MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. I'm finalizing my decision on a bike this tuesday (Ducati M1100s or '08 Brutale S) and I had a question. I won't bother with a "what would you get" as I can read all kinds of opinions, and this is an MV board after all. I have ridden them both back to back twice, and now I'm just nitpicking to make sure I'm making the right decision.

That said, here's my question: are all the electrical/stalling issues I read about on this board still present on the 08's? One of the things I like about the Duc is the 2 year warrantee, and I'm worried about hitting 13 months on the Brute and running into issues. Are there any other things I should know before buying a brutale? Any experience you can share with me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
All MVs have 2 year warranties too, so no worries there.

'08s have much lower frequency of issues, and the '08 part is a common fix for older bikes.

Welcome! :) Both are sweet bikes, though the Duck is a bit of a ug'ling.

·
Registered
102 Posts
How many miles do you intend to ride a year?

I have an 06 with 2200 miles, no electrical problems. My friend has one with 10K miles and no problems. If I rode it everyday, a warranty would be a concern, but my bike is just a toy. The most beautiful 2 wheeled toy I know of. I like the MV most for it's looks/engineering, then for its racing pedigree, and lastly it's scarcity. If I dropped big money on a bike, I would want some exclusivity. Ducatis are by far the most "common" Italian bike, so they just don't excite me anymore. I actually like the looks of the original Monster more, just my opinion.

I think most any new 600cc+ bike these days are faster than you need and pretty reliable and in reality motorcycles are just toys to Americans so get whatever one excites you the most. If you're realistically just going to ride nice weekends and not commute, a warranty may never be called upon.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
People can be so annoying. Walking up to you in parking lots, lowering their windows, forming a crowd around your Brutale when it is parked. You will daily have to answer questions like "Sweet! What kind of bike is that" and "who makes it" or "Dude, that is sick".

Get the Ducati.

CAG

·
Registered
235 Posts
People can be so annoying. Walking up to you in parking lots, lowering their windows, forming a crowd around your Brutale when it is parked. You will daily have to answer questions like "Sweet! What kind of bike is that" and "who makes it" or "Dude, that is sick".

Get the Ducati.

CAG
It beats hearing "I think your engine needs oil" type of statement, when you have an open clutch cover on a dry clutch!
The truth of the matter is, are you a I4 or a Vtwin kind of guy?
I love my MV but I miss the torque down low soo much when I ride it, on the other hand, low rpm, short shift, is where I feel more comfortable with. Can't beat the looks but let's face it, how long will it take to get parts if you need them these days? I love my MV but I really thing when the Street Fighter comes out she'll have to go!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2 things that sway me towards the Duc are the sound of the twin and the engine breaking. I'm coming from an 05 620, so it's what I'm used to. That said, I'm willing to get used to something else as welll *grin*

Ultimately, the Duc is more confidence inspiring, at least during the short test rides. For me, it's a question of:

1) Go with what I'm comfortable with
2) Go with something I can grow into

·
Registered
235 Posts
As far as being comfrtabe on the bike itself, if you are below 6' tall you're gonna love the way a Brutale wraps around you, other than that, is all a matter of getting used to.
I have to say 1 thing about the Brute, you can toss her around like a bicycle, is light and way more comfrtable than a Monster (I had a 07 S4Rs).

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
The 2 things that sway me towards the Duc are the sound of the twin and the engine breaking. I'm coming from an 05 620, so it's what I'm used to. That said, I'm willing to get used to something else as welll *grin*

Ultimately, the Duc is more confidence inspiring, at least during the short test rides. For me, it's a question of:

1) Go with what I'm comfortable with
2) Go with something I can grow into

The Triumph Speed Triple is great.... worth a look if you are still looking.

If you are sold on a v-twin, try a Tuono first.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as being comfrtabe on the bike itself, if you are below 6' tall you're gonna love the way a Brutale wraps around you, other than that, is all a matter of getting used to.
I have to say 1 thing about the Brute, you can toss her around like a bicycle, is light and way more comfrtable than a Monster (I had a 07 S4Rs).
The brute felt better from an ergo standpoint (I'm 5'9, 140) but again, it was only for the short test ride. I plan on doing quite a few trips from Philly to VA. The thing is, even though the duc seemed bigger, it was more confidence inspiring in the turns. The throttle response from the Brute was so fast that I felt I'd chirp it out in the corners and lose traction. Whereas the duc allowed me to go into a corner in pretty much any gear and use the engine breaking and low end torque to ease my way through. Either that, or being closer to the front wheel on the Brute made it just feel different than I'm used to.

I'm not new to bikes, but I am new to bikes bigger than my old M620.

·
Administrator
20,371 Posts
I have 2008 910R....a bit over 9000 miles so far. Zero complaints or problems (other than can't find time to ride enough). A minor intermittent drip from water pump mechanical seal vent hole is my only significant problem, and will be handled under warranty eventually. It hasn't ever caused a problem or kept me from riding, just makes a little mess on the side stand switch area.

I am close to your size and find this bike fits me like a glove.

The most important thing is having a good dealer with a qualified tech. I think most of the ongoing problems people report are due to incompetent technicians, not inherent problems with the bikes....JMHO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I apprecite your dilemma ...rest assured you will thoroughly enjoy either. The classic decison - V-twin vs I4; Duck vs MV. I have an 07 S4Rs and an 06 Brutale. After ridng both on the track and street, I still can't make up my mind which I prefer ...on any given Sunday, I guess. Don't fret, both are great. One thing though, after the riding, I can sit all night in my garage and stare at the MV - mechanical art indeed.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
I own two Ducatis and enjoy them both. Buy the Brutale.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a Brutale and my GF rides a Ducati Monster 696. Wash both bikes and you'll see the difference in the build quality (that's a hypothetical statement of course...they'd think you were crazy). I love the looks of the Monster, but I can't imagine having that instead of my Brutale.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Picked her up!

Only rode about 20 miles, but I couldn't be happier :mouthwate

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
Where's all the "CHICKS" with their shovels who supposedly dig Brutales? I don't see a one, not even a shadow.

Nice bike man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts