MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Too often owners mix the wires up when installing the battery.

The battery wires are the same colour on the outer sheathing which doesnt help matters and often people forget that the batteries typically lie on their sides.

AGM Batteries don't leak so this is fine and they are designed to be laid on their sides if needed.

Yesterday I received my battery and before I fitted it to the bike I bench charged it overnight. This is to ensure that it is fully charged.

I also marked the positive + terminal with a RED cross so that there would be no risk of confusion when mounting the battery to the bike.

As it has been a while since I looked at the battery wires I decided to test for continuity of the two individual wire ends with ground/earth enabling me to identify them correctly. This is done by setting the Multimeter to Ohms ( resistance ) and connecting the probes between one of the two battery wire ends and a decent ground on the bike. There should be practically 100 % continuity if you are connected to the ground lead . ie almost zero ohms readout.

If the readout is 1 then you are testing the positive cable.

When you know which wire is which and the battery is clearly marked at the positive terminal you can slide the battery into position and connect the postive terminal first. This eliminates any possibility of shorting the battery positive terminal to ground by accident.

All simple stuff but a little technique goes a long way and repairing a blown diode or worse is a pain in the neck so a little care is worth while.

joe :smoking:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Hi Joe ,just keep an eye out on that battery ,it started to leak out of the red plug in my battery compartment also the cca is only 140 , i had hot starting issue with this battery , i bought the SSB WITH 280 CCA and all my problems disappeared . Just thought i would mention it.

cheers buddy.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Eddy.

Thank you for the heads up. So far so good with this battery. I'll keep an eye on it. I'll disconnect in the spring and have a close look at the casing. I have it siting on the rubber mat in the carrier.

It does say agm and leak proof system but I believe you Eddy, so I'll be careful.

"Your MBTZ10S replacement battery will arrive fully charged and ready to use. There is no need to worry about adding acid or charging before going for a ride. Every MotoBatt power sport battery is of the sealed lead acid AGM type and will never leak acid which destroys your bikes finish."

When I did my " proactive on the battery" post, it was a bit tongue in cheek and for most a bit obvious but still we regularly get guys connecting the battery backwards. In this context I prefer to be a little obsessive compulsive and second check myself all the time.

cheers

joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts