MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2011 Brutale 1090RR, I only have 3500 klms. on it and I might have a cam chain problem already. I was out for a ride on Sunday and we were tearing it up a bit. Not hitting the rev limiter or anything like that, just some good cornering and some high rev corner exits etc.. After the ride I noticed my engine is making a lot of rattling noise. I know a guy that's a bike mechanic so I took it up to his place to have a listen. When I started the bike he had a very surprised look on his face, he listened to the noise and said it sounds like the cam chain is loose. Has anybody else had some similar to this? I'd like to have some feedback before taking the bike apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been reading some other posts and there seams to be a problem with the cam chain tensioners, but with much higher mileage than mine. Anybody have any input?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Yes, seems like some early 1090's had cam chain tensioner problems, not sure your dealer would replace it under warranty, but I would have a go at it for sure.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If you check out my thread history you will see I have had some issues. The tensioner jams and will not move in either direction.
Whatever you do, do not be tempted to take a shortcut. I can tell you that the chain will jump 1 tooth on the bottom sprocket if you try to pull out the CCT without securing the chain as per the manual.
Tank off, throttle bodies off, inlet manifolds off, sas solenoid off, and voila you have plenty of room to remove the valve cover. Second time I did it, being careful and checking/cleaning as I went, I was done in 4 hours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks. I would have taken the short cut. I'll take your advice and do it the proper way to avoid any more problems. Now I just have to find a tensioner.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike is no longer under warranty. Warranty or not, I think they should cover something like this! Nothing should go wrong at only 3500 klms with an expensive bike like this. It's far to early to be dishing out money for parts and service. It's embarrassing not only for them but for me as well. I know they won't cover it though, maybe I'm just venting a little.
Hey Donsy. Thanks for the links, but I'm just going to order it from a shop here in Canada. Sometimes things can be sitting at the border for quite some time. The riding season up here is much to short to be waiting for customs to clear a critical part.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Fwiw a couple of tips to do the job:
Undo the fuel line at the fuel rail end, there are a few sob stories of people who have broken the plastic part coming out of the tank.
Masking tape on the frame rails
Undo the loom against the rhs frame to make room for the rocker cover
Remove sas to make room
Remove header tank to make room, the long screws that the ign cover bolts to are loctited in, use good Allen keys
I changed the plugs to iridiums while I was in the area
I disconnected the throttle cables at the handlebar and pulled them through rather than disturb the settings at the throttle body end
I changed the stupid soft Philips head screws that clamp the throttle bodies in to the rubber boots

A little oil helps to slip the throttle bodies back on
The rubber bits between the air filter housing and the throttle bodies do not seal well to the housing. I permatexed the connection for peace of mind
The std air filter is a poor fit and unfiltered air can get through. I installed an MWD air filter from startwin. Much better fit and can be cleaned and re-oiled. The change in airflow was within the std mapping parameters according to the diagnostics.

·
Registered
819 Posts
How much are those things costing new up in Ca.? Just an fyi, if your dealer has to order one from Italy you'll be waiting for a while.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've already called around to all the dealers in Ontario, no one stocks it. They will have to order it from Italy. Looks like I won't be riding for awhile :-(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cost is $270 plus the valve cover gasket and of course TAX. I hope I don't have to spend that kind of money every 3500 klms. or there will be a Brutale for sale in Hamilton soon.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yowza, someone is on a nice earner there. Checkout startwin, they use a tracked courier with a minimum cost, but the delivery time is measured in days. I got mine in 4 working days.
In the meantime, if you are mechanically inclined, and proceed carefully, it is possible to remove the centre bolt, spring and steel rod (the ratchet holds the tension on the chain) carefully measure the required extra length and cut a steel rod and then reassemble without the spring to manually move the tensioner foot to put some tension on the cam chain. Each click of the ratchet is equal to 3mm of foot movement, so 1 click can make the difference between a noisy chain and a quiet one.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The cost is $270 plus the valve cover gasket and of course TAX. I hope I don't have to spend that kind of money every 3500 klms. or there will be a Brutale for sale in Hamilton soon.
The modified tensioner is ok, mine has done 11,000 miles with it and so far no problems, if my memory serves me correctly its the same as the 1078 modified unit. Make sure you use a small of sealant on the cam cover gasket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You wouldn't happen to know the length of the steel rod would you? Can I remove the center bolt, spring, and steel rod without removing everything else? or do I have to go through the whole dismantling process?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You can remove the centre bolt, spring and rod without doing the whole process. The ratchet holds the plunger tension on the chain.
I don't remember the rod length. I did everything by measurement. I cut the rod to be 5mm showing outside the tensioner block.

Please do not attempt this without thorough knowledge about what you are doing, and want to achieve. There are lots of pictures of the tensioner and exploded views of it's components to help you work out how it is supposed to work.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've already ordered the part and have started the dismantling of the bike. I also sent a letter to Mv Agusta Canada expressing my disappointment and frustration over this very very low klms break down. We shall see if they step up to the plate and do what's right, replace the part for free.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still have not received the parts and I'm still having back and forth emails with MV Agusta Canada about this issue. They seem to be taking their time replying to my emails, not sure if they are stalling or considering.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK, now I'm worried! I picked up my new cam chain tensioner yesterday and it's a silver one! Is it true that the silver ones are the faulty ones and the black ones are the good ones? The guy at the shop I picked it up from said the color doesn't matter and don't believe everything you read on the internet. I've seen a few picks on the net that show the old ones beside the new ones and there's a noticeably difference, my new one looks exactly like those old ones.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sorry mate you got shafted with an old one. The person who is telling you different is lying to you or really doesn't know any better. Either way, i'd return it for a refund and run very far away from that place.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts