :laughing:
Take them both for a ride but I recon you'll choose the B3 ;)

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Oh and I don't have EAS on mine, I wasn't really bothered about it, I always thought of quickshifters as just a posing thing for people that wants to get to the shops 0.2 of a second quicker. But I have since ridden a Rivale with it and it is slick, will I add it to mine.....maybe?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, what I am getting out of this thread is "get the newer tech triple, although it maybe a bit lesser quality than previous generations"

·
Registered
147 Posts
The quality is still there it is Italian. Even the new B4's are different then the older ones. Nothing to cry about though. They still look way better then any Yamasaki. I have ridden both and I liked both. The torque of the 910 was surprising and rewarding. The B3 800 I have is a light weight rocket that handles ohhh so good. Either will make you happy. I do love my 800.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The quality is still there it is Italian. Even the new B4's are different then the older ones. Nothing to cry about though. They still look way better then any Yamasaki. I have ridden both and I liked both. The torque of the 910 was surprising and rewarding. The B3 800 I have is a light weight rocket that handles ohhh so good. Either will make you happy. I do love my 800.
Thank you for the reply, would a B3 800 act like a torquey gsxr600 with upright bars or a completely different feeling?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The B800 would head butt a GSXR600 in the face and then go on to rip the arms and legs off it and poke them up it's rear end. They are so different, I suggest to really get an understanding of how good a B800 is you really do need to ride one, then go ride a B4 as well. I suspect either bike will be a bit of a surprise.

jimboF4

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can't comment on the old gen bikes, but I recently moved from a Panigale 959 to a 2017 Brutale 800 and couldn't be happier. The finish is great, they're relatively comfortable and the quickshifter and auto-blipper are right up there with the best on the market if you ask me :).

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts