MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People,

In early August I am doing Brands Hatch GP with No Limits track days. A pretty decent bunch of guys if I must say.

I am considering taking the MV and would appreciate any tips for the bike for the track. Suggested tyre pressures etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sub

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
People,

In early August I am doing Brands Hatch GP with No Limits track days. A pretty decent bunch of guys if I must say.

I am considering taking the MV and would appreciate any tips for the bike for the track. Suggested tyre pressures etc would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sub
front most tires 26-28 all weather condition
rear most tires 22-24 all weather condition

have fun Sub,

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
People,

Cheers

Sub
1. New rubber at the right pressures....general rule for new comers is 30psi front and rear cold. {maybe 28psi rear if its a hot day}
Once you go to warmers etc, you need to measure pressures hot.

2. Good night sleep and lots of water.

3. Remove all shit you don't need, mirrors, licence plate etc.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Remove or tape mirrors - don't worry about who's behind you (less distracting for you and easier for them to pass if they wish to)

ride at what speed you feel comfortable with rather than at someone else's pace (avoid the red mist)

when feeling tired pull in even if the session isn't finished

each session do one or two warm up laps for both you (get brain into gear) AND the tyres (up to temp)

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks gents, I have done many track days before on my ZX6R but I want to try the MV.

Usually I use tyre warmers but I'm not going to on the MV due to the clearance between the tyre and the hugger and mudguard and also I dont have a front paddock stand.

There seems to be some differences above between tyre pressures? The tyres are Michelin's which are around 2 years old. Weather will probably be around 80 degrees farenheit

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would adjust the suspension to Track (Pista) settings listed in the Owners Manual.

I have MV Corse CF front fender and rear huger, and I manage to get tyre warmers on. But your right, the front sure is a tight fit. I don't rush or force the front in a hurry. Depends on the warmer brand I suppose.

For tyre pressures, I would use the manufacturer recommended PSI. I think you can find this on line for most manufacturers? If they are not a dual road/track tyre, and no track pressures are recommended, I like Pete's 30 front and 28 rear.

No Limits Track Day sounds fun. In the riders brief for our track days, we get told if we do a wheel stand, we are not in control of our bike, and will be black flagged for the session and receive a warning. I can understand the no front end stopies and burnouts policy, but wheelies and no camera/cam rule :jerkoff: F_cking insurance bureaucrats..........

Have fun Sub, and we like pic's :)

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Sub, it's always a good idea to speak with a distributor of the brand of tires you are running. I start out the morning with 30/30 on cold street tires (Bridgestone 003RS), and then usually drop a pound or two after they heat up. If the difference in temperature from the early morning and the mid-afternoon is considerable, I may adjust again. If you're running slicks check with a dealer of that brand, as 30/30 may be way off.

This test of DOT Race Tires shows suggested tire pressure for cold and hot tires. They recommend 30/30 hot for the 003's, but as you can see there is quite a bit of variance depending upon tire brand and model. So, again, check with a distributor.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/402/4924/Motorcycle-Article/2009-DOT-Race-Motorcycle-Tire-Shootout.aspx

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys, I will contact the tyre manufacturer but am probably going to go with the recommended pressures. thanks for all your help and I'll try and get some decent piccies

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Thanks gents, I have done many track days before on my ZX6R but I want to try the MV.

Usually I use tyre warmers but I'm not going to on the MV due to the clearance between the tyre and the hugger and mudguard and also I dont have a front paddock stand.

There seems to be some differences above between tyre pressures? The tyres are Michelin's which are around 2 years old. Weather will probably be around 80 degrees farenheit

2years old! Ffs change them!

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
2years old! Ffs change them!
I was wondering if I should say something Pete, I would not do a track day on 2 year old tyres, but that might just be me.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
I have.....but they were nearly new condition. Use a finger nail and see just how hard the rubber has become..(right Carl?).

For what it's worth, I ran my Michelin Pilot Pures at my last track day at 30 psi front and rear as measured hot. Started cold at 28 front and rear and then let out some air to reach 30 after first session. They worked very well and were wearing perfectly. Air temps were low 90s F.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi guys.. I'm going to PI this friday, and wanna use tyre warmer. But will my front mud guard be too close that my tyres warmer will stuck? Cant even fit my pinky finger in it. Cheers
cheers,
FOIB

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hi FIOB :)

I've used 2 different brands of warmers with a stock front mud guard and had no problems. Just be sensible about putting them on, and not rushing removing them.

Hope you have fun :yo:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks rob, I'll give it a go.. first time taking the MV at PI.. should be fun testing the microtec n slipper clutch.

cheers,
FOIB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts