MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I just spent a delightful morning installing RG3 slip-ons and a straight-through mid-pipe on my 2005 F4. I also installed the RG3 EPROM that came with the slip-ons. My post-install test ride showed that my idle speed was very low, and the engine would typically stall upon slowing to a stop. Higher RPM band performance seemed OK, with no backfilres or hesitations.

As a check, I put the stock EPROM back in the ECU. That solved the low idle/stall problem, but the engine now will backfire when I chop the throttle, shooting most excellent blue flames from the exhaust pipes.

Here's the question. If I put the RG3 EPROM back in, can I solve the low idle/stall problem just by adjusting the idle setting on the ECU, or do I need to do the whole TPS, exhaust gas, throttle body setting adjustment procedure, as detailed in the FAQ? If the latter, I'll probably have to postpone this until I can set aside time to visit FBF, who are about 4 hours away from where I live.

Thanks for any/all help in this regard,
Joe

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
jcmaxwell said:
Hi y'all,

I just spent a delightful morning installing RG3 slip-ons and a straight-through mid-pipe on my 2005 F4. I also installed the RG3 EPROM that came with the slip-ons. My post-install test ride showed that my idle speed was very low, and the engine would typically stall upon slowing to a stop. Higher RPM band performance seemed OK, with no backfilres or hesitations.

As a check, I put the stock EPROM back in the ECU. That solved the low idle/stall problem, but the engine now will backfire when I chop the throttle, shooting most excellent blue flames from the exhaust pipes.

Here's the question. If I put the RG3 EPROM back in, can I solve the low idle/stall problem just by adjusting the idle setting on the ECU, or do I need to do the whole TPS, exhaust gas, throttle body setting adjustment procedure, as detailed in the FAQ? If the latter, I'll probably have to postpone this until I can set aside time to visit FBF, who are about 4 hours away from where I live.

Thanks for any/all help in this regard,
Joe
Ideally it would be nice to go through the whole set up, but I think I would just twiddle the idle "co" pot next to the eprom untill you have around 3.5-4.0% co, maybe also try it up to about 5.5% if you have the luxury of being able to try it.

the problem with MV is I don't think they use a base line before they set up the Rg3 exhaust eprom.

The co should not effect the main running too much as it adds fuel as an added time to the original supplied fuel, so as revs and load increase the added time effectively becomes smaller.

the best solution IMHO after 6 yeras of MV ownership is a proper set up, then a Power Commander and custom dyno map :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I like the most excellent blue flames bit JC. :smoking: I started my F4 up after a lay off of a couple of weeks and nearly set fire to the wooden box of junk that was sat on a bench behind my bike, :jsm: looked very spectacular though!! :naughty:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, with the RG3 chip back in, I just adjusted the idle pot until I got the idle speed stable at about 1400 rpm indicated (which is where it originally was with the stock EPROM). The engine runs fine now, over the entire RPM band. Downside is no more righteous blue flames shooting out of the pipes :smoking:

Thanks, Mike and John!

·
Registered
819 Posts
jcmaxwell said:
Well, with the RG3 chip back in, I just adjusted the idle pot until I got the idle speed stable at about 1400 rpm indicated (which is where it originally was with the stock EPROM). The engine runs fine now, over the entire RPM band. Downside is no more righteous blue flames shooting out of the pipes :smoking:

Thanks, Mike and John!

Can you guys pm me with your plans for the stock pipes please?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Keep em and fit them when I sell the bike, no body ever wants a modified bike and you never recoop the monry you have spent on extra's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts