MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading on the forum not to wash these bikes with high pressure water, and I swear I didn't. But I did use a hose to clean the Brutale. Big mistake. Now the digital dash and the tach don't work. The bike runs fine. The dummy lights on top all work as well as the indicators high beam, horn etc. What is also happening is when I hit the starter button while the bike is running*which should cycle the info on the dash* the starter engages... :bandit:

did I just become a statistic?

can someone who used to wash their bike with water lead in the right direction. I've checked the fuses on the right side of the bike and they are all okay. Is there another dash fuse? The manual is not helping me right now.

thanks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Could be water in something/wiring loom - it might dry out - mine went silly once after a wash - came back alright!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Take off the plastic cover over the dash and hit all the wires and connections with WD40, then wipe it dry. See if that helps, you may have just gotten a connection wet. You might also want to check the fuse box and make sure its dry. I would pull every fuse one at a time put a little electric grease on them (you can get a small tube at the local auto parts store)and put them back in.

If that makes your problem go away you'll be fine. The real water issue is not the electric but the rear wheel bearings, you really don't want to get water into that area. I don't use water , just because its not worth the aggravation. You can achieve the same results with windex, wax, and cleaners and you dont need to dry it off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning anything other then glass, it ruins paint and plastic.

·
Registered
14,565 Posts
Windex has ammonia in it. I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning anything other then glass, it ruins paint and plastic.
and it ruins window tint too.....i had a window tint business:drummer:

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I have never washed any of my bikes with water - period. I guess it's easy for me as I don't rie in the rain & I have not (touch wood) been caught in the rain since September 1994 (almost died of hypothermia) - even last year travelling the south island New Zealand with Dave (The_castle) for 8-9 days we only encountered a couple of hours of slight drizzle & perfect weather outside that, I guess I am lucky :) Ok so what's my point? Gosh after that rambling I've forgotten.

Don't think I am going to put this post in my "greatest ever posts" portofolio :wtf:

Oh yes, do what slammp suggests it is very sensible but don't use windex unless it's on glass - we have Mr Sheen here - it's a furniture household polish & it works a treat - about 25% of the cost of Motul cleaners like - Wax & Shine or Clean & Go. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update: Water got in the dash assembly and was creating problems. water bad. It's all better now. Thanks for the wd-40 tip. I never knew that the WD was for Water Displacement. I've known about not using high pressure washing for the sake of wheel bearings, and now hub bearings aswell.
Thanks forum, you saved me a trip to the stealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts