MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Too early to judge.

But I think you'd be hard pressed to look past Tom Sykes, and I hope/think Mr.Rea will push him hard.:)
I hope Ducati's cheating 1300 fails spectacularly :thewife:
Maybe Honda will have a better year under the new rules.

Official 2015 WSBK rider line-up so far:

Kawasaki Racing
Tom Sykes (Confirmed)
Jonathan Rea (Confirmed)

PATA Honda
Sylvain Guintoli (Confirmed)
Michael van der Mark (Confirmed)

Ducati SBK
Chaz Davies (Confirmed)
Davide Giugliano (Confirmed)

Crescent Suzuki
Alex Lowes (Confirmed)
Randy de Puniet (Confirmed)

Althea Ducati
Nico Terol (Confirmed)
Matteo Baiocco (Confirmed)

Red Devils Roma Aprilia
Leon Haslam (Confirmed)

Barni Ducati
Leandro Mercado (Confirmed)

JR Racing BMW
Toni Elias (Confirmed)
Ayrton Badovini (Confirmed)

Grillini (Bike TBA)
Sheridan Morais (Confirmed)

Team Toth BMW
Imre Toth (Confirmed)

BMW Italia
Sylvain Barrier (Confirmed)

GO Eleven Kawasaki
TBA

NOT confirmed

Red Devils Roma Aprilia
Michel Fabrizio expected after testing bike in Jerez

Pedercini Kawasaki (Could be run as a factory-assisted Kawasaki 'B' Team)
Jeremy Guarnoni, Lorenzo Savadori, David Salom and Alessandro Andreozzi linked to two available rides

MV Agusta
Leon Camier expected to ride sole F4

GO Eleven Kawasaki
David Salom or Jordi Torres

EBR
Niccolo Canepa and Larry Pegram expected to ride

MRS (Predicted to return to SSTK class)

3C Ducati (After strong showing at Magny-Cours, 3C Ducati will partake in more wild-card outings in 2015)

Yamaha (New Yamaha R1 launched, but its full works debut is expected in 2016, with BSB team Milwaukee Yamaha tipped for a selection of wild-card outings)

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hope Ducati's cheating 1300 fails spectacularly :thewife:
Whoa there...

"Headlining the Italian marque’s lineup is its latest Superbike evolution, the 1299 Panigale, which features an 87cc displacement boost and 205 horsepower claim. Ducati will retain an 1198cc version of its Superbike platform, with the Panigale R, as the racebike homologation for the World Superbike series. " (Motorcycle USA)

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Whoa there...

"Headlining the Italian marque’s lineup is its latest Superbike evolution, the 1299 Panigale, which features an 87cc displacement boost and 205 horsepower claim. Ducati will retain an 1198cc version of its Superbike platform, with the Panigale R, as the racebike homologation for the World Superbike series. " (Motorcycle USA)
So they have a 1198 For Sale to the public, yet they can race a 1299. That's 300cc more than everybody else...wtf, it's a joke :thewife:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Er, I think it's the other way around. The 1299 (like the 899 or the superleggera) isn't homologated for any racing series. It's a road and track bike for the public, while the old panigale 1199 will continue to be raced in WSBK, STK, domestic championships ect... Gee, hope I got that right.:(:(

With all due respect, wouldn't call a displacement advantage for twin cylinders cheating, any more than I would the advantage given to triples like the MV F3. Especially since the four cylinders are now running motogp derived electronic systems which can 'paralyze' a pair of cylinders to effectively mimic the torque advantage of twins.

Actually, I agree with you that displacement is far from being the ideal formula for performance equalization, especially because it seems to me that a bike with 1200 or 1300 cc's is... insane. I'd rather see the traditional strengths of twins (and triples) allowed to play a role: the lower weight, slicker handling, lower fuel consumption. But that's just my view:)

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Hahaha, I hear what you're saying Peter, but 200 or 300cc is a massive difference, I know this arguments been going on since the 888's where brought in, my point was always this, if the twins get bigger capacity, why do they still restrict the 1000's air intakes etc.
What if all the 1000cc manufacturers decided to go back to making 1100cc bikes ?
I know the rules are changing to equal/cancel out the electronics advantage that it gave to the 4 cyl bikes, I wonder if Ducati enjoyed that rule change.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Personally, I think if you are going to race in a series, you meet the specs of the series. Now for MotoGP, I do think that specs are non-sense. Run what you brung. If you can't compete, get better.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hahaha, I hear what you're saying Peter, but 200 or 300cc is a massive difference, I know this arguments been going on since the 888's where brought in, my point was always this, if the twins get bigger capacity, why do they still restrict the 1000's air intakes etc.
What if all the 1000cc manufacturers decided to go back to making 1100cc bikes ?
I know the rules are changing to equal/cancel out the electronics advantage that it gave to the 4 cyl bikes, I wonder if Ducati enjoyed that rule change.
I might be misunderstanding you here but, the Ducati's can have up to 1200cc capacity and they have the air restrictors. The 1000cc 4 cylinder bikes have no air restriction in place. Judging by the fact that Ducati has yet to win a race on the Panigale since its intro the rules seem to be working ok at the moment.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The twins also have a higher minimum weight as well as restricted air flow.
The top spec R model Panigale is still under 1200cc so that they can race it but I wouldn't be surprised if now that a full factory effort has returned to WSBK they will get the cc increase to 1300 for twins?

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Yeah sorry guys, I was vague in my statement about restrictions, I was talking more in the general past, not this past year or so.
A bit like Chuck, I feel the bikes should come racing much closer to the showroom condition, I know we can dream about that only, and hopefully the new rules will bring things together a bit more, pity Aprilia has pretty much left, I think they knew they couldn't make that bike work with a common ECU.
I hope Yamaha makes a comeback sooner rather than later, and I hope Bimota returns too.
I know if things where kept closer to standard, you'd probably see Ducati wim more races, but not a Championship, the BMW's would rule the roost for sure.
I feel for EBR, those guys have a lot of guts coming back with that bike.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yeah sorry guys, I was vague in my statement about restrictions, I was talking more in the general past, not this past year or so.
A bit like Chuck, I feel the bikes should come racing much closer to the showroom condition, I know we can dream about that only, and hopefully the new rules will bring things together a bit more, pity Aprilia has pretty much left, I think they knew they couldn't make that bike work with a common ECU.
I hope Yamaha makes a comeback sooner rather than later, and I hope Bimota returns too.
I know if things where kept closer to standard, you'd probably see Ducati wim more races, but not a Championship, the BMW's would rule the roost for sure.
I feel for EBR, those guys have a lot of guts coming back with that bike.
Are they out in 2015?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Donsey , thank you for taking the time and effort to list all the Teams/riders for the 2015 WSBK series .
Johnny Rea riding the elderly Honda CBR1000RR has been a regular podium contender despite a ?? 10-15 hp deficit. Now with the Kawasaki ZX10R which has both power and a good handling package will be the odds on favorite to take the 2015 WSBK title. In 2014 Sykes had skills, he under estimated his competition. In the qualifying I had seen, Sykes only came out onto the track in the last 5 minets of the Q2 ran a quick lap or 2 to get pole or a front row position then parked. After the last race in Losail where Guintoli took the 2014 title , Sykes complained of set up problems . You have to wonder if Sykes had put more laps in during qualifying would he have had the set ups corrected and won the title?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
As far a Ducati displacement. Twins have a few inherent disadvantages competing against inline & V-4s.
greater reciprocating mass, greater piston speeds and 1/2 the power pulses.
Ducatis always lacked horsepower to the 4 cylinders but had a torque advantage & hooked up off of corners better due to less power pulses . When Dorna left the intake restrictions on twins Ducati had such a HP deficit they made the 1199 with radical over square combustion chambers and higher RPM.
This gave the Ducati more HP but not enough to compete with the 4 cylinder bikes. Also with super over square combustion the 2013 Ducati 1199 WSBK lost torque compared to the 1198 WSBK.

2015: Ducati comes out with the 1299 (how big can this engine get?) Race Engine magazine engineers stated the where surprised that Ducati chose to make radical bore even Larger. That shows Ducati is going for More Horsepower not more torque so they must be running out of options trying to compete against the new 4 cylinders or the WSBK Circuits have become faster/more open/longer straits than the days of the Ducati 1098/1198.
A LONG WINDED WAY TO SAY ...LET DUCATI GO TO 1299cc . The new inline & V-4 engines are getting so high tech the V-Twin needs more and more displacement advantage to be on equal playing field.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Are they out in 2015?
Who, Aprilia ? Official word is that their efforts are now concentrated on MotoGP's.

A LONG WINDED WAY TO SAY ...LET DUCATI GO TO 1299cc . The new inline & V-4 engines are getting so high tech the V-Twin needs more and more displacement advantage to be on equal playing field.
It's good for some then.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Donsey, being the Ducati 1199 WSBK Pushes going into corners and seems unstable/twitchy midcorner,
Dorna could let Ducati go to 1399 and I cant see them winning the WSBK title.

Being Ducati is going with a limited production homologation special, Ducati could fix there handling woes by using the 899 Panagale traditional 2 sided swing arm .(1199/899 same chassis/size)
All ive read is the 899 Panagale is a stable, great handling bike.
Although it would look as if Ducati made a mistake using a single sided swing arm on the 1199/1299

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Moto Press is touting Ducati as the team to beat in 2015 due to the new rules lowering tech.
if the new rules are going to equal out HP among teams the MV F4RR seemed much more stable than the Ducati 1199. That's an observation not brand favoritism .
Jerez testing looked bad for MV F4RR but rain has to some what of a factor . (that was brand favoritism LOL)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guidptorpedo, No news on Bimota as of yet. This is to be expected though, being such a small manufacturer Bimota cannot produce enough homologation specials/Bikes to meet the requirements within a month of the previos season ending . BMW is getting back into WSBK via back door effort helping BMW Italy and Troy Corsers new team.
Guildptopedo I was really surprised when the Moto press said BMW powered Bimota didn't handle as well as a stock BMW S1000RR ?
With all the press about supercharging IMO Bimota should change direction and use there Supercharged Ducati 1198 model ( if allowed as it is in AMA,WERA ,ASSA ect.I have to get ahold of WSBK rules one of these days)

·
Registered
329 Posts
couldn't agree with you more jake bimotas for the most part of what I remember were powered by ducati motors in the past its a Italian bike leave a Italian moor in it lol..also wasn't bimota in wsbk last season?
kinda wish the company would grow a little I always wanted to own one but the price is hard to grasp and you don't find too many used ones for sale

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Bimota's were running all kinds of engines in the past.
You should try to look into their history.
They had Honda HB, Kawasaki KB, Suzuki SB, Yamaha YB, Ducati DB and BMW BB1 in their frames.
The world championships in the seventies were won with Aermacchi engines in Bimota frames under the umbrella of Harley Davidson.
Champion Rider Walter Villa.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts