MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering a pair of those abrasion resistant jeans.. do you guys have any experience or advice in this department?

So far.. I've found only a few manufacturers:

Icon
http://www.rideicon.com/
Sliders
http://www.competitionaccessories.com/category.cfm?Category=2021
Teknic
http://www.competitionaccessories.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=12761
Dragin Jeans
http://www.dragginjeans.com/
Kushitani (they use Zylon instead of Kevlar, not sure what the difference is)
http://www.kushitani.com/kushitani-web/productslzylonjeans.htm
Joe Rocket

What advice can you guys impart and what good/bad experience have you had?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
The only two I have experience with are the Draggin Jean and Joe Rocket's Jeans. Dragging Jeans are hot but they work. I crash tested them in 2002 at around 40mph. ;) They worked so well that after a wash, you couldn't tell they were in an accident. Becareful when you wash them because they shrink in the dryer.

I have a pair of Joe Rocket Jeans new and don't like them -at all. I don't think it's as sturdy as the DR's. More of steel mesh lined verse Kevlar. Worst of all, there's a little metal nub by the pocket that can gouge your gas tank if you're pushing your bike. I know you didn't ask about the JR jeans but I dislike them so much I had to respond.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
spalding12 said:
better than regular jeans..... but a pathetic substitute for leather.... or better cordura

don't trust them
ATGATT the is the ONLY way to ride (all the gear, all the time)
Oh, one other thing. You NEED knee protection. Even though the jeans help up during my accident, I need up getting cuts on my knees from friction between my skin and the road. Just one other thing to consider.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Draggin' jeans are good. I've got the jeans and the cargo pants. One complaint is the pockets are too small.... too shallow things can fall out if you are sitting, etc. so that is annoying.

Never tried putting them in the drier. Anything with 'special' fabrics don't get the drier treatment from me.

Ditto on the knee protection. I'm actually about to buy the Forcefield suit (have the back protector) which should sort out any lack of armor on anything for me.

-colin

·
Premium Member
2,486 Posts
Looks like Netizen FINALLY got his sister to pose for another Avatar photo!!! :naughty: :smoking: :yo: :jerkoff:

Black Icon "Recon" pants for me, over Fox knee/shin guards. The pants are well-reinforced, comfy, with lots of deeeeep pockets. Say what you want about my Urban-Superbika-Gansta-Stlye-E-O, but they fit well and I don't think about them.

+1 on the knee/shin protection. The Fox 'sleeves' I wear under jeans I believe are from their mountain-bike line? It is a lycra sleeve that you slide up over your leg, with a stretchy cuff that ends up about mid-thigh. Sewn onto each sleeve is a low-profile, hard plastic knee cup w/pad and shin guard w/pad, and at the ankle there is a short zipper. Socks and compression shorts go on first, pull on the Fox thingy's, then hop into the jeans and find your boots. In this configuration I can opt for padded lycra compression shorts from my dirtbike attire, biking shorts, or just my plain ol' skivs.

Dress like you are going to crash, 'cause even if you don't, you will look cool and feel good. If you aren't thinking about your attire, you can focus on the road, so be comfy, and be bulletproof.

One last thought, buy the jeans a bit LONGER in the leg, so you don't go riding around in your high-waters!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
spalding12 said:
better than regular jeans..... but a pathetic substitute for leather.... or better cordura

don't trust them
ATGATT the is the ONLY way to ride (all the gear, all the time)
Totally agree Greg, :) I went out on my Duke this afternoon with my wife on pillion, it was nice and sunny about 8 or 10 degrees C (whats that; about 50F for our American friends) she hasn't got any leather bike trousers at the mo and was complaining her knees were cold after only about 30 miles whereas yours truly was fine up front. It's her birthday at the end of this month so I guess I'd better buy her some (leather trousers that is before you ask :naughty: :naughty: )

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I use to have a pair of Draggin jeans but they are too baggy and I am of the guys on a MC Hammer music video.

I brought a pair of leather jeans in a flee market for something like $10.00 and I use a kids size motorcross knee and shin protector underneath the jeans. I've put a couple of holes in them as I keep scrapping my knees on the road.

In summer depending on how hot it gets in Sydney, I usually wear a full motorcross body armour over a long sleeve t-shirt.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I emailed Draggin Jeans.. asking them what makes their jeans better than the other guys i've listed above.. here is their response:

I cannot speak to the details of most of the jeans, but I do know some general differences. We use 14 ounce 100% Kevlar in the knees and seat of our Draggin Jeans. I do not know if the companies who claim to use Kevlar are using 100% Kevlar. I have seen some of them and the Kevlar is not nearly as heavy of a weight as what we use. The Icon jeans do not have any protection in the seat (only in the knees). They use an “aramid” fiber which is completely non-descript and is most likely not Kevlar. The Kushitani jeans are not reinforced (lined) with any protection. They use 3% zylon blended in with the cotton in the jeans. They claim that makes the jeans 2 times stronger. The Joe Rocket jeans are lined with nylon, not Kevlar.
I hope that helps. I am completely biased when I tell you our jeans are the best! Plus, I’m not sure that any other company has ever attempted drag tests like we do!
Thanks and ride safe!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
lewdog998 said:
IF i decide to try some draggin jeans, then I will be supplement with something like this http://www.actionstation.com/bohnsection/
that goes under the jeans.
Looks like a good system and money well spent.

I purchased a pair of Hornee jeans as interim protection after gaining weight when I injuered myself (first running then weights) as the Draggin jeans did not fit me. I found them very large in the waist and skinny in the leg. I also found the Hornee jeans to be the only other brand that has 100% Kevlar and from memory they have more of it.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Force Field products.

I've got the back protector, i've just ordered the shirt and pants. I'll wear this under the jeans when I get it.

It's nice...... fantastic reviews.

http://www.tprobodyarmour.co.uk/

anybody else got these? I really like it. I'm ordering a couple sets for friends here as well. cool max. Back protector Level 2 protection.

armor breathable.

giddyup.

:moped:

·
Registered
796 Posts
look nice and not as bulky as other products.don t forget to give the feedback in regards with the shirt and the pants

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Friend of mine has it....so I can comment a bit before I get it. I think it is great in that you can customize the inserts on the shirt/pants to be whatever you want. So if a favorite jacket is lacking somewhere, this will supplement it. The biggest supplement i see over any jacket I have is some amount of chest protection.

In addition, it fits to your skin (it is tight), so the armor stays where it is supposed to. so if your weight varies, your jacket will go on and off loose, but this will always be relatively tight.

I tend to wear ski wear underneath (under armor basically) for wicking, so this stuff will do that as well.

The armor got VERY good reviews in BIKE (brit mag). They've got a distributor here in Japan, so I would imagine most other countries have it by now as well! :)

·
Registered
796 Posts
is it any good in the summer time?and can it be worn as the only protective gear under a perforated leather jacket?i plan to order on line from them.they are not exactly cheap but the specs sound pretty good and it beats wearing leather pants

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
allias86 said:
is it any good in the summer time?and can it be worn as the only protective gear under a perforated leather jacket?i plan to order on line from them.they are not exactly cheap but the specs sound pretty good and it beats wearing leather pants

It's impact protection.... combined with a wicking layer. I wear wicking layers in the summer anyway (lots of patagonia capilene). So that works for me.

The thing it ISN'T is abrasion protection. Combine that with something like Draggin Jeans, leather pants, etc. (where armor is missing), and I think it's great.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
allias86 said:
they only send to mainlain britain for some ocult reason.i can probably make an order from their turkey dealer which is about 600 km from where i live

Did you call them? before the Japan distributor sorted their shit out, when I (we....was with a guy from work who did the actual order) called them (UK), they gave us items at a wholesale price and did shipping here from the UK. So I'll bet they can do it.....if you call and are nice. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts