MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from what may be one of the few last rides I take on Senna #174, when it dawned on me that much of the pleasure, aside from the sound, look and handling, can be derived from blipping the throttle on downshifts. When I compare the experience of riding the 750 Senna to either the 1000s or Ago, which wouldn't allow for the downshift blip, I have to say I enjoyed the Senna over the other two. What say you fellow members to this?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize it's not needed but don't you miss it?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
drmasis said:
I just returned from what may be one of the few last rides I take on Senna #174, when it dawned on me that much of the pleasure, aside from the sound, look and handling, can be derived from blipping the throttle on downshifts. When I compare the experience of riding the 750 Senna to either the 1000s or Ago, which wouldn't allow for the downshift blip, I have to say I enjoyed the Senna over the other two. What say you fellow members to this?

Wow, there's a few people saying it's not needed :jsm: I don't believe that, it most certainly is needed for smooth riding.
It was one thing that pissed me off with the 1000S which would'nt blip between 3000-4500rpm, but would everywhere else in the rpm range, happily :) I can report the R version, as probably the Senna as well will blip everywhere on down changes, and yes I enjoy getting that bit right as well :naughty:

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
It's simple - pair an unconditioned stimulus (throttle blipping) with a conditioned response (motorcycle riding enjoyment), and pretty soon you have a direct link between throttle blipping and enjoyment. :)

Pavlov's dog rides again!! :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike, I agree with you about the smoothness factor. I test rode the R at Cliff's in Danbury and was very impressed with the package.
Sven, thanks for the behavioral explanation!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
drmasis said:
Mike, I agree with you about the smoothness factor. I test rode the R at Cliff's in Danbury and was very impressed with the package.
Sven, thanks for the behavioral explanation!
+1
I get as much enjoyment out of a good smooth flowing ride with no mistakes as a fast one, and if i'm smooth AND fast it's one to savor :drummer: :drummer:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Wow, there's a few people saying it's not needed :jsm: I don't believe that, it most certainly is needed for smooth riding.
i didn't say it wasn't needed
but.... (and please remember that i am NOT a racer).... it all depends on what you get used to

i've ridden about 160,000 miles (plenty at a good "pace") and have blipped less than most, i suppose

though throttle control is a bit more critical on my brutale than on most bikes (though, it's gotten better since the new exhaust and EPROM was installed), i bet i'm just a smooth as the BLIPPERS in most situations

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
spalding12 said:
i didn't say it wasn't needed
but.... (and please remember that i am NOT a racer).... it all depends on what you get used to

i've ridden about 160,000 miles (plenty at a good "pace") and have blipped less than most, i suppose

though throttle control is a bit more critical on my brutale than on most bikes (though, it's gotten better since the new exhaust and EPROM was installed), i bet i'm just a smooth as the BLIPPERS in most situations
Surely with out the "blip" it just upsets the bike?
I have watched at a fair few track days at my local circuit, and the people who do not blip just upset the bike so much when approaching a corner, I mean the over run into a corner is deemed so important that MV have the EBS system and there's countless slipper clutch kits out there.

On my monster S4R I used to set the fast idle to about 1800rpm when I was in fun mode just to smooth corner entry stuff out :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
mikef4uk said:
It was one thing that pissed me off with the 1000S which would'nt blip between 3000-4500rpm, but would everywhere else in the rpm range, happily :) I can report the R version, as probably the Senna as well will blip everywhere on down changes, and yes I enjoy getting that bit right as well :naughty:
Mike, I agree with you as well.

That IS something that still pisses me off about my 1000S.
That may be just the reason I need (for the wife) to trade up for the R. ;)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're not blippin, you're bloopin!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
jsdp said:
Mike, I agree with you as well.

That IS something that still pisses me off about my 1000S.
That may be just the reason I need (for the wife) to trade up for the R. ;)
Yeah, I tried everything, even spent a saturday afternoon in and out with in between hooked up to a laptop messing with the power commander settings for low fuelling and accelerator pump stuff, the only thing I achieved was upsetting the neighbours! nothing I tried would make the ba****d blip!
But it's not all singing and dancing on the R either, yes, it will blip on downchanges, but that annoying retarded ignition bit on the S that fixes itself after 3000rpm is there untill 5000 on the R, and on small throttle openings while accelerating smoothly out of bends in "cruise mode" the bike takes off like a two stroke!!

I have the RG3 ecu on order in an attempt to fix it :naughty:

I'm also not sure about the brakes either, trying to blip smoothly whilst braking is harder on the R, I'm messing about trying to get more lever movement at the moment so my finger will slide on the lever better

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hey guys, I do not have an MV (yet) and have not owned an I-4 (I have a Ducati) so maybe that is why I dont understand this "blip" thing. Then again I may just be an idiot :D. In any case, would you guys mind giving me a quick description of what this "blip" is? I'm going to test ride the F41000S on wednesday so I'd like to see what all this "blip" is about!

·
Registered
617 Posts
In response, a "blip" is a brief throttle opening during deceleration downshifting while the clutch is disengaged to match (or at least bring back up) the engine speed to the clutch and wheel speed. Without it when you re-engage the clutch the bike goes from low rpms back to high solely by rear wheel traction, and results in a little chatter while the engine matches the clutch basket speed. That is a BLIP. Hope that helps.

NOW, MY QUESTION FOR EVERYONE IS THIS!!! WHY DIDN'T ANYONE MENTION THIS BEFORE????? I've been riding my 1000S for 250 miles and can't for the life of me figure out why when I throttle match at low rpms the bike doesn't do it! I thought something was wrong??? I even have the RG3 and EPROM on the bike already, but I give a little blip on the throttle and nothing happens.

Is this normal? Was the bike built this way intentionally? Why does it do that? Anyone that could elaborate on the throttle blip, it would help immensely. I am TRULY missing out on my "BLIP". I miss it, and I was damn good at it and feel like something's wrong when shifting and there's no blip to match engine speed. Is it all in my head, because I miss it and feel unsettled without it.

Thanks!

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
spalding12 said:
1. GREAT avatar... one of the best ever

2. maybe i better RE-connect this part of my riding brain
Many thanks - I'm very pleased with it.

I can help with that - I'll even offer you a cut price, satisfaction guaranteed deal! All you have to do is cover airfares and accomodation! ;)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I blip the throttle on my 1000s when ever I'm in the twisties or even when riding aggressively and am seriously concerned with those that don't. Even with the torque diverter on the MV a blip will still serve to not only smooth your downshifts, but also stabilize the bike. It will also save your clutch and ready you for the up coming apex. It's definetly not the easy bike(1000s) to do it, but it seems to work fine once your up in the RPM range. Iquess I'm used to it now because I can't imagine riding with out it. I'm when your really moving through the tight stuff and traction is limited the last thing you want to do is give the bike more to deal with!?!
:shitfan:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Interesting thread this one. I'm a confirmed blipper and always have been. I think with modern bikes and very tight machining tolerances on gearbox components, it's probably not as essential as perhaps it used to be, but I agree with Mike, it adds to the riding experience IMO and if you have open pipes fitted it sounds good too. :smoking: Sorry Grandma!!! :jsm:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts