MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People,

I have an F4 750 2000 model which is rarely used.

The indicators flash with the alarm (when I arm and disarm the alarm) but sometimes annoyingly not when operating the handlebar switch. When in the 'failed' state none of the indicators flash and the indicator does not flash on the dash

I assume the switch is getting old. I have sprayed in some switch cleaning lubricant which sometimes helps. I would appreciate thoughts on what may be causing this.

Cheers

Sub

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks mate, does this sound like it could be a faulty switch issue though

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guys,

I would appreciate any more thoughts on this thread please? Can I ask if there is a 'flasher unit' that controls the flashing of the indicators. I am beginning to think it would not be the switch on the handlebars

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Viggn, do we know if they are prone to causing such a failure

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi @Submariner

If the indicators flash when you arm or disarm the alarm my thinking would be the flasher relay is working, as are the all the indicators/bulbs wiring etc. This would strongly suggest to me it is the switch. My first action would be to check the switch wiring and operation using a multimeter.

HTH

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Brutale, my thoughts were that perhaps the alarm module provided the flashing function

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good point, would need an alarm guy to confirm or otherwise.

Assuming that the fault is not caused by loose connection or chaffed wire my further thoughts are these: In my experience flasher relays fail. Switches wear and develop intermittent faults before failing. Your switch is 19 years old, so it has to be the prime suspect and is where I would start, but like all electronic/electrical faults - you never cease to be surprised.

Good luck with it.

·
Administrator
20,746 Posts
The alarm does not activate the flashers independent of the relay (called the intermittance in MV parlance). Therefore I believe the problem is not the relay.

You can easily check the switch with an ohmmeter.... There is a connection diagram and instruction for the switch in the Chassis Workshop Manual. You should see near zero resistance on the 2 contacts (3 wires).

Activate with meter connected multiple times in each direction to confirm minimal and consistent resistance each time. More than 1 ohm would indicate corrosion on the contacts.

You may be able to disassemble the switch to clean the contacts if you like working with small things.

Reactions: Brutale800RR

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys I am going to look into this and come back to you. I was especially thankful to know that the alarm doesnt provide the flashing function

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Friends,

Went out into the garage tonight and removed the switch assembly which was dead simple. I took time to clean it all up with switch cleaning lubicant and then regrease and put back together. It now seems to work fine but the fault was previously intermittent. Thanks to you all for your help and assistance its greatly appreciated

Reactions: esq'z me

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks guys

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
?

Down load the manual, and use the electrical trouble shooting guide
Stop hypothesizing about what's wrong......see above^

Do yourself a favor, bin your alarm

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
People,

it transpires that my indicator switch is knackered and the flasher certainly works.

Mine is a 2000 model 750 F4. The link below is an eBay part which at first looks like it is an identical item to that fitted on my bike.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142627246283?ul_noapp=true

However, upon closer examination the part in the attached photo does not seem to have a headlight 'slider' on it whereas mine (as shown in the attached photo seems to have a headlight slider. Does anyone know where I can obtain an identical version to the existing one I have fitted to my bike.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See photos

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,746 Posts
Yeah...should have the Hi-Low switch included..... use the parts catalogs on StarTwin Trading web site to get the correct part number to search for.

Call your nearest dealer and inquire about availability and cost from the factory.

Edit..... It is the headlight on/off switch. The Hi-Lo is the push button. More discussion in my latest post.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks Esq'z Me, Ill have a look and I am sure that will help

·
Administrator
20,746 Posts
@Submariner I just went and looked at both my bikes. The switch on your bike doesn't look exactly like the ones on my 2004 F4 and my 2008 910R Brutale.

The turn signal lever knob is different from my bikes, mine are just plain black, and I have no headlight on/off sliding switch.

You are in the UK, and have an early model, so you have a headlight On/Off sliding switch as well as the Hi-Lo beam push button.

The switch you see on eBay does not have the lights on/off switch. I believe deletion of the on/off switch became standard globally at some point in time. We USA guys never had it (USA homologation rules).

I recall (a while ago) a lot of people searching for the early European switch so they could get the lights on/off feature for their later model bikes.

If all you need is the turn signal portion, I would think you could buy one without the lights on/off and use the turn signal bits to rebuild yours.

That may be your best (and possibly only) bet.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks awfully for the time and effort in detailing your thoughts. The flasher definately works so I have started to look at the components inside the switch gear. With a small set of screw drivers I can get right into the switch assembly and clean the switch contacts. Im hoping this will sort the problem as it certainly appears that obtaining a replacement switch if needed will mean the canabalising of another switch as the original switch seems dead rare

1 - 20 of 24 Posts