MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
planning on powdercoating my 06 brutale frame. just wondering if anyone have done it before and how hard is it to take the frame off? or do i need special tools to tackle the project? thanx

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate.
I believe the advise given to me was to paint it instead of powder coat. Also to not sand it back down to the metal, in order to keep the undercoat which was factory applied.

For removal, download the manuals form my site, it's all in there.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Please paint the frame. Powder coat would not look right on an MV Agusta frame. It is too thick and would hide the beautiful welds that are a feature of the 2009 and prev bikes. I part painted a frame and providing you prep right and undercoat correctly and paint in clean dry warmish area it is easy to obtain a nice finish with the correct lustre.

Powder coating is for garden furniture ; )

joe

·
Registered
819 Posts
Powder coating is fine. And yes, you will need special tools/spanner wrenches to remove the steering stem insert if you want to totally break it down. You might be able to get away with having the PC shop tape off the insert if you aren't concerned with perfection. Minute tape lines around neck of the frame which will be under the upper triple bridge and not visible on an assembled bike might not be a big deal for some.

Unless some of the factory coating has come off would suggest the frame be scuffed and prepped rather than taking it down to metal. The factory coating is fairly good and will provide good adhesion for the top coat...be it paint or PC.

Also, make sure the person that does the work takes special care o properly tape off the vin sticker and decal on the other side of the neck. These will stretch as they are peeled off and can't be reused. So no matter which way one goes (paint or PC) its wise to just leave the decals where they are and make sure the tape job is good.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I worked in a huge engineering shop and we cooked chromoly to 700 degrees celsius for 24 hours all the time but was very important to slowly bring it down to 400c ( 50 degrees / hour), at 400c you could turn the gas off and and go home, powder coat oven is only 400c.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the quick response guys! frame is black and wanted to get it painted to red. so i guess paint it is?

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
If you get any scratches or chips it is so much easier to do a perfect repair with paint. There are some great suppliers out here of oe colours.

I can't see any reason to powder coat. If there was some amazing advantage then of course it should be closely considered.

But why ? What does a powder coat finish offer over paint ?

Having done a nice job on a scratched up frame, I wouldn't hesitate to paint the frame myself. and the satisfaction having done a good job is immense.

Joe

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Joe. Powdercoat finish is way more durable than liquid paint.
Hi Joe, I guess this one is down to personal preference overall. : )

I like paint..I like stove enamel on the old bikes. I have frames powder coated black ..like my Laverdas and old BMWs.

With an MV I would go with the OE finish as close as poss.

But then some want different.

I never want another silver car either lol...Give me a nice straight colour so I can touch in any scratches without having to remortgage the kids lol

joe

·
Registered
298 Posts
Isn't the original finish a powdercoat? Or is it paint?

To OP, I've powdercoated before, here's a close up result. The colour is anthracite with some silver flake in it, was kinda going for an OEM Plus look (OEM from far but custom from near). Excuse the dust...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts