MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've heard/seen a few horror stories of the plastic fuel connectors on these bikes snapping off. This mainly caused by the fuel line being pulled when the tank is lifted and the leverage acts on the little plastic connector.

The fixing is either a new pump or a PIA job ...

So rather than that why not just do this...a P Clamp and a few washers and a longer 6mm bolt.

I havent got an MY10 fuel line here and I can see the connector is a right angle but there is still space for a P clamp to hold the section with "star" embossed on it.

If one of you fellas has a MY 10 fuel line I could borrow I will gladly follow this through and identify the correct P clip. The beauty of this fix is than it literally costs pennies...

It is a very sturdy fix and will stop the connector from snapping...period :smoking:

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea Jo.

Thanks Donsy.

I spent hours one rainy Saturday drawing out bespoke clamps for Henry to make and then I simplified and simplified it and designed a P clip.

Then I thought " Hey that's a P clip" job done !

joe

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd probably get away using the same length bolt.

Possibly Donsy, but the P clip needs a couple of washers so that it doesn't pull the fuel connector down towards the plate when tightening it up..Adds approx 4mm

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,085 Posts
If I see this right, and it is early here, you'd have to stick an allen key under your tank and remove the p-clip in order to remove the tank....

I am seeing that correctly?

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I see this right, and it is early here, you'd have to stick an allen key under your tank and remove the p-clip in order to remove the tank....

I am seeing that correctly?

You could try it that way Chuck or :naughty: You could release the hose from the fuel rail.

( I am still in England ) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just have to make sure the tank is drained or all the fuel will piss out. Still better than replacing that fitting though.
Thanks Donsy,

The MY 2010 fuel pump I have here has a check valve. When it's switched off there is no fuel emission...

The 2010 manual doesn't state that the tank should be drained prior to removal.

A different system to the 09 and prev as we know there is no return line.

I've sent an email out to Bennetts asking for confirmation as I dont have a 2010 fuel tank here to practice with.

joe

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Prevention always better than cure........, the best ideas are always the most simple ones and this is a great idea Joe.
I like it!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prevention always better than cure........, the best ideas are always the most simple ones and this is a great idea Joe.
I like it!
Thank you Brian...It took a while for the solution to materialize but as u say it's a simple fix..So simple its obvious once you arrive at home base.
Joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I agree Noel, which we had a check valve in our fuel pump system, but yeah I realise we have a return which the new bikes don't, maybe something to look into.

·
Registered
14,409 Posts
Donsy;
the '10+ bikes have a check valve, but its not in the red POS fitting.....because the tank doesn't pee when you remove the hose

not having a recirculating system (2 hoses) causes problems in hot weather and low speeds/stopped

oil head BMWs have the same problem

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Donsy;
the '10+ bikes have a check valve, but its not in the red POS fitting.....because the tank doesn't pee when you remove the hose

not having a recirculating system (2 hoses) causes problems in hot weather and low speeds/stopped

oil head BMWs have the same problem
I know Noel, that's what we just confirmed with Jon's help, I didn't for a moment think it was in the fitting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts