MV Agusta Forum banner

GP shift or not

• Yes, put that shift drum in now. You know you want to.

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Don't do it, you'll forget and downshift at the wrong moment...sell it.

Votes: 4 28.6%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Time for major service on the SPR....check the valves, service the hub, etc, etc, etc.
AND install my new Suter slipper clutch !!
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

So while I sort out the clutch plates......need a set of 1000 plates, I think? smaller ID and larger surface area?? Anyone out there with an extra set of clutch plates??,
I need to decide if it is now time to install the GP shift drum I have sitting on the shelf.??? :D

What say you family? :unsure:

I'm not riding street so much anymore, and Lola is dedicated track only, so I figure I will adapt and not get confused with the reverse shift pattern whilst riding her (always a concern in the past).

So go for it? :) Or stay safe and sell it to you instead? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I prefer the GP style shift pattern. Just makes sense to the way I am wired. I will say it is not fun down shifting coming out of a corner when you intend to upshift. I damn near crashed. Wishing all my bikes were the reverse shift pattern.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Do it, Ed. I'm surprised you didn't already have reverse shift on her.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
I’ve been wondering the same since I also have a drum but no track life. How involved would it be to put the standard back in if the reverse shifting doesn’t agree with you?

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
50 years of muscle memory

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Super Moderator
7,452 Posts
As I understand it the most significant reason to have a reverse shift pattern on your bike is to avoid having your boot scraping the ground trying to get under the shift pedal in high lean angle left handers. I hope I have explained that well enough.
If that is the case Ed, then yes, change to the reverse shift system. If it is just because you can, but don't need to then I'd suggest you leave it alone.

Stay safe on those tracks big fella.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Also makes changes of gear with change of direction quicker. eg T2-T3 at Sydney Motorsport Park.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love GP shift! Much more comfortable...lap times will decrease.... you'll get used to it in no time and wonder why you haven't changed over sooner

·
Registered
675 Posts
Head down shift down, head up shift up....

Reactions: falcn and esq'z me

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As I understand it the most significant reason to have a reverse shift pattern on your bike is to avoid having your boot scraping the ground trying to get under the shift pedal in high lean angle left handers. I hope I have explained that well enough.
If that is the case Ed, then yes, change to the reverse shift system. If it is just because you can, but don't need to then I'd suggest you leave it alone.

Stay safe on those tracks big fella.
I've lived with standard street shifting on pretty much every bike I've ever raced (or ridden in track). As Kevin noted, 50 years of muscle memory. :rolleyes:
I have memories from my youthful days as a shop tech servicing a Brit or Euro bike with right hand shift and accidentally downshifting when I was trying to apply rear brakes on the test ride.... The good old days.

There are a few times in every lap at my favorite track (Barber) where I have to work to get my toe under and pull up the lever...
Interestingly one is going up the blind rise into turn 4 and leaning right. My body is off the right side and getting my foot under the pedal takes effort. The other is Charlotte's web turn 5 and 6, off camber left, and yes not much room.

Decisions decisions... And all because I have the clutch out so half way to the gear box already.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm too old a dog learn a new trick... and have to be perfect every time when it counts, especially if it's the only bike I take to the track and therefore ride the least. Heck, I just removed the heel-kick-to-upshift lever thing from my Road Glide. Too distracting and that thing ain't fast at all☠🤛

Thanks to The Castle for that explanation! I always wondered. My thoughts were why? I can double downshift pressing 'down' with my ankle much much faster than pulling up? And would never need to upshift that fast anyway. I've been solving my shift point location with sprockets.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
So Ed, is it difficult to change over or what?

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I rode Curtis' reverse shift RC51 down in Tampa a few years ago and tried to take off in 2nd quite a few times. I probably wouldn't go reverse shift at this point in my riding life but on the plus side, the slipper will probably save you from any misshifts at speed.

Reactions: falcn and esq'z me

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So Ed, is it difficult to change over or what?
Have to remove the gearbox.....and know what you're doing.
There is a special tool fixture that holds everything together to check shifting and measure clearances when rebuilding the transmission. Not really needed, but the manual calls for it.
I don't think it's difficult, but I've been doing this kind of stuff for a few years..

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
If you end up doing the swap please consider taking a few in the works photos and posting. Maybe someone would lend the fixture you need. I’ll have to look that up to see what you are referring to. Thanks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
When I was young my pals had Duc Desmo singles, gear shift was right side of bike and reversed. Then I got the Commando, same. But somehow it was all okay, I could hop on 'nornal' bikes and it would be fine. A bit like left v right hand driving, context made it natural.
Never experienced reverse left side shifting tho.
I kind of get the upshift while banked thinking but figure the gain ain't much and muscle memory makes anything work smoothly after enough practice.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I run GP shift on 3 of my bikes and road shift on the street bike (Dragster). I jump between these bikes every weekend and never have an issue, it only takes a few seconds and I can switch my memory to the required movement.
I aint no spring chicken either and ran road shift for 20 years before starting to use GP shift.
On track GP shift makes total sense, much easier to go up the gears at high acceleration when just pressing down.
Most set-ups wont let you make a mistake anyway as you need to be on the power to shift up the gears and off the power to shift down, if I mistakenly try the wrong way I just get a solid shift lever that wont move.
Do it!.....what could possibly go wrong.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts