MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just took delivery of an 08 910S, orange and black and was not happy with the extreme , IMO , handlebar vibration. So after searching this forum I decided to try pouring some very small lead balls from a scuba weight bag into the handlebar. Voila !!!!!! No, it's not as smooth as my ZX14 but what a HUGE improvement. Definitely liveable.

Dave

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
congrats on the bike!

interesting solution.... keeps the stock look for sure! :)

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I guess you could use some lead buckshot from an ammo store, too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've got to ask. How much weight does this method add?

Those balls seem like they'd be awfully heavy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vlad Drac said:
I've got to ask. How much weight does this method add?

Those balls seem like they'd be awfully heavy.
The handlebar holds 1 lb. 8 ounces. Just got back from an hour long ride including about 10 minutes of 80 mph highway and the reduction in vibration is very noticeable. Not perfect but like I said earlier definitely liveable.

Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "balls" are very small and made from lead so kinda "soft". No you don't hear them at all.

Try it, you'll definitely like the results. And for some reason if you don't take 'em out.

Dave

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
brutale_rosso said:
your bars got balls
Small, heavy balls at that!:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Another similar solution is to fill the bars with Silastic.

It's lighter than lead but still dampens out the harmonics through the tube.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The "lead shot in the handlebar trick" was commonly used in big-bore 2-stroke MX bikes in the 80s... my '87 CR500 was like riding a paint shaker.

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the improvement my Motovations weighted bar ends gave. Might get more improvement with the bars filled with lead, but I needed the bar ends for my CRG Lane Spliiters anyway. There is also the "Bar Snake" solution which gets rave reveiws from some riders. Won't work for clip-ons, and may not work so great with Brutale tapered bars. I emailed the company once for info but never got a reply. www.barsnake.com

·
Administrator
20,388 Posts
RoHS ???? Is that some New Hampshire thing? Must say, the CRGs give a much better easy rear view then the OE mirors did, and the bar ends really did help with vibration.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most importantly, congratulations on your new bike and welcome to this forum which seems to have a lot of grumpy old men (myself included). The orange and black is stunning. I had to settle for an 06 red and graphite based on the price.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts