MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been experiencing difficult gear changes up from 4th-5th-6th on my 2014 Brutale 800 "Italia" for over 10 months now. It clunks into gear under load when I use the Quick Shift and without using the Quick Shift it seems to have a 2 step change and does not change smoothly. My Dealer has changed the gear box and clutch with no improvement at all. They stated in writing on 7th of May 2015 that they needed to consult with MV Agusta for more information on this issue. Since then I have not heard anything. Yesterday I wrote a letter to MV, The Dealer and The Importer requesting that some action be taken to remedy the issue and will wait patiently for a response. I felt sure when I purchased this Beautiful motorcycle that despite some reliability issues currently experienced by some owners, the build quality and reliability of a motorcycle bearing the Italian colours would be second to none. Sadly this is not the case. I have had a Throttle upgrade after a breakdown, Clutch sensor replaced, Gear position sensor replaced, Gear box/Clutch replaced and Starter sprag clutch replaced. All done willingly by the dealer under warranty. But still I have to put up with poor gear changes. How are other owners finding the support from Dealers, Importers and the MV Agusta factory ?????

·
Registered
445 Posts
the build quality and reliability of a motorcycle bearing the Italian colours would be second to none.
I love my Italian bikes, and have had Ducati, aprilia and now MV. Italian bikes are not high on the reliability list. I hope they step up and take care of this, it needs to be dealt with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am hoping for a good result. This is a great motorcycle in all other respects, but unfortunately the gear box issue has just taken the gloss off the top and is starting to leave a bad taste in the mouth. I thought the Dealership and Importers would have been able to show some more support and not shrug their shoulders and leave me in the cold.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Out of curiosity, have you ridden any other brutales to see if they dont have the issue? Obviously the problem isnt in your gearbox (or at least highly unlikely that youd have the same problem out of two gearboxes) since its been replaced. When you dont use the quick shifter do you actually turn it off or are you just using the clutch (easy way to tell if the QS is somehow the issue).

FWIW, you might want to give more information about your support plight. From what you said, theyve willingly put a decent percentage of the bike into warranty work with little question, that sounds pretty decent to me. I'd be willing to bet, though, that theres far more to the story thats led you to this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I have ridden 2 other B3 800's and they both had this same problem. So that is 4 gear boxes that I have noticed this issue with. I think it is a mechanical fault in the shifting drum and dogs. I turn off the Quick Shifter when not using it. I have however found that I get good gear changes when I use no clutch or quick shift, but according to the MV manual this is not recommended. Lucky I have lots of patience and will keep adding progress reports to this post.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the problem could be with either the shift drum, forks or dogs on the gears. I have just had a message from a 2015 F3 owner in Germany and he has the same problem, but only 5th to 6th gear changes. I am hoping for more responses to see if it is a wide spread issue. Stay tuned, and thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Yes, I have ridden 2 other B3 800's and they both had this same problem. So that is 4 gear boxes that I have noticed this issue with.
So are you saying that EVERY B3 800 you have tried is like it..... Hmmmm ????

·
Administrator
20,348 Posts
You've ridden 3 MVs with exact same shifting difficulty? And yet that gearbox is the same design/base components as every other 3 cylinder MV out there......I think it may be you, and not the bike that has a shifting problem. Otherwise we would be hearing hundreds of people voicing the same concern.

As for occasional 5th to 6th shifts being balky, this can be experienced on pretty much every bike out there with constant mesh transmission if the shift is taking place at lower rpms and road speed.

Perhaps you need to adjust your shift lever or footrest position. What kind of boots are you using? That can affect shifting as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I mentioned this 5th to 6th clunk problem to my dealer, they said it was my fault (too low rpm) with the quickshifter. :conveyer:

You've ridden 3 MVs with exact same shifting difficulty? And yet that gearbox is the same design/base components as every other 3 cylinder MV out there......I think it may be you, and not the bike that has a shifting problem. Otherwise we would be hearing hundreds of people voicing the same concern.

As for occasional 5th to 6th shifts being balky, this can be experienced on pretty much every bike out there with constant mesh transmission if the shift is taking place at lower rpms and road speed.

Perhaps you need to adjust your shift lever or footrest position. What kind of boots are you using? That can affect shifting as well.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Having ridden a lot of the new 3cyl machines and having put over 12k miles on my own B800 I have nothing but praise for the excellent gearboxes and shift feel on these bikes.

Plenty of my friends have also ridden our bikes and all seem pretty happy with the shift.

If every MV bike you have tried is suffering from a fault that is just too bizarre to understand.

Sorry that may sound like not a lot of help to you but something weird is going on here.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Low rpm shifting issue's with quick shifters are not a new thing, in the old systems you could not even shift with a quick shifter below 5000rpm. Some guys just have to learn this, I'm not sure that all dealers know that they might have to train some riders, not just sell them bikes.
I'm not sure, but I doubt that the MV electronics can adapt ignition interruption times enough to suit low rpm shifting.
I've only ever had great changing on the 675's and 800's I've tried, but I only the quick shifter in high rpm.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I find the gearbox on the F3 motor a joy.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Low rpm shifting issue's with quick shifters are not a new thing, in the old systems you could not even shift with a quick shifter below 5000rpm. Some guys just have to learn this, I'm not sure that all dealers know that they might have to train some riders, not just sell them bikes.
I'm not sure, but I doubt that the MV electronics can adapt ignition interruption times enough to suit low rpm shifting.
I've only ever had great changing on the 675's and 800's I've tried, but I only the quick shifter in high rpm.
I use it at 3-4k occasionally. It hiccups and isnt very fun, but it works 100% of the time. 6k is a peach.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, Yes it would appear that I may be at fault??? However I have noticed on other threads that others are having this problem. I am a Mechanical Engineer with 38 years experience, I have Raced and ridden many different motorcycles since the age of 7 years. I have restored and rebuild many motorcycle engines and gearboxes for myself and others even for payment at times. I do fully understand the mechanicals of a motorcycle gear box. This gear box is not right. Now it may be only a very few selected bikes ? But why did I have issues with 4 gear boxes I have tried ? As I mentioned earlier, when I use no clutch with the quick shift turned OFF it changes very well and positively !!! Therefore, why do I have an issue when I use the clutch as it was intended ??? I have heard from MV Assistance that the Asia-Pacific Manager is going to contact me about this issue. Yee Haa, only 10 months for someone to take notice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi, Yes it would appear that I may be at fault??? However I have noticed on other threads that others are having this problem. I am a Mechanical Engineer with 38 years experience, I have Raced and ridden many different motorcycles since the age of 7 years. I have restored and rebuild many motorcycle engines and gearboxes for myself and others even for payment at times. I do fully understand the mechanicals of a motorcycle gear box. This gear box is not right. Now it may be only a very few selected bikes ? But why did I have issues with 4 gear boxes I have tried ? As I mentioned earlier, when I use no clutch with the quick shift turned OFF it changes very well and positively !!! Therefore, why do I have an issue when I use the clutch as it was intended ??? I have heard from MV Assistance that the Asia-Pacific Manager is going to contact me about this issue. Yee Haa, only 10 months for someone to take notice.

From the description of your symptoms, perhaps the issue is not the gearbox but with the clutch adjustment?

I haven't heard too much issues with gearbox on the B3/F3 models.

I did, however, experience an unusual problem with my B3's clutch cable. At a relatively low mile, the clutch cable quickly disintegrated. As the strand was coming apart one by one, it screwed up the clutch setup, and caused a bit of a problem as the friction zone kept changing.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sorry OP but this rests solely on you. Four bikes with the same issue points to user error.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts