MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all. Long time lurker here who's been dreaming of owning a Brutale for 5+ years.

I finally have a real opportunity to own one. One is a 2010 1090RR (no mod) with 14K miles for $7K with all service up to date. The other is new 2013 1090RR for 10K.

What's a better deal to take? Nearest MV service dealer is 3 hours away so reliability is somewhat important factor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jaes

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hi y'all. Long time lurker here who's been dreaming of owning a Brutale for 5+ years.

I finally have a real opportunity to own one. One is a 2010 1090RR (no mod) with 14K miles for $7K with all service up to date. The other is new 2013 1090RR for 10K.

What's a better deal to take? Nearest MV service dealer is 3 hours away so reliability is somewhat important factor.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Jaes
Go with the newer one for $3k more, unless you like the 2010 color scheme. At 14k miles its 100% worth it to go for the new one - its a no brainer IMO. Is the new one with a dealer? If so, ask if you still get warranty at the time of purchase. If it is really 'new' as in 0 kms, you should get full warranty. Another big reason to go with the new one.

Simon

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Power curve on the later motor is different. It is aimed more for top end rather than mid range. MV went up in size on the rear sprocket to get the acceleration back on par.
Fwiw the frame on the 2010 has nice looking hand welded chrome moly frame, the later is machine welded.
Depending on the vin number, the later bike might be fitted with the Eldor ecu, which is currently exclusive to MV.

All minor differences, unless you are pushing the performance envelope. Go for the colour that rocks your boat.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Compare both just google it ,max torgue and at what rpm ,the black motor between 2010 to 2012 produces differently than the silver motor from 2013 onwards ,for street the black motor is more usable, especially when doing wheelies ,my mate had the 2013 and reduced 1 tooth on the front sprocket and found it brilliant after that .I have no idea why they changed it.

By memory the black motor = max torque at 8500 rpm and the silver motor max torque at 10500 or thereof.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Very interesting. The engine in my 2011 990R is amazing. Thru the twisties, you ride down a gear (2nd or 3rd) sitting slightly below the 8000 rpm (was the peek BTW) and it is a WHOLE LOT OF FUN!

Stats:

2011 MV Agusta Brutale 990R - 139.00 HP @ 10600 RPM, 106.00 Nm @ 8000 RPM
2011 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR - 144.20 HP @ 10600 RPM, 115.00 Nm @ 8000 RPM
2013 MV Agusta Brutale 1090 RR - 158.00 HP @ 11900 RPM, 100.00 Nm @ 10100 RPM

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
That said however, i still think that a new bike (with warranty) vs a bike thats done 14k miles (22k kms) is entirely worth the extra 3k.

-1 tooth on the front sprocket seems to be an easy answer if you love Nm :)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
my 1078 rr is putting out 142 hp at the wheel ,all those figures Greminn is at the crank and is plenty , the 990 r is brilliant and to be honest you would not notice any difference between mine and yours ,good choice .

cheers eddy

·
Registered
465 Posts
Both machines are brilliant and fairly reliable at this point. They have been building the current generation (2010 + ) for a while, so you would think they got it right.

If you get the new (2013) , I'd make sure the dealer is a good one since you will be leaning on them quite a bit. Warranty work might come up, etc. 3 hours one way is a long trip to get service, at least for me it is..

I have a 2011 and I noticed where I am the local, non MV shops, won't touch mine for some types service. All I need them for at this point, is to set the TPS or balance the throttle bodies . Those two things require special software and diagnostic tooling to do. There's plenty of people on this forum who own that stuff and handle it themselves , I'm just not one of them.

My dealer is about 1:15 hour trip away. It's a little bit of a pain in the ass , especially when I need to leave it there. But at least it's not too often, and riding this damn bike is worth it!

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Doesn't the 2013/4 come with ABS as well?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Yes it does come with ABS ,Can help in hose unexpected moments ,I have ABS on the Gs 1200 have not come into play yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts