MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it would be useful to make a list of words and their pronunciation, because it always sucks going into a dealer to order an Akrapovic and asking for an "`Ack-Row-Poe-Vick".

Here are the ones (I think) I know. Please add your own:
Cagiva: Kuh-`jee-vuh
Marchesini: Mar-kuh-`zee-nee
Nissin: `Ni-sin (both i sounds are like the i in "kit")
Ohlins: `Oh-leens
Akrapovic: Uh-`crop-oh-vik
Aprilia: Uh-`pril-ee-yuh (the ee sylable is almost non-existant)

Did I get any wrong? Anything I missed?

-c

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
cryptyk said:
I thought it would be useful to make a list of words and their pronunciation, because it always sucks going into a dealer to order an Akrapovic and asking for an "`Ack-Row-Poe-Vick".

Here are the ones (I think) I know. Please add your own:
Cagiva: Kuh-`gee-vuh
Marchesini: Mar-kuh-`zee-nee
Nissin: `Ni-sin (both i sounds are like the i in "kit")
Ohlins: `O-lins (The o is like the o in "oat")
Akrapovic: Uh-`crop-o-vik
Aprilia: Uh-`pril-ee-yuh (the ee sylable is almost non-existant)

Did I get any wrong? Anything I missed?

-c
:wtf: :eek: You got it all wrong :toothless

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok...Here are the ones I *don't* know, but would like to:

Agusta
Duc (abreviated Ducati...I always want to say duck)
Bimota

and some more I do know:
Arai: Uh-`rye
Acerbis: Uh-`chair-bis (the initial uh is barely, barely, barely said)
Mille: `Mee-lay

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
cryptyk said:
Arai: Uh-`rye
no.. it's Ah-Lye...

:naughty: which reminds me of the Lethal Weapons 3(?the one with Jet Lee and the Chinese Mafia), uncle Benny in the dentist's office replying to M. Gibson's character:

"...It's fried rice, you plick!" :naughty: :naughty:

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
The worst one is gotta be "Dainese"

I must have heard 50 versions of it...

I believe it is pronouced "Da-ee-neh-zeh" with the "neh" stressed(clearly, the "h" is silent)... I took Italian in high school and have confirmed it with native Italian speakers BTW, I was told sometimes it is said with the ending "zeh" in between "zeh" and "zee", depanding on where, and how old you are...

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
odonata said:
The worse one is gotta be "Dainese"

I must have heard 50 versions of it...

I believe it is pronouced "Da-ee-neh-zeh" with the "neh" stressed(clearly, the "h" is silent)... I took Italian in high school and have confirmed it with native Italian speakers BTW, I was told sometimes it is said with the ending "zeh" in between "zeh" and "zee", depanding on where, and how old you are...
I agree, it's amazining how many different versions of this I've heard and I also believe it pronounced as above.

cryptyk...die knees...you a rapper??? :drummer: it needs an e on the end :stickpoke :laughing: , the majority of people here pronounce it that way including many that work in bike shops which is what makes me wonder. The bike shops must talk to the Dainese reps who must also talk with their head office which in turn must talk with someone in Italy...you would think that someone somewhere along the line would say, actually it's pronounced like this. :)

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
airfuel said:
Ohlins----oh-Leens

This is how they answer the phone and the Ohlins tech says it the same.
I don't doubt that's how they answer the phone... but doesn't it have umlaut on the O of "ohlins"? I know Kenth Ohlin is from Sweden but I wonder if it is pronounced like in German...

·
Registered
6,448 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
all this MV vs 999 stuff.... to me its like 2 attractive young women... just because one is stunningly beautiful and the other is just beautiful doesn't stop you from riding either of them when you get the opportunity....... :smoking:

and if you are able to get both of them to shack up with you at the same time, well some people are just plain lucky bastards........ :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

Doc

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
DoctorMV said:
all this MV vs 999 stuff.... to me its like 2 attractive young women... just because one is stunningly beautiful and the other is just beautiful doesn't stop you from riding either of them when you get the opportunity....... :smoking:

and if you are able to get both of them to shack up with you at the same time, well some people are just plain lucky bastards........ :smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

Doc
:laughing: :laughing: well said!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts