MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi There,

Just new to this forum... would like some assistance with my potential purchase please!

I am looking at purchasing a 06 Brutale 910R. Its black with small red decal and red rocker covers (i have attached a pic) and has the MC titanium exhaust and eprom to take it to 144HP. Its done 16,000kms (10k miles odd). It has had one owner since purchased new in early 07.

It has had a full service history since new, purchased and maintained at a MV dealer in New Zealand. There are two things that have been done outside of its standard servicing:

1). New rear bearing set (owner over-tightened the rear bearing as part of a bike check before a big ride)
2). Replacement front rim (factory recall from MV)

As part of the purchase he has agreed to get full service done on the bike.

My question is: Is there anything that i should ask to get checked at the same time? Anything to be weary of? ...can you check the rear bearings, etc?

PS: Other bikes i was looking at are: 09 Triumph Street Triple R and a 07 KTM SuperDuke R (now that was an outstanding bike to ride!)

Cheers from NZ

Simon

Current Bike: 07 Honda VTR 250! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Welcome! :)

Yes, I'd have them check the wheel bearings if you're concerned about it. All 3 off your choices are stellar bikes, but only the MV stirs my soul.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Nice, if you don't already know, that bike has been for sale at XXX for quite a while. Hope you are getting them to knock off quite a few $$ :)

Very few MV's selling right now so its a buyers market. PM me if you want some details, I got my F4 about 4 weeks ago in AKL.

Had the Triumph (nice but flawed), the KTM looks interesting, but there is no way they compare in the finish or engine department to the MV. It will be a huge upgrade from the 250, don't drop it in the dealers driveway!!!

Dave

·
Registered
215 Posts
welcome to the site, i owned the 990 super duke, loved it to bits with the ackprovic cans, very original,only problem i had was the battery it in the belly pan under rad, pig to get to, and gets soaked if you ride all year, i got through two battery's in a year, but mine was an 06 so it might have changed since then, I didn't think twice about chopping it in for the brutale 910, but I've always loved m.v's, as for triumph i think they can very unreliable, but I've never owned one.:blah:

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Other than the red tape n the rims which degrades handling, lowers horse power, and causes attractive women who would other wise be attracted to you avert their eyes in horror, sounds like a nice bike.

Good choice.

CAG

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will be a huge upgrade from the 250, don't drop it in the dealers driveway!!!
Yea - seen that already on youtube to many times! LOL

I have riden the 04 Brutale 750 S, took it over the kaimais and back again for a good burn, but it was too revvy for me and didnt feel smooth on the corners because of lack of tourqe.. Im hoping the 910R is much better in this dept (which it is im told).

Interesting comment about the Street Triple.. what was your thoughts on it?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Other than the red tape n the rims which degrades handling, lowers horse power, and causes attractive women who would other wise be attracted to you avert their eyes in horror, sounds like a nice bike.

Good choice.

CAG
CAG,

Full advert for it here. As you can see the red tape is a new addition.... Madness I say!!!!

Also comes with a crumpet in boots by the look of it, so operating expenses could be horrific :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-188355284.htm

·
Registered
548 Posts
Interesting comment about the Street Triple.. what was your thoughts on it?
Nice, but the engine seems "uneasy" in some way at most points of the rev range at steady throttle. Happy to accelerate in the mid range, but felt like it was trying to escape when just motoring along. Could be the fueling or the fact that its one cylinder short :naughty:

Nice bike, but the MV is in a different league !

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CAG,

Full advert for it here. As you can see the red tape is a new addition.... Madness I say!!!!

Also comes with a crumpet in boots by the look of it, so operating expenses could be horrific :)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-188355284.htm

Hmm.. maybe I posed the wrong pic of the bike in the first place... This is the one that i got it off:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports//auction-205478058.htm

But you have the correct link in your post. However - what threw me is that the main pic is acually a blue one. But the rest of the pics are the black. Strange.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
welcome to the site, i owned the 990 super duke, loved it to bits with the ackprovic cans, very original,only problem i had was the battery it in the belly pan under rad, pig to get to, and gets soaked if you ride all year, i got through two battery's in a year, but mine was an 06 so it might have changed since then, I didn't think twice about chopping it in for the brutale 910, but I've always loved m.v's, as for triumph i think they can very unreliable, but I've never owned one.:blah:
The SuperDuke R was very cool. There is no other bike i have ridden that gave me as much confidence in the corners as that bike, it felt like it just wanted to lie down on its sides!!

The v-twin was sweet, very sweet and LOTs of fun. BUT: There is absolutly no way I could spend more than an hour in the seat, you cant put a tail or tank pack on the thing, i was on my tippy toes at the lights... and becuase you are so high up and sitting up the air you got at 145kms/h was insane.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hi There,

would like some assistance with my potential purchase please!

I am looking at purchasing a 06 Brutale 910R.

My question is: Is there anything that i should ask to get checked at the same time? Anything to be weary of? ...can you check the rear bearings, etc?

Cheers from NZ

Simon

Current Bike: 07 Honda VTR 250! :)
I've had a 06 910R since new in NZ. Got 55,000km on it.

From my perspective.

Great machine not interested in getting rid of it, BUT...

They are not a bike if you are on a budget. Expensive to run and maintain.
My 3 major transport bike home by biketrans have been all corrosion related.

1. Corrosion in harness causing earthing failure
2. The infamous Power Supply unit failing, dismantled old one and found water had got in and corroded an intergrated circuit .
3. Fuel pump failed. Cause was corrosion in the plug from the tank to the harness. 9The MV agent I had it taken to diagonosed the problem to be fuel pump failure. and wanted NZ$1550 up front and 6 week wait if the factory had it in stock otherwise a 3 month wait.

:drummer: My view.
Absolutely love riding it, even done a few 800km days on it. You learn to HTFU after a while.
Done 9 trips from Auckland to the Sth Island on it. Never had any of the problems on those trips, thank God.

They are a relatively easy bike to work on. Basically doing all the maint on it my self now, being overseen by a friend when needed. (Mainly the friggin electrics always hard to understand until you find the problem then it looks so easy.)
The rear hub , have a problem with it now, got the bearings, still trying to find the seals. My perspective on the hub is . Dont let anyone adjust it unless your watching I carry a torque wrench with me. Keep waterblasters away from the hub, the whole bike for that matter. Ive never used one on it

:lightning Find someone you trust to do anything on it otherwise . My main problem no one in NZ seems to be interested or have any expertise in them, agents included the most experienced one I found doesn't even have the shims in stock. Not enough experience with them with such a limited market, I think.

P.S. it was the rear wheel that was done under the recall and they tried to rip me off for the new tyre that came on it.

They are an awesome machine.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've had a 06 910R since new in NZ. Got 55,000km on it.

From my perspective.

Great machine not interested in getting rid of it, BUT...

They are not a bike if you are on a budget. Expensive to run and maintain.
My 3 major transport bike home by biketrans have been all corrosion related.

1. Corrosion in harness causing earthing failure
2. The infamous Power Supply unit failing, dismantled old one and found water had got in and corroded an intergrated circuit .
3. Fuel pump failed. Cause was corrosion in the plug from the tank to the harness. 9The MV agent I had it taken to diagonosed the problem to be fuel pump failure. and wanted NZ$1550 up front and 6 week wait if the factory had it in stock otherwise a 3 month wait.

:drummer: My view.
Absolutely love riding it, even done a few 800km days on it. You learn to HTFU after a while.
Done 9 trips from Auckland to the Sth Island on it. Never had any of the problems on those trips, thank God.

They are a relatively easy bike to work on. Basically doing all the maint on it my self now, being overseen by a friend when needed. (Mainly the friggin electrics always hard to understand until you find the problem then it looks so easy.)
The rear hub , have a problem with it now, got the bearings, still trying to find the seals. My perspective on the hub is . Dont let anyone adjust it unless your watching I carry a torque wrench with me. Keep waterblasters away from the hub, the whole bike for that matter. Ive never used one on it

:lightning Find someone you trust to do anything on it otherwise . My main problem no one in NZ seems to be interested or have any expertise in them, agents included the most experienced one I found doesn't even have the shims in stock. Not enough experience with them with such a limited market, I think.

P.S. it was the rear wheel that was done under the recall and they tried to rip me off for the new tyre that came on it.

They are an awesome machine.
Thanks for the great reply!! How much do you recon you have spent over all over the past three years?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and kiwidoc.. Are you Doc on kiwibiker?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
As Kiwidoc says the market in NZ is very small and you need to find a good dealer, Andy in Tauranga is a good guy so go see him. The 910R is a brilliant bike and normal maintenance on my MVs is less than on my Ducatis. It is a big step up from your 250 so treat it with respect and you won't regret it, ciao Kiwi

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh, and kiwidoc.. Are you Doc on kiwibiker?
Yep that's me.

The 1st 6 months costs

Took it in for 12k service 6 months to the day.
cost of 3rd set of tyres
3 services
6 months rego
and the fuel to do 12k
came to NZ$240 a week. Decided to discontinue this idea of keeping a log of costs, as it could lead to economic depression.
Great bike, buy it cos you want it . :stickpoke you know you want it.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Took the 910R for a ride yesterday, it was everything i had hoped it would be.

As you can see (attached pic) it was a PERFECT day.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Hi There,

Just new to this forum... would like some assistance with my potential purchase please!

My question is: Is there anything that i should ask to get checked at the same time? Anything to be weary of? ... :)

Only one thing Simon.....Chicks really dig Brutie riders. :)

BTW welcome to the forum....

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Only one thing Simon.....Chicks really dig Brutie riders. :)

BTW welcome to the forum....
Must be why the misses is letting me buy it eh? ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts