MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
"Spectacular" is the exact word. Welcome, Dan. --A four-hour ride is no joke this time of the year. Thumbs up
#

Dude, in this weather, can't get heat in tyres on our roads, very twitchy. Spectacular indeed but I've read about "hyper acceleration" of the F4 and it's no lie!!! Just need to get to the track, she hates road riding, I don't, but the bike is not happy with anything below 60mph :wink2:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
#

Dude, in this weather, can't get heat in tyres on our roads, very twitchy. Spectacular indeed but I've read about "hyper acceleration" of the F4 and it's no lie!!! Just need to get to the track, she hates road riding, I don't, but the bike is not happy with anything below 60mph :wink2:
Not to mention slimy roads during the winter months.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Check your chain, it looks a tad tight in the photo.
Yea, i thought that too, with no weight on the bike, I get the desired movement up and down when on it, about 10mm slack in it, it only ever has me on it and I'm 76kg.

To be honest, it's going to be changed at some point, it's an old chain and the links suffer with a bit of corrosion, so I keep it heavily lubed and will get a Gold DID X ring chain n sprocket set for it in the coming months. The shop had obviously cleaned it right up to make it look better than it is, as with in a week it had gone orange! Ordered a new chain brush to clean it up in the meantime.

Thanks Edward, greatly appreciated input bud.

·
Super Moderator
22,038 Posts
Setting proper chain slack, especially on a First Generation F4, will help mitigate rear hub problems.

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Not 10 mm slack ..... 10 mm from bottom edge of chain guard to center of link below it while on the rear wheel stand Different models call for different distances, for example my SPR calls for 6 mm.
How are you measuring your chain adjsutment?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Not 10 mm slack ..... 10 mm from bottom edge of chain guard to center of link below it while on the rear wheel stand Different models call for different distances, for example my SPR calls for 6 mm.
How are you measuring you chain adjsutment?
Guys, you're all correct, it's way over tight, it seems slacker at certain points but mainly too tight, the chain sits behind the chain guard not below it most of the time! I've asked the garage I bought it from to send me a replacement chain and sprocket set, as I pointed out to them that it was worn before i even went to test ride it and they only cleaned it up.

Don't want any damage being caused to the hub. So will get that sorted before riding it again! Thanks ever so much for the advice and support, it's greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Guys, you're all correct, it's way over tight, it seems slacker at certain points but mainly too tight, the chain sits behind the chain guard not below it most of the time! I've asked the garage I bought it from the send me a replacement chain and sprocket set, as I pointed out to them that it was worn before i even went to test ride it and they only cleaned it up.

Don't want any damage being caused to the hub. So will get that sorted before riding it again! Thanks ever so much for the advice and support, it's greatly appreciated!
New Chain and Sprocket kit dispatched and on it's way apparently. The sales service has been excellent, but i think their shop (mechanics/garage) side of the business has let them down.

Thankfully, I'll have a beautiful bike, with new rear end, Mitch Hub, disc, pads, chain and sprocket, just in time for the spring/summer weather. I wish I could do some of the miles backwards and keep them low on the odometer, but I adore this bike more than any other and any female I've ever "had", so I don't think I can keep the miles too low, she will be well maintained but ridden. Avoiding wet (corrosive/salty) and windy weather only. That is after all the main function of these machines, except for also being pieces of art. I wish I could own 2, one to perv/stare at and keep at 0 miles and one to admire as equally but ride and use. Maybe i'll start playing lottery again... ;)

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Is the photo deceptive? Chain looks way loose to me, especially when taking into account the upper sag. I know you said 'final adjustment done' but something looks wrong. I hope it's not just me.:( (and this is constructive rather than critical)

·
Administrator
19,486 Posts
Is the photo deceptive? Chain looks way loose to me, especially when taking into account the upper sag. I know you said 'final adjustment done' but something looks wrong. I hope it's not just me.:( (and this is constructive rather than critical)
That actually looks about right !! 6 mm from bottom edge of guard to center of link of link pin.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Single
Cheers Ed. Damn! Maybe mine's too tight!!:ROFLMAO:
Single swing arm machines all require a bit more slack than the dual arm stuff as a general rule, but the F4 in particular, requires sag that looks lose when sat still, but when you (I) sit on the bike, the chain tension increases and the movement in it is about 20mm up and down with my weight on it

As Esq'zme says, the book tension measurement on this bike is exactly 6mm below the lower edge of the chain guard to the centre of the pin. This is about right, by eye, not that I've measured it specifically, but it rides lovely and feels about right to me.

My best mate is a truck mechanic and the lads in his work shop were telling me "it's way too loose" " You need to tighten that up mate". No mate, I don't, because I've got wonderful people like you guys on here to help me with advice and provide links to the workshop manuals and all the specific info to these little tinkers! ;)
They were telling me that when I'm off it, I want the slack I get when I'm on it. But I argued, if i did that, I'd have a rock solid chain when my weight is on it. I'm only a feather weight 76kg :)

Nige, you may want to consider adjusting yours if the chain sits behind the chain guard with no weight on it. You need a torque wrench to do this correctly without damaging the hub.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I only just noticed Edward's post way before mine. Ample proof of how we view things differently! Quite funny. :)
Edward was looking at my chain before I replaced it, it was WAY over tight and rusty, so tension wasn't even consistent. The new chain is clean, smooth and retains the same tension all the way along it. Much improved. I had a peak at the pics of your bike, your tension is about right also, the position of the chain to the chain guard is about right, maybe a touch on the tight side, but not by much if at all.
I'll keep an eye on mine as the 150 miles I've done on the new chain were not at high speed or under significant load, the final adjustment was a tweak to slacken it a touch to get the right 6mm below chain guard. It may slacken naturally with a bit more use so may get tweaked a bit tighter, but I'm pleased with it and feels great to ride! ;) (y)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts