MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a brand new Stradale 800, two months ago. First 1000 km were fantastic, no complaints. Then took the bike to service, they changed oil as they should.

I do not know if its related, but the past two weeks I have severe starting problems. If bike is idle for few hours, it does not start. Ignition button does not not work, i need to press 100 times and pray to all gods for it to start the ignition process. Once the process starts it takes 5-8 seconds for the engine to kick-in, it was not like that before. Sometimes it does not ... and then the button does not work again.

Next, overheating. I've left the bike running on neutral, idle, for 10 minutes. Engine temperature reached maximum. Is it supposed to be that way ?

Next, saddle bags - It has stains all over and the external layer is coming off (peeling).

NEW BIKE ... How come its happening ? :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sounds to me like this bike is not fit for purpose and should be swapped for a new one under the sale of goods act or whatever it's currently called.

Surprising how quickly things get sorted if you start talking like this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey guys,

I bought a brand new Stradale 800, two months ago. First 1000 km were fantastic, no complaints. Then took the bike to service, they changed oil as they should.

I do not know if its related, but the past two weeks I have severe starting problems. If bike is idle for few hours, it does not start. Ignition button does not not work, i need to press 100 times and pray to all gods for it to start the ignition process. Once the process starts it takes 5-8 seconds for the engine to kick-in, it was not like that before. Sometimes it does not ... and then the button does not work again.

Next, overheating. I've left the bike running on neutral, idle, for 10 minutes. Engine temperature reached maximum. Is it supposed to be that way ?

Next, saddle bags - It has stains all over and the external layer is coming off (peeling).

Question here: why do you leave bike idling for such long times?
Or do you mean running as in riding the bike.

No, it is not supposed to overheat riding or idling (although I would never leave an idling motor unattended no matter what it is).

The starting problem could be related to something else (sprag - which then has a service bulletin - read on this very forum about it).

What kind of stain on the saddle bags? External layer peeling off? If bike and its bags are still on warranty, get new bags.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey guys,

NEVER leave the bike idling in neutral for 10 minutes. I believe it mentions that in the owners manual. If you start it, ride it immediately.

It sounds like you have an intermittent starter switch that needs to be replaced. Pretty simple fix that your dealer will take care of.

I've had my B3 in the shop at least 8 times for various problems but I will say MV has taken care of me. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty this month and just had the lens to my turn signal drop off. Not a big deal but it's $63 I really didn't want to spend. I'm still looking at the Yamaha FZ-09 and thinking maybe I should have bought that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This sounds a lot like operator error to me.

Starting problems? It could easily be the BS battery still there in the one you got. This has been discussed at length; buy a quality aftermarket one and replace it.

Could also be the sprag. Could also be the starter switch tobysdad mentioned above. Both of these the dealer can take care of.

Leaving it idle for 10+ minutes? Sorry but that's your own fault right there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
NEVER leave the bike idling in neutral for 10 minutes. I believe it mentions that in the owners manual. If you start it, ride it immediately.
The bike is allowed to sit like that by the dealer when learning a new map. It has to sit, get hot and have the fans running.

Letting it sit and idle for 10 minutes should NEVER be a problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The bike is allowed to sit like that by the dealer when learning a new map. It has to sit, get hot and have the fans running.

Well, the owners manual states:

• Avoid warming up the engine while the vehicle
is stationary. The subsequent engine overheating
can cause damage to the internal
parts of the engine. It is advisable to bring the
engine to the working temperature by riding
at reduced speed.

·
Registered
780 Posts

That's true, did the same thing with mine.
But i agree never to keep a bike running idle for the sake of warming up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts