MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Im still new to the motorcycle game and MV family (only had my bike for one week) and have been loving every minute with my bike. By the way I bought an 04 Brutale S 750.

I've been looking around the forum and noticed Power Commanders are fairly popular additions. Can anyone give me some insight on this, such as, is it worth it, is it easy to install, and does the bike really run better with it?

Also I ran into this online, Arrow EPROM. Does anyone have information/recommendations on the difference between doing this vs. PCIII?

I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks,

Mike in MN

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the bike has a Arrow titanium exhaust (midpipe - back) and I am unsure if it has ever been tuned with the new exhaust.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
A power commander can be worth it if installed properly. That means, put the bike on the dyno, get a base line, install the power commander and re map it. Then dyno it again. Demonstrable, quantified, improvements.

Most people just plug it in, pronounce a dramatic improvement in HP, handling, stopping ability, weight loss, and motor down the road.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to agree with CAG on that one. Power commander out of the box will possibly be in the ballpark, if you find a map that has a similar (read: identical) setup to yours. Otherwise, you will be just taking a shot in the dark.

When we put the midpipe into my 2005 F4-1000, it ran, but worse than stock. In any case, I hated the midpipe (piss poor quality) that I had gotten, so it went into the trash bin, and we put on a full system.

The bike barely started, let alone ran once the full system was put on. Fortunately, we expected this, and had the power commander, and dyno time scheduled. So 3 hours on the dyno, and a custom map later, she ran pretty well. Still had the same issues as everyone else in the forum (5K RPM stutter), but at least we were confident that we weren't running rich or lean. And the horsepower / torque numbers looked relatively clean.

A bad map, and not knowing it, can really hurt the bike in the long run, so it is always best to spend a little extra on the dyno time, and get it done right.

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
The problem with PC, and piggy back system in general, is you can't get at the ignition mapping. Getting to tinker with the ignition tables, in addition to A/F ratios, helps everything.

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
What I am saying is that a PC ONLY does A/F ratios. There are problems with the ignition tables that cannot be fixed with a PC.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The newest version of the PCV claims to be able to tune ignition parameters - not claiming it does for our bikes specifically - or that it works in general but that's what's on their website.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I went back and read more carefully - turns out I'm wrong - this feature is limited to "select twin cylinder engines";

NEW Power Commander V w/ Built in Ignition Control
On select models, gain control over fuel delivery AND timing with the new Power Commander V with fuel and ignition control. The best of both worlds, now you can realize all the benefits of the Power Commander V and the Ignition Module 5 wrapped in a single enclosure. This Power Commander V is available for select twin cylinder engines.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Also the bike has a Arrow titanium exhaust (midpipe - back) and I am unsure if it has ever been tuned with the new exhaust.
If your running a standard eprom with the open exhaust then you would be better with the MV Corse version - The fuel map is actually quite good and a better advance map also...

Not a fan of the PC, especially when the eprom can be tuned relatively easily.

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
399 Posts
If your running a standard eprom with the open exhaust then you would be better with the MV Corse version - The fuel map is actually quite good and a better advance map also...

Not a fan of the PC, especially when the eprom can be tuned relatively easily.

Cheers
Adam
Adam is being modest here, get one of his eproms!

Tony

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Adam is being modest here, get one of his eproms!

Tony
The Ducati guys have been doing it for years, same ecu...
MV owners never seemed to catch on ?

It's like when I was doing photography, 90% of the motocross guys bought on the day, no one understood the internet.

But, when doing mountain biking it was the opposite, 90% bought from the internet, usually at work the next day !

Cheers
Adam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts