MV Agusta Forum banner

GP shift or not

• Yes, put that shift drum in now. You know you want to.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Don't do it, you'll forget and downshift at the wrong moment...sell it.

Votes: 4 28.6%
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
OK.... I made the decision. Reverse shift drum installed. Now waiting on clutch plates and a new master link for final assembly.
Now on to the rear hub and valve clearance inspection.
I'll post some photos ... easy job.

Reactions: falcn, MRT and EBBO

·
Vendor
5,747 Posts
I know you have already changed the shift drum Ed.
Did you ever consider a Healtech Quickshifter like I have on my 1078.
I supposed it doesn't solve the issue of your toes under the pedal to upshift on L/H corners.
But does anyone upshift whilst cranked over through a corner?

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
But does anyone upshift whilst cranked over through a corner?
Yes...There are frequent needs to upshift while still leaned over coming out of turns, especially increasing radius exits after the apex. Charlotte's Web at Barber is a prime example. Some track day organizers label the turn as 5a, 5b and 5c.
I have the Microtec 232 on Lola and was considering fitting a QS sensor. The Microtec supports it.... but I'm old school... like TR3 ;)

Reactions: mitchy

·
Registered
341 Posts
I cheated and fit rearsets to my Brutale and flipped the shift arm at the shifter spline. I understand it isn't so easy on the F4.

I love GP shift. I have it on my track bike (Ninja 400) and the Brutale. If I could easily add it to my Elefant and KTM i would. Should be the standard shift pattern in my opinion.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Not enough clearance to flip the shift shaft arm on the rear sets I have. And the linkage sometimes has a vague feeling. I'm going back to the stock shift lever and deleting the lever that attached to the rear sets.

Here's a photo of the standard and GP shift drums...the standard is on the left and has the machined groove at the end for ID:
Automotive tire Nickel Wood Metal Automotive wheel system

Reactions: falcn
21 - 26 of 26 Posts