MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sould I buy a chip even though I will be installing a power commander?

I understand that the Power Commander allows the user to adjust the fuel / air mixture ratio at different rpms and I had one on my R1. I noticed a big difference using it when I changed out my airfilter and exhaust.

What is the benefit of the chip?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Last month i bought the Arrow mid pipe form gearitalia in vegas. Straight away i noticed a difference in the way the bike performed ie: sound, throttle response & it seemed to sort out the abruptness of the throttle. Power gains were less noticable but are probably there.

I have just ordered the Arrow eprom this week to go with it. Hopefully it'll get here before xmas & won't be hard to fit. Arrow claim a further 4 - 6 bhp & improved engine behavior. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
689 Posts
The Powercommander will only change fueling, while the EPROM will change fueling and *possibly* ignition as well. The EPROM is what it is. You will not be able to custom tune it for your bike. The Powercommander will allow a tuning center to customize the the map for your bike.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds like you are saying that I can use one or the other, but not both. The Power Commander will allow me to custom map the fueling only, where as the chip will do fueling and ignition, but I can't alter the settings. Correct?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Flat Spot said:
It sounds like you are saying that I can use one or the other, but not both. The Power Commander will allow me to custom map the fueling only, where as the chip will do fueling and ignition, but I can't alter the settings. Correct?
you can use a power commander with either a stock or aftermarket chip, it plugs in "downstream" from that point- IMO that's overkill. The aftermarket one May get you closer to optimal air/fuel settings, but a decent tech should be able to do that on the dyno. Again, IMO, the only reason to do both is if you believe other variables (like spark timing) are addressed by the chip

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Depends on if you have the after market pipes. If you have the pipes and remove the cat then yes, otherwise, just get the PC. The biggest difference to my bike is having the PC !

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will the performance chip from the 910r work on a 910s? I plan to install a Arrow Thunder exhaust with a Power Commander.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I just read somewhere today, that the r and s chip are exactly the same. I'll try and find the link.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a Commander on my 750 Brutale when I fitted the mid pipe - spent a bit of time trying to sort the map manually - little bit of hit and miss. Never really got the desired results. I ordered up the chip from Moto-One for the 750/Midpipe - quick install, ran perfect from the get go and 50% better fuel mileage. Having someone else do the R&D and write chip is the way to go, unless you prepared for lots of dyno time for mapping. I sold my Commander on eBay, wouldn't go there again.

Jim

·
Registered
100 Posts
Whatever happened to moto-one? Keeps getting mentioned, but I can't find the site.

I come back from work smelling like a refinery...time for a new chip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Just use the PowerCommander. I dont understand why a lot of forum members here are against this...seems kinda silly but MV guys are the only group of people I have come across that are resistant to powercommanders. They work, they are proven, screw the eprom chip...

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Just use the PowerCommander. I dont understand why a lot of forum members here are against this...seems kinda silly but MV guys are the only group of people I have come across that are resistant to powercommanders. They work, they are proven, screw the eprom chip...
I agree, and I'm the last one to recommend add ons for the bikes. A bit of a purist, don't you know. Get a power commander, find a dyno and an operator who knows how to set it up and have it done.

I have a 2001 (or 02 I don't remember) track bike. RG3s, factory race headers and midpipe, performance air filter, SPR chip. I thought it was fine until I took it to Dyno solutions. John found 10hp at 9,000 just by leaning it out. At 11:1 it was running way too rich. My bike has 12,000 neglected miles on it and is with one hp at peak of my low milage babied SPR.

Get a quick shifter too. It is not going to make me faster or smoother, but man is it fun to use.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Get a quick shifter too. It is not going to make me faster or smoother, but man is it fun to use.

Ive ridden a few bike with aftermarket quick shifters as well as the new 1198SP and the BMW S1000RR...boy do I like the quick shifters!!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Ive ridden a few bike with aftermarket quick shifters as well as the new 1198SP and the BMW S1000RR...boy do I like the quick shifters!!
Ive been using DynoJet quick shifters since 2005. Awesome piece of kit!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
I've never owned a pc v only the 3. Worked fine in any application. But I would stress that I don't think you can just download a map from some one else. I think it should be mapped to your bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Any decent tuning places in the mid atlantic you fellows could recommend? Is it possible to get a good tuning job around $250?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts