MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who haven't heard yet I purchased a PLX Devices R-300 Wideband Data Logger to log A/F against RPM and throttle position under real world conditions. I ordered the unit March 6th from Horsepowerfreaks.com but the unit was on backorder from the manufacturer. I finally received the unit yesterday, the kind people over at Horsepowerfreaks upgraded my ground shipping to express shipping due to the longer than expected wait time.

I will be posting the progress of my experiences & pictures with the Data Logger on the Brutale to this fine forum. I think the information will shed some light on why we get such bad fuel mileage with these bikes.

Right off the bat I've discovered the first hurdle. The kit did not come with a bung to weld onto the exhaust. After re-reading the product description on the manufacturer website it was confirmed that it does not come with one. I guess I took it for granted that it would be coming with one. I guess it doesn't really matter though since if it did come with one it probably would have been mild steel anyway. Since my plan is to locate the A/F probe on the cat-eliminator pipe I would need a stainless steel one anyway. I found a seller on eBay who sold an Innovate stainless steel bung and plug kit (Innovate part #3736) for $14 bucks shipped and ordered it last night.

I will post some pics of the unit straight out of the box this weekend. Hopefully by the next couple of weeks I can get the bung welded up and have the unit installed for some base measurements.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Interesting, keep us informed :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Cool...look forward to your report.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Part 2:

Even though I don't have the exhaust bung yet I decided to install the PLX-300 without the O2 sensor. In other words I couldn't wait :) This thing is ridiculously easy to install, basically there are only 4 wires which need to be hooked up. Two of them are the power source which needs to be switched on when the ignition is turned on. I decided to use the power going to my license plate light. I replaced my stock license plate light with a LED when I put on my homemade fender eliminator so it wasn't using much amperage and it was in a very convenient location. The third connection was the TPS senor which I tapped into the Power Commander's which was already spliced to the TPS. The fourth and last connection needed is the RPM line which I tapped to the brown wire coming off of the bike's RPM senor harness.

Configuring the TPS sensor range on the R-300 is very simple, all you have to do is set the voltage of what it is at 0% and what the voltage is at 100% open. On my bike it was something like 0.33volts and 4.97volts.

The RPM sensor baseline settings I haven't figured out yet. I didn't have much time to play with it and I haven't even printed out the manual yet. With the default settings on the R-300 the RPM numbers being recorded doesn't look right. I have to fly to the east coast this Tuesday and will use the oppurtunity to read the R-300 manual.

I did do a couple of runs with data logging turned on. It's awesome!!! you can export the data to Excel and play with the output to your hearts delight. The software it comes with is also pretty cool. It has 2D and 3D graphs of logged data but it won't tell me much till I get my O2 sensor installed.

Here's some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:stickpoke OK F4 engine gurus I need help, to setup the RPM sensor on the R-300 I need to know what frequency (in Hertz) the RPM sensor sends out and what actual RPM it's supposed to represent.

Any idea's were I can find out this info?

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Part III:

I haven't had time to work on this for a couple of months due to work and other interests. But I got off my a$$ and starting on it again. I moved the RPM sensor pickup from the RPM harness to the Instrument Panel and WHOLLA!!! Works like a charm. RPM pickup off the instrument cluster is clean as a whistle with no spikes whatsoever, which is a common problem with dataloggers. At idle the datalogger is reading about 39Hz and at 6,000rpm it is reading around 195Hz.

While the tank was off I decided to re-baseline my TPS it was within spec but idle wasn't that smooth lately so I decided to increase the idle stop setting a little bit to 390mV.

I noticed that the datalogger reads the TPS voltage a little higher than what my voltmeter reads directly off the ECU harness. .390 volts versus .512 volts. This is not a big issue for me since it just changes what I baseline "closed throttle" at when reading the datalogger's output. I attribute the difference in voltage to the ECU and the datalogger using different ground sources. For reference I am currently using the power and ground off of the license plate light. I like this because I can put the bike's ignition in "park" and have the datalogger powered on for datalogging playback.

My next step is to get the exhaust bung welded on and get some AFR numbers. I'm hoping to get this done in a couple of weeks because I have to go on travel for work next week and again won't have time to work on it.

Here are some datalogging sessions I captured (*without AFR currently). One sitting at idle, one staring at idle and brought up to 6,000rpm, and one commuting to work :f4:

http://members.cox.net/dumbcomputers/Brutale/idle.xls
http://members.cox.net/dumbcomputers/Brutale/6000.xls
http://members.cox.net/dumbcomputers/Brutale/commute.xls

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to add that the PLX Devices support rocks!!! I posted a question on their support forum and got an answer in less than an hour.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Here's my first run with the O2 sensor attached. I've added columns to the spreadsheet to calculate RPM, Throttle Position in %, and AFR. I removed the data for the first 5 mins (3,000 10ths of a second) of this sample to remove any variance while the engine is not at 100% operating temperature. Looking at the data it looks mighty rich at idle and small throttle openings.

I am currently running a Power Commander with a slightly modified Dynojet M727-501 map. The only mods to my bike is an Arrow mid pipe. Just noticed that Dynojet has a new map "M727-507" posted for this combo. I'll try that one with the Datalogger next.

BTW: I was lane splitting the entire commute so don't expect high RPMs :)

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Brad. I PM'ed Old Baldy.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some templates from O'Baldy but haven't looked at them yet.

Here's my first run with the 507 map. Obviously leaner than the 501 one I posted earlier, still very rich at small throttle openings. Again this is a commute so your not going to see sky high RPMs. I'm not overly concerned with peak horsepower output but more interested in drive ability and mileage. I plan to work on partial throttle and low RPM fueling before the High RPM stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brad black said:
working on the high rpm and throttle stuff can get very interesting on the road.

I know what you mean:) See how long you can purposely keep it in full throttle. obviously these runs will have to be saved for back road riding far from the city.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was miss calculating TPS position in the earlier spreadsheet. Here's a new one. I also added a pivot table against RPM, TPS, and AFR.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
don't weigh yourself down with too much info. it's easy to overload. probably do a bit broader tps averaging too - every degree will just show you issues you can't do anything about in real terms.

it's one of those things where the more you learn, the more you want to know.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here's some results so far.

Air/Fuel for the base 507 Dynojet map. I can't believe how rich it was running with this map since it leans out the fuel curve quite a bit, I can't even image how rich it was running without the Power Commander.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 96 Posts