MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone fitted a commander with std exhausts and ecu ? if so is it a worthwhile mod making the fueling better on an f4r 312 ? im intending to remove the cat over winter as well ?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Stickybunn said:
has anyone fitted a commander with std exhausts and ecu ? if so is it a worthwhile mod making the fueling better on an f4r 312 ? im intending to remove the cat over winter as well ?
The Powercommander will only be effective at rpm/throttle values where the stock ECU is in open loop operation. In closed loop, the ECU reads the sensor in the exhaust and adjusts the mixture. If you richen the mixture there with a PC, the ECU will counteract that change. Someone mentioned in another thread that it goes to open loop above 4000 rpm, but I can't confirm that.

Is it worthwhile? I'd say probably not until you do some other work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fueling

if it only fixes fuelling above a certain rpm, how can you partly or totaly get rid of the response when you first open the throttle ? ive done the spring mod, its made it better, but is there any thing else to cure it, does getting rid of the cat do this ? its annoying.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Stickybunn said:
if it only fixes fuelling above a certain rpm, how can you partly or totaly get rid of the response when you first open the throttle ? ive done the spring mod, its made it better, but is there any thing else to cure it, does getting rid of the cat do this ? its annoying.
Do you mean the power surge from about 3500-5000 rpm? I don't know of any way to get rid of that.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Stickybunn said:

Are you talking about throttle 'first on', like the 0-5% range? I understand PC isn't meant to deal with that, though when I got it on my brutale it felt a bit better with that (though still a bit 'snatchy'). still scares me a bit.... but overall i'm happy with it on there.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
throttle response

yes the first bit of throttle movement tends to feel like a flat spot almost like traction control ! but also what happens if you remove the lambdor sensor and plug the hole ? has anyone tried that ? if not then i might in the next few days. ??

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi I took the cat off my 312 and left the original cans it improves the 'flatspot' slightly. I have checked the the fuel curve and its rich my dyno man said a PC wouldnt make much difference. I spoke to chris at X-bikes he said he can virtually remove the flatspot he didnt say how but he has lots of experiance with PC's on MV's it may be worth a call.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
OTP MV said:
Hi I took the cat off my 312 and left the original cans it improves the 'flatspot' slightly. I have checked the the fuel curve and its rich my dyno man said a PC wouldnt make much difference. I spoke to chris at X-bikes he said he can virtually remove the flatspot he didnt say how but he has lots of experiance with PC's on MV's it may be worth a call.
hmmm did your dyno guy say the PC wouldn't remove the flat spot or wouldn't remove the richness?

if it's not removing the richness then i honeslty question his reasoning.

to be fair tagging usernames to people i've spoken to on the phone gets a bit hard but i can pretty much iron out that whole off throttle hesitiation now. it's still there but nowhere near as bad as it can be.

gonna work on this whole O2 sensor crap as well and chuck that in the nearest bin just like every other O2 sensor fitted to std bikes;)

i'll make a few calls tommorrow and post back when i have an answer.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Stickybunn said:
yes the first bit of throttle movement tends to feel like a flat spot almost like traction control ! but also what happens if you remove the lambdor sensor and plug the hole ? has anyone tried that ? if not then i might in the next few days. ??

DO NOT remove the lambda sensor without fitting anythign to take it's place.

the lambda sensor constantly takes a fuel gas reading, this converts that reading into a voltage which the ECU will recognise as x amount of CO. with it flapping in the breeze it'll do one of two things, richen the bike up so much it won't start or if it does just chucks out black smoke, or be so far out of it's parameters the ecu will think it's gone down and switch into safe mode which will restrict power.

the flat spot can be calmed down.............not cured but helped but for gods sake don't just take the lambda sensor out.

to remove it you need to plug a resistor inline to the correct setting that makes the ecu think that the bike is running at one set fuel reading for every possibel parameter of its 3 dimensional mapping. once you have it "locked" then you can remap with a PCIII..................simple innit:)

if your in lincoln i'm only down in wisbech so not that far from you.............seriously do not do anything to alter the lambda sensor or what it is sampling............i honestly have no idea how much it could effect the ECU or if it could shut it down, no one has ever done it before so better to play safe mate.:) but rest assured it will do something to the running of the bike and it won't be an improvement:(

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
flat spot

hi, ok i wont do that, maybe not a good idea, but, no-one else ive since seen has said anything about a TRE ? SO is there a restrictor in the first couple of gears like the other superbikes, gsxrs for instance, and if so where do we get one from or made ? ive asked on ebay, but they say they dont make one for this bike, not that you dont need one ? does anyone know about this ? someone must know ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts