MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my bike in at the shop to have a reverse drum installed. I have not ridden it much since then. On previous trips I had noticed that during down shifting it would not always take. I would have to try it twice a couple of times. Today I went on a small errand and every time I needed to down shift, I would have to do it several times before it would take. Even in first gear. The lever will move 3 out of 4 times like it can shift down again. On the forth time it will stop like normal and not move.

So what are my options? Bike shifted fine before the reverse drum was installed. Have not had very good luck with just general communication with the dealer and think I am giving up on them.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Hi Andrew.
Surely the guys who did this work guarantee the quality of their work.
As it stands, this is unsafe.

I guess I have two questions.
The first one is did you supply any parts for this job?
Secondly, most folks opt for reverse shift systems because of high lean angles, typically during track use. Do you prefer the reverse shift system or do you actually need it?
Ciao,
Dave.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Andrew.
Surely the guys who did this work guarantee the quality of their work.
As it stands, this is unsafe.

I guess I have two questions.
The first one is did you supply any parts for this job?
Secondly, most folks opt for reverse shift systems because of high lean angles, typically during track use. Do you prefer the reverse shift system or do you actually need it?
Ciao,
Dave.

They supplied the drum. I paid for it in February. Part arrived in March. After spending the entire day there I was told they sent the standard drum and not the reverse drum. New part was to be ordered. I would call once a month and was told they would get an answer and call me back. Never called me back. I knew MV was having supplier issues at the time so I did not push the issue. After several months of calls with no call back for solution and seeing that other members were getting their parts. I called and spoke to a manager. 2 weeks later I had the part. First of July I had the work done. They had me take it out in the lot for a small test ride to see if everything was OK. It was fine at that time. I have been on 3 rides since and it has acted up some, but today was bad. To show another reason why I am displeased with this dealer. I called back a week after the work was done to see if they changed the oil filter when they did the work, since they had to drain the oil. I was told yes, I did not pay for a filter but since I waited nearly 6 months for a part I had already paid for and this was the second trip to get the job done. I felt they must of threw it in on the job. When I had the fairing off to see that the clutch cover is not sealed correctly and I have a very small leak--another reason I am mad. This also happened after the first visit that I had to fix. I discover that the filter is still the same one.

For your second question. I have been doing the GP shifting for years and feel the most comfortable this way. I drove Mono Lisa for about 500 miles this spring before the reverse drum was installed and had several mis-shifts.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Sounds like it's not fully releasing the clutch plates. On my STM it was because the diaphragm spring screws were backing out and the spring could not fully actuate and release the friction plates- made down shifting so bad I wore a hole on top of my big toe throughout the day at the track. Pull the clutch cover off and have a look. You can tell M that with the parts holdup in Italy that you'll never get the OEM springs Noel is talking about in time for the Gap, and that you need an STM slipper or similar instead. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
From what Andrew describes I'd agree with Noel, it's a spring problem at the very least. I doubt very much it's the clutch Ian, not with lever movement like he describes.

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
I am on board with the shift lever side of things.
An additional question: Does Mona have a shift linkage, or is the shift lever directly connected to the shaft?
I have had trouble shifting when the linkage connecting the lever to the shaft has become loose.

It has been a pregressive failure. The shift spring is usually a step-change.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank guys. I will find out today since I need to reseal the clutch cover. I am going to do an oil change at the same time. Will not be a problem to pull the other side at the same time to check.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am on board with the shift lever side of things.
An additional question: Does Mona have a shift linkage, or is the shift lever directly connected to the shaft?
I have had trouble shifting when the linkage connecting the lever to the shaft has become loose.

It has been a pregressive failure. The shift spring is usually a step-change.
No linkage Chuck. Lever connected directly to the shaft.

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
That's what I thought Andrew...probably a weak or broken spring then.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Started working on her after my 14 mile run this morning:conveyer:.

Here is what I found. Nothing is broken. Spring #35 is fine. The problem was that #24 was hung up. A small particle must of wedged itself between the part and the housing. I had to use some electrical wire to push it out from the back side. For the electricians here, it was the hot wire from some 14/2 I had:violin:.

Cleaned it up and it is working now. I am going to keep testing it before I place it all back together. Still need to clean the clutch housing and place some gasket maker on it. Is an enjoyable day to work on it in the basement:f4:

·
Super Moderator
22,321 Posts
Nice find Andrew...glad it was not costly. For any BIG particles, I would use 12/2....:smoking:

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have some 6/2 down at the house I am rebuilding:naughty:

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She is all back together. No leaks and she shifts again. Going to have to go for a little ride after supper tonight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts