MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been called around to get a feel of what the ranges are. I learned from my days with a 748 that it was best to call around.

Here's my report for a first service on a 2006 MV F41000S:

- Pro Italia, Glendale, CA: $550 (valve adjustments done)

-GP Motorcyclce, San Diego, CA: $385 (valve adjustment done - out of towners leave your bike cuz it will take a few days - no work while you wait)

- Scottsdale MV, Phoenix, Arizona: $276 (no valve adjustment) $1,385 (valve adjustment)

- Renaissance Motorcycles, Tucson, Arizona: $450 (valve adjustment)

I was a bit surprised about Scottsdale price with valve adjustment. I'll double check with Joshua to make sure I heard correctly.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello all. I did get a repsonse from Joshua and Douglas MacMillan, Service Manager with Scottsdale MV:

Mr. Gibbs, I have prepared service pricing for your F-4 1000
The 3800 mile service includes an oil and filter service (we use the factory recommended Agip oil) cooling system test/inspection, spark plug inspection/replacement if needed. Throttle body adjustment, air filter check/replace if needed. Parts w/plugs and air filter are $144.25 Labor is $237.00
The 7500 mile service is more involved, it includes a valve inspection and lash adjustment, oil and filter service, cooling system check, timing chain inspection, timing chain movable shoe inspection, fuel filter replacement, throttle body adjustment, air filter inspection, brake and clutch fluid inspection. Parts are 110.00 Labor is 742.60. Many dealers have there own version of these services. We perform the services as per the MV Agusta maintenance guide. This ensures top performance from your machine. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions at 480.609.1800.
Thank you,
Douglas MacMillan
Service Manager
MV Agusta Scottsdale

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
HI Allan,

The flat rate valve adjustment alone is 6hrs for any F4 (incl MT) and 5.7 for any Brutale. I guess you can calculate their labour rate x all the items on the list for those checks. Of course a valve check is much less time than an adjustment.

Fuel filter .4hrs
Air filter .3hrs

If they are really following the factory flat rates then you will most often come out well as most of the time specs are fairly aggressive IMO.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Alan, It would be great if others could post their service prices and experiences here as well. Then we could have a database for not only comparison prices as well as overall service experiences. It might make it easier to choose a dealer/service dept.

Great Idea Alan!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
The 3800 mile service includes ..... Parts w/plugs and air filter are $144.25 Labor is $237.00
The 7500 mile service is more involved, it includes a valve inspection..... Parts are 110.00 Labor is 742.60
Forgive me if I'm a little slow.

$381.25 doesn't seem like that bad of a price for a 3,800mi service
and
$852.60 seems like a steal for a 7,500.

Is there a 600mi service like on a Ducati, or is it just an oil change? How expensive is this service, if there is one?

Granted I am a Ducati owner so maybe I'm just used to getting robbed.
Scottsdale MV seems like an alright place. Thanks for the info.

Forbes

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, when I called, it was for the 600 mile service. And from the sounds of it, the 600-mile service is the same as the 7,500-mile service IF you elect to have the valves adjusted.

As for price, I’m not really making an opinion on what’s right or excessive because my information is out dated. Back in 2003, the 7,500 mile service at Renaissance was about $400 and the 3,800 miles service was about $250.

From a mechanical standpoint, is the F4's engine much harder to work on that a desmo?

·
Registered
64 Posts
From the sounds of it, the engines should be easier to work on and less labor intensive than a Ducati.

Why is a valve adjustment required @ 600? Are they usually out of spec after such little mileage?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what Reniassance told me years ago with the 750s, usually they're not out of spec.

When I spoke to Scottsdale, he said MV recommends inspection but becuase of the costs, they give the owner both costs and let the owner make a decision.

·
Registered
803 Posts
GP Motorcycles quoted me $325 for the break-in service w/ valve adjustments when I purchased my bike. I haven't done it yet but that's what they told me.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
dumbcomputers said:
GP Motorcycles quoted me $325 for the break-in service w/ valve adjustments when I purchased my bike. I haven't done it yet but that's what they told me.

That price is probably for a valve 'CHECK'. Adjustment takes much more time..just a quick mention that there was most likely a misunderstanding on the difference between 'check' and 'adjustment' :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, GP did say they check the valve but don't adjust unless necessary - then it's a different price. Also, I was quote $385 because he asked if I bought the bike from them.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you think I'd have a problem if I had the first service done at 1,100 miles? I'm going to be in Phoenix next weekend and was thinking of riding the MV down there but it's a 400 mile trip.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Should be ok. I wouldnt go much more then that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
I've been called around to get a feel of what the ranges are. I learned from my days with a 748 that it was best to call around.

Here's my report for a first service on a 2006 MV F41000S:

- Pro Italia, Glendale, CA: $550 (valve adjustments done)

-GP Motorcyclce, San Diego, CA: $385 (valve adjustment done - out of towners leave your bike cuz it will take a few days - no work while you wait)

- Scottsdale MV, Phoenix, Arizona: $276 (no valve adjustment) $1,385 (valve adjustment)

- Renaissance Motorcycles, Tucson, Arizona: $450 (valve adjustment)

I was a bit surprised about Scottsdale price with valve adjustment. I'll double check with Joshua to make sure I heard correctly.

Hahaha, you guys get fucked in the ass by your dealers. A first service over here costs:

75€ ( = 95$ )

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello all. This is just FYI for anyone who might find this info helpful. I had my first service done this weekend at 900 miles at Pro Italia(Los Angeles, CA) and here's the break down straight off the invoice:

Description:
Change engine oil and filter, valve inpsection/adjustment, sync throttle bodies, adjust idle speed, lube and adjust chain, saftey inspection, and check tire pressure.

Parts:
20sw/50 Oil, Red line (3.5) = $34.83
Oil filter kit = $28.40
Gasket, oil drain plug = $0.95
Rubber Strap, MV F4 (2) 13.90
PARTS SUB TOTAL: $78.08

Labor:
6 hours at $85 per hour = $510.00

Resolution:
Complete IAW Manufacturers Specs. No Issues.

Total with CA Tax: $603.52

1 - 20 of 20 Posts