MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a '06 Brutale. I like changing fluids when I purchase something used so that I know when they were last changed. I've changed the oil and now would like to change the radiator fluid. My local dealer recommends a particular anti-freeze in a 50/50 mixture. I also own a '99 Ducati 996 and the dealer recommends using a non glycol coolant that has no freeze protection. I'm aware that glycol does not transfer heat as well as pure water, but there need to be some additives to prevent corrosion and also lube the water pump seal. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what is acceptable as a coolant that isn't glycol based? I'm thinking I can run the same stuff in the MV as I do in the Ducati. :moped:

·
Super Moderator
22,620 Posts
Where in the world are you and what is your climate?

As a general recommendation, Engine Ice is excellent. It is pre-mixed and it is propylene-glycol.

·
Registered
248 Posts
+1 for Engine Ice. It has excellent thermal recovery properties. Your engine will run noticeably cooler.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Lot's of good options out there, including Engine Ice.....the reality is, any ethylene-glycol coolant at 50% will be fine.

A "Long Life" coolant will be even better (usually blue or orange in color where the standard stuff is green).

Whatever you use, if you don't buy pre-diluted you should use de-ionized water (or distilled water) when you make your 50/50 mix.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I use honda coolant in all my bikes and have for years come pre-mixed in 50/50 and easy to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have mentioned that I live in Los Angeles. It never gets cold enough here to freeze. The solution I use in the Ducati is a non glycol based coolant that can be used on a track because it isn't slippery like regular anti-freeze.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
For my track bike I am using Liquid Performance Ice Water.....track legal and has all the good stuff like pump seal lubricant, anti foaming and anti corrosion..... Lola (SPR750) runs right around 90 C on the track. Just about perfect engine temps for power.

My Gina (910R) has Suzuki Long Life Coolant (blue).......probably exact same stuff as Honda's.....and all the others.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ive never heard anything bad about glycol news to me

any normal 50/50 is fine , i have noticed a lot of places stocking like 70/30 coolants where it is 70% water id probably stick to the 50/50

most critical things would be its pre mixed you never want tap water any where near a radiator , you dont over fill (i think a mechanic fucked my radiator this way)

its a cake walk to change coolant on my bike on bolt and two fill ports, if you want to be super anal replace the liquids every x months , no need for long life made of gold stuff , i did some research when i had radiator issues and using the normal green over the stock blue is nothing to worry about

·
Registered
568 Posts
This is what the manual for my Ducati asks for,

"Anti-freeze (nitride, amine and phosphate free) 30 to 40% solution in water.
SHELL Advance coolant or Glycoshell"

So from that not just any coolant.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
Shell Advance coolant is just glycol based anti-freeze, Ducati has a marketing arrangement with Shell (used to have one with AGIP, too)...so Yes, it is just any coolant. Although they are recommending a lower percentage than the commonly accepted 50/50.

.....By the way, Shell Oil makes most of the Japanese OEM lubricants and related products in the US. They don't ship that stuff from Japan. Private labels by major suppliers is common place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Over time glycol can become acidic and then electrolysis starts dissolving the aluminum. I see this all the time in alloy engine cases. Thanks for all the input everyone. I will probably get some Engine Ice and flush the system first.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The point I was trying to make is the part where they say "nitride, amine and phosphate free"
That's not just any coolant.
I talked to a tech support bloke at Valvoline because I was going to use the Zerex GO5 and he said to use the Dex-Cool.
Something about it's easier on the aluminium in the radiator plus other techo stuff.
I think that one of the above ingredients is not so good for the water pump seals?????
That being said I have been using GO-5 for years in my dirt bikes with seemingly no problems.

·
Super Moderator
22,620 Posts
As I have been using Engine Ice for all of my Motorsports equipment with no ill effect. Most engines these days are partially aluminum. Modern coolants take that into account.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts