MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a normal tide today about 20 miles through the city. Ended up at my parents. Came back out a while later and the was a 1.5 foot diameter puddle under the front of the bike, right under the radiator area. Everything was dry underneath the front from what I could see (took the panels off) and the liquid was clear and had an odd smell to it. Guessing overflow from the radiator since the tube is right there, but if it never boils over why would any come out?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
819 Posts
Unless there is a leak somewhere then it did boil over. Sometimes it wont boil out rapidly where you can hear/see it, but there is enough heat/pressure in the system to push fluid out. You walk away thinking all is good and come back to a puddle. Some spills out the overflow and when it cools enough the overflow is drawn back into the system.
Just a guess but if the bike hasn't been run in a very long time some of the coolant can evaporate especially if its just water, or fluid without glycol. Its not real common but does happen from time to time. Usually in climates where its dry and/or where large temp swings happen within a relatively short period of time. If that happened and there was a pocket of air within the system then that could let the bike get hot enough to burp some coolant. Did you notice the temps. when you parked the bike?

Or, if running straight water in the bike could have gotten hot enough to start to boil the water which could have lead to what you experienced.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Honestly I'm not even sure how to do it on this one?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
EDIT: SORRY!!! I THOUGHT THE BIKE WAS A GEN 1. THE INFO BELOW DOES NOT APPLY TO GEN 2 BIKES.

The coolant reservoir is located just behind the headstock (where the head races and bearings are) of the bike. The level should be between the mark on the reservoir and the lower edge of the frame. To fill, you need to remove the ignition shroud (the part that surrounds where you put the key in) and the left side bolt of the steering damper. Make sure the bike is perfectly level and not on the side or rear stand when you check the level. The bike should also be cold. :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
The coolant reservoir is located just behind the headstock (where the head races and bearings are) of the bike. The level should be between the mark on the reservoir and the lower edge of the frame. To fill, you need to remove the ignition shroud (the part that surrounds where you put the key in) and the left side bolt of the steering damper. Make sure the bike is perfectly level and not on the side or rear stand when you check the level. The bike should also be cold. :)
Handy info!

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
coolant level?

Stegen;
get your owner's manual out if you got one from Allan......if you didn't get one download the service manual......sounds like the overflow hose got knocked loose

Seth;
his bike is a 2nd gen, it has a regular radiator cap on the right tank and an unpressurized overflow tank

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The reserve tank is overfilled. The MV (at least the 2010) seems to operate with very little coolant in the reserve tank. Remember this thread: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47806&page=5

I added some water and coolant about three weeks ago when I thought it was low. But it wasn't. And, the excess water drains from a hole on the cap. The excess water has a habit of draining from the hole in the cap and then trickles along the side of the reserve tank (so it looks like the tank is leaking) but it's not. Just letting you know because it gave me a heart attack when I first saw it. See post 41 and 43 on the link.

That said, since you're going through the bike, I suggest flushing the coolant and probably doing an oil change (filter should be fine since I had the service done in 7/2012 and haven't ridden it much since I moved out here).

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Would be real handy if people would add what bike they where talking about in they're story or add the model to they're signature. Never mind having a look at the manuals every now again.

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
info???

Would be real handy if people would add what bike they where talking about in they're story or add the model to they're signature. Never mind having a look at the manuals every now again.
Donsy......are you kidding me?????

they can't put what country they are in.......and you expect year and model??????

he can't find the coolant level in his owners manual.......or on line from you??????

like it shouldn't have been posted in Maintenance in the first place:stickpoke

it was like having 2 'dust in my dash' threads this morning one with the solution......from a long time ago, solved by cleophus james

and guess who was involved in that thread:stickpoke

you got it :naughty:???????

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Donsy......are you kidding me?????

they can't put what country they are in.......and you expect year and model??????

he can't find the coolant level in his owners manual.......or on line from you??????

like it shouldn't have been posted in Maintenance in the first place:stickpoke

it was like having 2 'dust in my dash' threads this morning one with the solution......from a long time ago, solved by cleophus james

and guess who was involved in that thread:stickpoke

you got it :naughty:???????

I feel your pain brother. :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt have the owners manual at the time nor did I know where to get the manuals (have them now) and why would this be posted in the maintenance section? its a problem not a question on maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts