Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
how about me.....

june 16th
i'm on my Harley softail classic with my wife
somewhere in north carolina near the blue ridge parkway...
highway 810
making a right turn onto a scenic road....
as i turn, i realize that i've UNDERestimated the angle of the turn
it's almost 160 degrees....
i'm not going fast... but, making this turn seems UNlikely at THIS point...
but.... straight ahead of me is a cliff.... and it is about 3,000 feet down, only 5 feet off the road...

i lock up the brakes
and stop, just INCHES before going over
i'm crapping in my pants....
my wife jumps off the bike....
we are going DOWNHILL about 10 degrees at this point and i cannot back up the bike...
i'm afraid to let off the brakes... or i'll go over
she pulls the sissy bar from behind and i push my feet forward (i'm only 5'6", remember... thank goodness that seat was low/would NOT have been able to do this on any of my bmws, of course)

well,
we made it
and i've never been the same again
have flashbacks on occasion, whenever riding in the mountains

so.....
what about you?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
170 Posts
Must be my first low side on track with the MV. It was early season so it was only about 8-10 degrees celcius outside. It was hard to get the tires warm. So after a couple of sessions I got a little bald in a left turn that I hadn't get the hang on on the early sessions.

So I cornered really good on a lap and thought to my self that you must be able to go faster... Next lap I entered the corner in about 100km/h and that was maybee 20 km/h to fast. So had to realese the throttle and whoopsi my tire lost grip and I saw the MV slide one way and my on the asphalt the other way.... The bike wasn't to damaged (se photos in my album) and for it was mostly my pride that got hurt :king:

cheers, zeta

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zeta said:
Must be my first low side on track with the MV. It was early season so it was only about 8-10 degrees celcius outside. It was hard to get the tires warm. So after a couple of sessions I got a little bald in a left turn that I hadn't get the hang on on the early sessions.

So I cornered really good on a lap and thought to my self that you must be able to go faster... Next lap I entered the corner in about 100km/h and that was maybee 20 km/h to fast. So had to realese the throttle and whoopsi my tire lost grip and I saw the MV slide one way and my on the asphalt the other way.... The bike wasn't to damaged (se photos in my album) and for it was mostly my pride that got hurt :king:

cheers, zeta
i'm glad that you were ok...
a bruise ego can heal.
thanks for sharing that story with us

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
170 Posts
spalding12 said:
how about me.....

june 16th
i'm on my Harley softail classic with my wife
somewhere in north carolina near the blue ridge parkway...
highway 810
making a right turn onto a scenic road....
as i turn, i realize that i've UNDERestimated the angle of the turn
it's almost 160 degrees....
i'm not going fast... but, making this turn seems UNlikely at THIS point...
but.... straight ahead of me is a cliff.... and it is about 3,000 feet down, only 5 feet off the road...

i lock up the brakes
and stop, just INCHES before going over
i'm crapping in my pants....
my wife jumps off the bike....
we are going DOWNHILL about 10 degrees at this point and i cannot back up the bike...
i'm afraid to let off the brakes... or i'll go over
she pulls the sissy bar from behind and i push my feet forward (i'm only 5'6", remember... thank goodness that seat was low/would NOT have been able to do this on any of my bmws, of course)

well,
we made it
and i've never been the same again
have flashbacks on occasion, whenever riding in the mountains

so.....
what about you?
sounds like a scary moment...

I had one of thoose road moments also... I was on my way to work on my Triumph Sprint RS. I was filtering when I was meeting a truck that just realised that he had something in the way. He turned over to my side of the road when I was overtaking a volvo. He didn't se me but I sure did see him.

I tride to get as close to the Volvo as possible and didn't wanna hit the brake to get the bike to move. I felt the truck passing me when I slide my knee against something. I got the volvos mirror between my other knee and the handlebar. It was a close moment and when the guy in the Volvo relised I passed him I think he did wake up from the morning drive.

So when ever I'm filtering on the road I think about that moment.

/zeta

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zeta said:
sounds like a scary moment...

I had one of thoose road moments also... I was on my way to work on my Triumph Sprint RS. I was filtering when I was meeting a truck that just realised that he had something in the way. He turned over to my side of the road when I was overtaking a volvo. He didn't se me but I sure did see him.

I tride to get as close to the Volvo as possible and didn't wanna hit the brake to get the bike to move. I felt the truck passing me when I slide my knee against something. I got the volvos mirror between my other knee and the handlebar. It was a close moment and when the guy in the Volvo relised I passed him I think he did wake up from the morning drive.

So when ever I'm filtering on the road I think about that moment.

/zeta
wow...
that situation must have reminded you why it's always good to take an extra pair of underwear whenever you ride

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
2 years ago late spring....
Week long excursion to Mammoth Lakes around Yosemite (best place I ever rode)....great day, but ran a little late...starting to get dark and the quickest way back was through a yosemite high mountain pass. Snow still on sides of road, started to drizzle and the road seemed especially slick, easy on, easy off the throttle, but still slipping....oh no...black ice, steep grades, shear drop offs, no guard rails, no parachute......made it down, but probably could have walked down faster.

2 weeks ago....Deals Gap vicinity
actually went for the rear brake,,,,,,rounding corner on brand new asphault. greeting a dumptruck head on in my lane (he was loading asphault into the paver)......front tires locks up and sliding, not much to grip on the new pavement go for the rear and it gets me down in time with about 15 feet to spare.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lewdog998 said:
2 years ago late spring....
Week long excursion to Mammoth Lakes around Yosemite (best place I ever rode)....great day, but ran a little late...starting to get dark and the quickest way back was through a yosemite high mountain pass. Snow still on sides of road, started to drizzle and the road seemed especially slick, easy on, easy off the throttle, but still slipping....oh no...black ice, steep grades, shear drop offs, no guard rails, no parachute......made it down, but probably could have walked down faster.

2 weeks ago....Deals Gap vicinity
actually went for the rear brake,,,,,,rounding corner on brand new asphault. greeting a dumptruck head on in my lane (he was loading asphault into the paver)......front tires locks up and sliding, not much to grip on the new pavement go for the rear and it gets me down in time with about 15 feet to spare.
wow,
those are 2 harrowing accounts
glad you were ok

thanks for telling us about them

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I will play too, about 4 years ago while i was still in college at Va Tech, riding a GSXR 600 at the time, heading to class on a chilly morning at the end of February. i let the bike warm up a little figuring it would get some heat in the tires. got onto the road and realized it had rained a little the night before but most of the water had dried and it wasn't cold enough to freeze. so i was going around the last turn to get to the campus and park to head into class. Thought i would be a bad ass and accelearte a little early in the turn before i was all the way through it so the rear tire slid out to the left, back to the right, and out to the left again but not as far as the first time. all i remember is leaning forward on the bike out of reaction. Bike stayed up but shut off completely. i pulled it over to the side of the road and just started to laugh that histarical laugh someone that almost crapped in their pants would make. When i finally got to class my friend pointed out that i was shakking(i didn't even notice) so i told her what happen. you couldn't have fit a tooth pick there was so much pucker!!! :eek:

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have had a few hairy experiences but I will never forget the one that gave me that “life flashing before my eyes” moment. I could talk about some that were alcohol influenced, but those frights were tempered by liquid stupidity.

I took a cross country (Jersey to Phx) in 1983 on my GS700E, with clip on flexi-fairing. I was consuming about 500 miles/day and staying in hostels. I decided to combine the last two legs (Wharton, OK to Albuquerque, NM, then on to Chandler, AZ) when I found a party going on at the hostel and could not sleep.

I made it to Oak Creek Canyon, AZ when fatigue set in hard. I was traveling at about 85 mph most of the way, and going through some great curves in the canyon. Well, I found myself nodding off on the bike! I had taken my helmet off to increase the stimulation (wind and sound), had a dip of Copenhagen in my cheek, yet I could not keep alert. One nod recovery had me seeing a brown “figure” in my path. Life truly flashed before me and I thought death had come to get me. In reality, I had passed a disabled vehicle, missing it on its left by a foot, or so.

Recovering my wits, I rationalized that this would no doubt resolve my nodding off problem. It did not, as I was back to it 10 minutes later. I resorted to dismounting every 15 minutes, walking in the desert, and then getting back at it.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greeneggs&ham said:
I will play too, about 4 years ago while i was still in college at Va Tech, riding a GSXR 600 at the time, heading to class on a chilly morning at the end of February. i let the bike warm up a little figuring it would get some heat in the tires. got onto the road and realized it had rained a little the night before but most of the water had dried and it wasn't cold enough to freeze. so i was going around the last turn to get to the campus and park to head into class. Thought i would be a bad ass and accelearte a little early in the turn before i was all the way through it so the rear tire slid out to the left, back to the right, and out to the left again but not as far as the first time. all i remember is leaning forward on the bike out of reaction. Bike stayed up but shut off completely. i pulled it over to the side of the road and just started to laugh that histarical laugh someone that almost crapped in their pants would make. When i finally got to class my friend pointed out that i was shakking(i didn't even notice) so i told her what happen. you couldn't have fit a tooth pick there was so much pucker!!! :eek:
a very fortunate ending to that would-be mishap
thanks for telling us

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SteveC said:
I have had a few hairy experiences but I will never forget the one that gave me that “life flashing before my eyes” moment. I could talk about some that were alcohol influenced, but those frights were tempered by liquid stupidity.

I took a cross country (Jersey to Phx) in 1983 on my GS700E, with clip on flexi-fairing. I was consuming about 500 miles/day and staying in hostels. I decided to combine the last two legs (Wharton, OK to Albuquerque, NM, then on to Chandler, AZ) when I found a party going on at the hostel and could not sleep.

I made it to Oak Creek Canyon, AZ when fatigue set in hard. I was traveling at about 85 mph most of the way, and going through some great curves in the canyon. Well, I found myself nodding off on the bike! I had taken my helmet off to increase the stimulation (wind and sound), had a dip of Copenhagen in my cheek, yet I could not keep alert. One nod recovery had me seeing a brown “figure” in my path. Life truly flashed before me and I thought death had come to get me. In reality, I had passed a disabled vehicle, missing it on its left by a foot, or so.

Recovering my wits, I rationalized that this would no doubt resolve my nodding off problem. It did not, as I was back to it 10 minutes later. I resorted to dismounting every 15 minutes, walking in the desert, and then getting back at it.
great story
reminds me of the time i fell asleep at the wheel on I-95 in Ft. Lauderdale... having left the university of miami one friday afternoon after finals (having been up all night studying)....
to find myself 3 lanes to the right... in the middle of rush hour
it was by the grace of God that something worse didn't happen
that DID wake me up for a bit

glad you got out of that one ALIVE

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
ok...i'll bite here.

last year down at the dragon...well on the way to the dragon. lovely scenic 45 min ride and good warmup before you actually get to the tail. i'm following 3 guys and we are hitting some serious mountain roads. there is this 180 degree turn that is 1mph maybe but it is so sharp and steep (think slinky) that the MV couldn't make turn at the path i chose. my front wheel falls off the asphalt and then my rear when i get on the gas believing i had made it. i'm riding on a thin patch of dirt next to the road which borders a very steep decline and certain "it's all over".

well...the rest of the guys kept on riding while i was trying to get the MV back up on the road. took about 25 feet to finally get back on the road and get my eyeballs back in my head. :eek: but now i had to catch up to the pack because i had no idea where i was. so i start getting on it and these roads have some serious curves. i'm desperately trying to catch them remembering that there is no cell phone service up there. i'm coming too fast taking a right hand hairpin (that's the only kind of turns there were) and i drift over the yellow and here comes a nice sized SUV. :eek:

i manage ok and eventually i catch them. they didn't even realize i wasn't behind them. when we stop i let them know i almost fell off the mountain!!! i became a much more careful and better rider after that trip. :eek:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts