MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been doing a lot of events lately, kind of shopping around for a potential 3rd bike. Some things they do better than the F4, some things worse. One thing I noticed that was universally better on my F4 though:

The transmission. Specifically the ease of shifting and the synchros. Ive never had an issue matching and the closest thing I can compare it to is to a Mark V rifle action.

I've ridden new Ducatis, BMWs, Triumphs, Hondas, Guzzis (of course not, ha), and even a couple MVs and nothing feels as fluid. Its not that they are bad, mind you, its just disappointing if I ride my F4 to them because its obvious back to back and these bikes are new and relatively expensive.

Is this a YMMV thing or are all of the Gen1 boxes like this? Makes me wonder if I would be happier just finding a clean old Brutale for a sport naked.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
The MV transmissions are great in general Ryan, not always that consistent across the range but I love most of them. Carl's 750 Brutale was a good example, I thought it was nicer than his SPR gearbox, it s hard to say though because your leg - footrest angle is quite different between models.
I took a good mates "Tiger pattern" restored CBR900 Fireblade for a ride the other day, crikey that box was smooth, no need for a quickshifter.
The only better box I've ever used is my own race gearboxes, and that took some effort to sort.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts