MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Back from physical exam with my doctor today. I have moderate hand arthritis. Usually I just take two Advil before a ride and I am ok. Been riding my Moto Guzzi V7 past week or so, and it has a light clutch. My Dragster RR, however, has a much heavier pull clutch. My hands are small anyway, and have seen a lot of wear and tear.

Age is catching up with me at 67.

So a question please to the tech gurus: is there a way to lighten the clutch pull on my bike? Any ideas?

What bothers me is Houston stop and go traffic. Otherwise its not a big deal with QS and easy neutral.

Grazie!

·
Super Moderator
24,733 Posts
If you go to a larger slave cylinder you can lower lever resistance. You will have to be cognizant of fluid volume moved as there is a limit to the master cylinder.
You could also go with a longer lever to reduce pull.
The most expensive option would be a radial master cylinder and new slave.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The most expensive option would be a radial master cylinder and new slave.

Thanks!

I note a lot of recent bikes (Ducati new Monster) have a radial master cylinder. They probably are targeting riders without Popeye hand strength? I just occurred to me that I carried a paddle board four blocks, through loose sand, to return to rental place last Saturday at Destin, FL. There might be a correlation with hand pain? I pick up the MV sometime this week. Perhaps with care my hands will recover?

When I bought the Dragster I noted the stiff clutch pull. Almost killed the sale. My Triumph 675 that I traded had a much easier clutch. I have never understood why some bikes are designed with hard clutches. Oh well.

• Haha
Reactions: williamleeriding

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hi. With the Brembo Rcs 16 you can get a good improvement. If you decide to go that way you will also need the adapter for the line.

👍🏻

·
Registered
Turismo Veloce Rosso EAS -20
38 Posts
One option could be different clutch like STM made clutch which is using Bevel-spring instead of std helical.

I haven't tried that one but reading comments and checking technical concept. Had a plan myself as well but due to same reason but getting fine after certain training...Popeye.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Slipper clutches usually have lighter pull because they use mechanical locking ramps that pull the clutch together when under power. Thus the clutch springs can be lighter.

·
Old Wing Nut
23,290 Posts
Slipper clutches usually have lighter pull because they use mechanical locking ramps that pull the clutch together when under power. Thus the clutch springs can be lighter.
Actually, that is not true of all "slipper" clutches. That is what is called a "slip and assist" clutch. Quite common now on many sport bikes, but the Suter slipper I just installed in my F4 track bike does not "assist". That function requires bi-directional ramps. An improvement on the basic slipper.
"Assist" only clutches have been around for a while. The Suzuki Hayabusa has had one since its inception, but it has no slipper function.

Reactions: falcn

·
Registered
38 Posts
And KTM is using those assisted ones as well. My previous 950 Adventure had one and you were able to use just one finger for clutch. When I jumped on TV and tried same... no way, had to use 2 fingers.

Funny, in KTM one finger for clutch and 3 for a brake. In TV, 2 fingers for clutch and 1 for brake...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually, that is not true of all "slipper" clutches. That is what is called a "slip and assist" clutch. Quite common now on many sport bikes, but the Suter slipper I just installed in my F4 track bike does not "assist". That function requires bi-directional ramps. An improvement on the basic slipper.
"Assist" only clutches have been around for a while. The Suzuki Hayabusa has had one since its inception, but it has no slipper function.
Ah yes, my bad. Not all slipper clutches are assist clutches!

Does Adige make an APTC for several MV?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Year ago, they didn’t. You should get a little bit lighter pull by STM clutch as well when Bevelled spring will offer highest pressure for plates when engaged and getting lower when disengaged, just opposite to helical springs.

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
Another MC option is Galespeed along with a larger slave as mentioned. (I’ll try to give a report on my new Elaborate setup for first Gen tho)

·
Registered
207 Posts
HI There,

as an old Ducati dude I can feel you, compare to my other bikes the Duc has the hardest pull and after a day on the track or country roads I can skip gym. back in the days most of my friends changed to STM after market slave cylinders, however there is always a trade off as increasing the cylinder diameter will also increase the pull.

I have attached a list which may help to understand what if....its not MV, but if you look into the diameters etc. you get an idea.

personally, try the STM slave 1st if

cheers

mjvduc

Attachments

Reactions: lucydad
1 - 13 of 13 Posts