MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about replacing some bolts on my MV just to freshen it up. Many used to be golden cadmium finished, (I assume, I didn't buy it new), but that's long dissolved/flaked off/washed away/transcended reality, or whatever it is happens to cadmium coatings.

Anyway, does anyone know a way of protecting this coating? A spray on lacquer perhaps?

Or should I just replace the lot with shiny stainless?..

Si

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
You could buy one of those Titanium fixings kit, all the correct lengths, sizes ect for you type of bike.....save a bit of weights as well (yeah right!)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
I'm thinking about replacing some bolts on my MV just to freshen it up. Many used to be golden cadmium finished, (I assume, I didn't buy it new), but that's long dissolved/flaked off/washed away/transcended reality, or whatever it is happens to cadmium coatings.

Anyway, does anyone know a way of protecting this coating? A spray on lacquer perhaps?

Or should I just replace the lot with shiny stainless?..

Si
The std finish is a zinc plate with a yellow chromate (I think) dip, if you can find an electroplating company they can replate all your existing bolts/brackets etc, and it's cheap! I used to get virtually buckets of stuff done for car projects, £50 a bucket full or there abouts, they just tumble the stuff around in the plating solution in a wire mesh cage from memory :)

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
mikef4uk said:
The std finish is a zinc plate with a yellow chromate (I think) dip, if you can find an electroplating company they can replate all your existing bolts/brackets etc, and it's cheap! I used to get virtually buckets of stuff done for car projects, £50 a bucket full or there abouts, they just tumble the stuff around in the plating solution in a wire mesh cage from memory :)
do you have to cover the threads with tape so they dont get plated?

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always presumed the gold tint on the fasteners was nothing more than the same "finish" found on high grade nuts and bolts from the local hardware store. Looks the same to me anyway.

Always thought it was a side affect from the heat/temper/whatever process used on the grade 8 stuff.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
lewdog998 said:
do you have to cover the threads with tape so they dont get plated?
No, you just plate eveything, the plating thickness is negligable, and it's the same process that is used on the nuts/bolts/fasteneres/everything from new, the "chromate dip" is why they lose their colour quite easy, it really is just a hot dip to colour them and with time just rubs off, a good ex of this is the quarter turm fasteners on the fairing. :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
ten~39 said:
I always presumed the gold tint on the fasteners was nothing more than the same "finish" found on high grade nuts and bolts from the local hardware store. Looks the same to me anyway.

Always thought it was a side affect from the heat/temper/whatever process used on the grade 8 stuff.
Nah, it's just a colour :) not heat/temper at all :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
How should you prepare the bolts for re-plating? I imagine they have to be absolutely spotless?

Si
The plating company will acid strip the remaining zinc off them I would imagine, but from experience if the bolt is rough and needed sandblasting or wire brushing to remove rust before I sent it, it would come back dull.

Frosts do a "DIY" plating kit www.frost.co.uk they also sell the "Battery Mat" which you can fit around you battery so if it leaks it won't do your bike harm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts