MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so before I name and shame the online trader (that goes by a few business names) that sold me this motor I'm asking the members what I should do....

Bought the motor on eBay from a seller in Florida, then had it shipped to me in New Zealand.
All this took some time and I've just collected it. While trying to confirm the spec (Evo3, SP, SPR etc) I found it doesn't have an engine number!

-Hmm no numbers. Wonder if they're under this silver paint and maybe bondo?

-Paint stripper at work...

-The result: A desert....Alas no Engine number left - ground away.

So what should I do? Complain to Paypal? Ask them for a refund? Yell their name all across this forum? Tell the Florida Police?

I think I could get in trouble trying to sell this bike with this engine number missing.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,158 Posts
Have you questioned the seller about the non-existent engine number.
If you ask PayPal for a refund don’t wait too long before you do it.
Other than that you could apply to your motor registry for a new engine number telling them you have replaced the crankcase maybe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It might be possible to raise the engine number with acid but ask the vendor politely for an explanation before doing anything else. If you don't like the answer follow all four of your listed options.

Customs cant have checked for a number when it entered the country otherwise they might not have allowed it in.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ask before to seller the reason for no number.
Is your old crankcase crashed? You could change with your old one. I know it's a lot of work but it's the best solution

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I too would contact the seller first. I am sure any responsible trader or private individual would have difficulty in explaining HOW he had an engine without a number. Remember, at some stage he (the seller) has obtained the motor and would have done so either by scrutiny of the motor or turning a 'blind eye'. Only one of those was performed by the seller!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have experienced this problem with eBay in the UK.

They don't give a shit, your loss. Was my experience.
However I paid cash and collected after winning auction, all they did was cancel the sale on eBay. As (hopefully) you have paid via PayPal you should be covered go though PayPal. as your first point of contact but you will need to get a crime ref number ( or similar where your located) to prove it's stolen.

Best of luck keep us updated

·
Registered
866 Posts
Florida. I think I have seen that seller on ebay. Came close to buying a few things, but it seemed a bit strange so pulled out.
If you can't get it resolved.
Put your old engine number on it if you are ditching the old one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a eBay buyer, if you paid with PayPal you're covered......
File a complaint with PayPal
Done
I agree Noell, but I hardly want all the trouble of being told to send it back for a refund!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Florida. I think I have seen that seller on ebay. Came close to buying a few things, but it seemed a bit strange so pulled out.
If you can't get it resolved.
Put your old engine number on it if you are ditching the old one.
Hi Glenno. Yes strange indeed, on many levels. I may yet tell all if I don't get a satisfactory conclusion

·
Registered
14,212 Posts
?

I agree Noell, but I hardly want all the trouble of being told to send it back for a refund!
PayPal will refund your money including shipping........
Make sure in your complaint that you show the serial number has been obliterated
"parts delivered not as advertised"

DO NOT HESITATE, FILE A COMPLAINT IMMEDIATELY

·
Registered
925 Posts
If its had the numbers ground off there could be a possibility that's its stolen? if so does the seller really know what he has sold, as Noel said a very good case for paypal money back and may even be able to keep the goods. Then you can rebuild your lump or put the original numbers on it. All sounds a little dodgy to me.

·
Administrator
18,852 Posts
@SCRINCH3R ... please do tell us what response you get from your questioning the seller.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It might be possible to raise the engine number with acid but ask the vendor politely for an explanation before doing anything else. If you don't like the answer follow all four of your listed options.

Customs cant have checked for a number when it entered the country otherwise they might not have allowed it in.

US Customs usually does outbound inspections of vehicles and parts for stolen property. You can contact Customs and Border Protection at the Port where it was shipped from. Give them the Bill of lading and shipper and consignee info and they may be able to give you some insight as to if it was inspected or not. My thought is that it probably wasn't because they would not let a motor with tampered numeration leave the country.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
If its had the numbers ground off there could be a possibility that's its stolen? if so does the seller really know what he has sold . . .
The seller MUST know. As I mentioned in previous post, he must have conducted checks prior to purchasing said motor or complete bike. It's part of establishing the price offered/paid.

The crucial point though is that he has a RESPONSIBILITY both moral and legal to not pass off goods that could suspectedly be stolen. This is no different to selling the old Rolex to the boys down the pub.

Further, if this was MY engine that's being ferried around the world with obliterated identification, I would hope to hell someone would take the legal route to restore MY property, no matter its condition.

·
Registered
925 Posts
There are some really unscrupulous individuals out there, I took time to look at an Yamaha IT465 basket case last week from a 'friend' of a friend, told it was original but had no engine number or docs which he had no clue about, or so he said. I checked the frame number with the DVLA and it did not exist!!?? obviously I walked, but to some less conscious individual this may have not been picked up....

I hope it gets resolved soon, keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
. . . I took time to look at an Yamaha IT465 basket case last week from a 'friend' of a friend, told it was original but had no engine number or docs which he had no clue about, or so he said. . .
Precisely. These 'opportunists' will have the greatest spiel ever when it comes to selling, but as soon as they're sprung, they're beset by silence, mumbles and stuttering.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts