MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just joined (names Jonathan) the forum in hopes of maybe becoming a future F4 owner; however as with any "exotic" bike I just wanted to get some feedback on the good and the bad about a 2000 F4S. I've never actually riden one, other than admired them from a distance. I've owned several Ducati's from Monsters to 996's, with my bike of choice these days to be my mono triple nine. I have also been on many Jap machine including Gixxer 750's and R1's to boot, so it's safe to say I've had my tatse of both power and beauty, but the Agusta F4S has been nothing but a "mystery" in a sense to me. As fortune would have it, I ran into one for sale with low miles (2K to be exact) in what seems to be showroom like condition. The price is right and I want to add it to my collection, but before I take that leap, I just wanted to pick your heads to see what advice is out here. Anything to look out for, or be weary of in such a purchase of this model and year? What will I expect (or not) from having ridden 999's and 996's in the past few years, getting on the 2000 F4S? Will it put a smile on my face, or will I be left with wanting more? HP numbers seem up to par, TQ figures are lower than I'm use to, but there's quite a few more RPM's too look fwd to. Well, I won't take it any further. I look fwd to all your responses. Thanks in advance. Jonathan....

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
You will get several opinions, I'm sure, but going from a 999, you may prefer the F4 1000 over the 750 (as evidenced by many 750 owners recently upgrading), however, some of us prefer smaller bikes that are a bit more rev-happy. Either way, the handling will astound you with the stability and feedback of your duck, but more responsive.
Besides, it looks better :king:

The 2000 has some issues, but not many, and these are very reliable, solid bikes, with some typical Italian quirks built in.

see James C's excellent http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/
and Welcome! :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi Jonathan, welcome to mvagusta.net. If you check out the older threads on the forum, this question has come up several times in the past. F4's are on the whole very reliable. I used to have a 996 Duke and the MV's build quality is much better in my opinion. The levels of finish and quality control are up there with the Japanese if not better in some areas. You mention a 2000 model.

I would get a later one if you can afford it. Evo II or III. More power and several uprated components. Check out JamesC's blogspot for FAQ's on the F4's. Finally try and test ride a F4 if you can; having said that I bought my first MV without riding it first, but I was smitten from the off. Good luck with your quest. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Fazer, thanks for the prompt welcome! I have no doubt that I would be happy with a grin from ear to ear with a 1000, but I really don't want to shell out that much on another (fourth) bike at the moment. The wife would have my family jewels on a silver platter if you know what I mean. I'm well aware the 750 is a "smaller" bike than anything I have ridden for a while, but at the same time getting back on something with a little more rev isn't always a bad thing. Ducati's twin's are infamous for their arm-ripping low end torque, while the in-line 4's are well know for their long-hauling RPM's, so you gotta have a little give and take. I just want to be certain the F4S's "long-haul" isn't lacking. Can anyone give some insight on to the power curve of the bike? I know we're not comparing apples to apples here, but if I can grasp what the bike is best compared to, in terms of power, it'll make this buy a whole lot easier. Oh and thanks for that blog link....

Oh you know what I forgot to ask... What are the 2000's, 2001's, and 2002's going for on avg these days? The 2000 that I have found, the original owner is asking $11k. It has a set of slip on pipes, and a bunch of factory carbon fiber parts. Says he paid double that amount adding in all the mods since he purchased it in 2001 as a left over model.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
The 750 in 2000 is pretty much comparable to a new 600 in terms of raw numbers of HP and TQ, or, a 750 of the same year. The powerband is MUCH MUCH smoother on the MV though. It's not "peaky" like the jap bikes where there are dead spots all over the place, and extreme acceleration at certain points. Don't get me wrong, MVs are no slouch, but my Brutale wakes up after 5-6K RPM...but the power delivery is SMOOTH. You'll find that for any inline though. The only difference is how much it wakes up...

My 750 Brutale S

The Brutale motor is basically a slightly detuned F4 motor. But the power delivery is essentially the same on all MVs from what I've gathered.

Below is a dyno of airfuels 910R....same linear-type powerband, only higher numbers throughout...

You should definitly love it. I was like John and didn't test ride 1st...I bought, threw it in teh back of teh cargo van, strapped her down, and went home. I came from a modded superhawk, and driven RC51's while I owned the Hawk. So I know what the transition is gonna be like. Just get used to having to wait for the HP to come when you flog it unless you're above 5K rpm....drive it like a 2-stroke, and you'll understand why some magazines fall in love with the 750's "zip" to the punch in the nuts power of the 1000...well, that quote was for Brutales, but you get the picture. The handling, IMO is superior to any Duc out there. I've ridden 748-999s's and Monsters....definitly more telepathic, and the 49mm fork makes the front end all that much better. Ohlins-schmolins...

·
Registered
438 Posts
:stickpoke i was a hardcore ducati guy, debated on getting a 749R to go along with my 748 before i bought the SPR, and let me tell you, i made the RIGHT choice!

the handling of the MV is by far the best i've ever experienced, it gives me confidence during full lean that i could never get from my duc. the power is amazing, coming from a twin....it was a bit of a ride for me to get used to, but now that i've had some time on her i love it!! much more different than my old cbr 600 in terms of powerband, it's truly a unique inline 4...

to give you an idea, since i bought the mv 3 weeks ago, the ducati hasn't moved at all in the garage.

just ride one and you'll see why we're so fanatic about them. :conveyer: :stickpoke :stickpoke :stickpoke

1 - 7 of 7 Posts