MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone sent me this and just wondering if any CA people know anything about this. As of right now this is all of the info i have on this topic....supposedly this snipit of info is from a tuner in CA????

"Last week the California Air Resources Board filed action against DynoJet for the sale of their "Power Commander" tuning device in California. Several of the DynoJet Authorized Tuning Centers have been served subpoenas to supply Power Commander sales records for the years 2000 thru 2005. We were one of the Tuning Centers served and as of yesterday have quit selling DynoJet Power Commanders"

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
CARB is just sniffing around for something to do. They are not illegal. DynoJet is just the biggest compant selling tuning devices so they go after the deepest pockets first.

This will probably be in courts for a long time.

Silly though, the PC is the only device that can "lean" a bike out as compared to the Techlusion boxes, and other crude devices that only "Richen" bikes.

If Emmision testing becomes a reality, it is very simple to make a Power Commander bike pass. Either a "lean emmissions map" quickly loaded for testing or just use the faceplate buttons to lean out the bike.

Just think of the millions of Harley owners who have modified bikes that would fail any type of inspection! The motor company would have plenty to say.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bikes have always been a target. Look at two stroke dirt bikes . It's easy for CARB to go after because the smaller companys don't have the resources to fight it.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!! :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: (right Spalding?)

Please folks, settle down.
They are not illegal. They are not illegal.

Worst case scenario. If they are illegal do you really think they would hunt you down to give you a ticket?? They can only pass laws for current or future bikes, they cannot go back and "grandfather" laws.

Tampering with your exhaust is illegal. Millions of bikes running around with "off road use only" Are the tickets flying? NO!

Jet kits, Power Commanders, Harley race tuner and fuel pack. Techlusion TFI boxes, DynaTek FI box, every dealer adjusting Fuel injection. Every body screws with bikes.

Lets just see how this pans out......in a few years!!

So in the mean time, adjust away!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
airfuel said:
THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!!!! :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: :ahhh: (right Spalding?)

Please folks, settle down.

Worst case scenario. If they are illegal do you really think they would hunt you down to give you a ticket?? They can only pass laws for current or future bikes, they cannot go back and "grandfather" laws.

Tampering with your exhaust is illegal. Millions of bikes running around with "off road use only" Are the tickets flying? NO!

Jet kits, Power Commanders, Harley race tuner and fuel pack. Techlusion TFI boxes, DynaTek FI box, every dealer adjusting Fuel injection. Every body screws with bikes.

Lets just see how this pans out......in a few years!!

So in the mean time, adjust away!!
Everybody, long deep breaths and keep breathing. But of course anything is possible in the People's Republic of California.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
lorenzotx said:
anything is possible in the People's Republic of California.
Serves them right! They brag all winter about the great riding and really don't understand how us people in the north can tolerate the snow and winters.

So now, along with the earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, santa anna winds, water shortages, high speed chases, gridlock and all the fruits and nuts, they can look forward to Power Commander searches!!! :laughing: :laughing: :flickoff:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Something is going on with CARB lately. This may be escalation of what was started a few months ago. Several CA green stickered motards have had their plates revoked months or years after the fact. In person and at residence.

I think we are seeing the start of something serious from them but time will tell.

·
Registered
479 Posts
spalding12 said:
this will NEVER happen in our lifetime....
trust me

airfuel said:

You guys are both wrong.

They are illegal when used on the street. Just like any pipe that replaces one with a cat and/or A/F meter (that isn't replaced). Any device which tampers with an emissions system on a road legal vehicle, at least in Cali, is not legal.

But you'd have to get caught riding it on the street to get in trouble, as the act of just buying one is legal, it might be for "off road" vehicles.

I'm guessing DJ will pay a fine, and from now on, be forced to put the standard disclaimer most aftermarket companies use, "May not be legal for road use in some states".

Getting a custom map made could get a bit tricky. You might have to take off your plate and trailer the bike to the shop...this is how it is with cars in Cali, if you goto shops that want to avoid legal trouble/fines.

Smog checks are years away, but for cops looking to nail bikers for everything they can, enforcement around illegal pipes and mods could well be on the way...hell, they already got their way with cars, and now diesel trucks. Time to move on to bikes, the next untapped market for CARB.

And BTW, they grandfathered in smog tests on cars...could happen on bikes too.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
^^^absolutely true. PCIII is illegal. and as stated:
pipes,
air cleaners,
mods to ecu, including chips, reprogramming, piggy-back modules (PC).

CARB is moving down the food chain so to speak. here in so. cal. i can't buy honda pro-spray anymore. it's not clean enough to meet the emission requirements. too bad. i liked that stuff.

i'm of mixed emotions on this issue. yeah, it sucks for a performance nut like me, but i'd like to have clean air to breathe too. with the number of people that are jammed into this region, plus the local geography, these tough measures are probably necessary.

alex

·
Registered
479 Posts
airfuel said:
Wow, things are tough in CA....time to move maybe? Think how many people are breaking the law.........
Why? Within a few years of laws like this in Cali, most states across the country adopt them.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
When I said Power Commanders are not illegal, I meant that they are not illegal to purchase. it's not like you are buying Cocain! :rolleyes:

The more I think about this the crazier it gets.

What if I run my bike on the track and the street. My bike has a Power Commander on it but when I run it on the street I run a zero map.

A zero map does not alter the FI sytem at all. I am not altering, tinkering with or adjusting my bikes emmission system.

How will this play out in the courts? They will have to make having a Power Commander installed on your bike illegal. This will take alot of lawyers to figure out. It is also very easy to hide a Power Commander.

What about chips? Can't detect those....Harleys race tuner is a downlaod and also not detectable.

The only thing I can see is emmision testing and with a Power Commander, it is very easy to install a zero map, or even a very lean map to pass the test. Once done, load your regular map in and enjoy a sweet running bike!

In the mean time, enjoy your Power Commander!

John T

·
Registered
479 Posts
It's not hard at all.

If the device is not CARB approved, with an Executive Order number, it is illegal to use on the roadway. Period.

And the PC, for the reasons you state above, will never get EO approval.

Chips? It depends on the ECU, but they can be detected. Either way, a sniffer will detect if it's burning clean or not. If your chip is clean, and the ECU doesn't tattle, you'll be fine.

On a Harley...you'll be screwed. Those things respond to tuning well because the air cooled engines are hard as hell to get to pass emissions, and the maps have to be real funky to get there. Nobody leans out a Harley...

BTW, a "lean" map will fail if other things like the cam are too much. It produces excess oxides (NOX) on the sniffer...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Do you really think this type of "Big Brother" tactics will be implemented anytime soon?

First they have to tear apart my bike to look for a Power Commander. Don't think so. Why would they even think I have one?

emmisions testing is the only thing I see happening and that is not a problem.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts