MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
I like a bike to sound like a bike but that doesn't mean obnoxiously loud.

What I find interesting is the non biking community who seems to tolerate loud customs but not race bikes with open pipes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My previous bike was obnoxiously loud!! Still loved it anyway! K7 GSXR 600 with a straight mid pipe and a SC slip on. It was so loud I couldn't hear or make sense of what my friend was telling me over the phone after a ride (on both earpiece and loudspeaker with volume maxed), ears were ringing nonstop and I had a major headache after the 250km ride :surprise:

I also had an accident where I was lane splitting at 10kph... The loudness of my bike had everyone claiming that I was speeding while I was simply on my commute home from work :|

Here is a flyby compilation of my gsxr :grin2:

After having both stock and aftermarket exhausts. I pick aftermarket every time! Slip-ons which retain the stock catalyst are probably one of the best choices. As I lacked low end power after the straight mid pipe and slip on. However in tight traffic situations I found that having a loud pipe can get people to notice you and make way in case they are sitting too close to the vehicle beside them! :grin2:

·
Administrator
19,116 Posts
@WesSunday You will be wearing hearing aids sooner than you think if you aren't wearing ear plugs. I know of what I speak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@WesSunday You will be wearing hearing aids sooner than you think if you aren't wearing ear plugs. I know of what I speak.
don't just accept/ignore tinnitus - especially if one sided - it can be the sign of a tumour
Thanks for the heads up and friendly advice esq’z me & CharLy, for sure it wasn’t healthy :| took it off after and went back to stock :grin2: I then sold the bike to a young chap who wanted it with the loud pipe haha I’m sure all my neighbors hated me when I owned that bike 0:)

·
Registered
525 Posts
I Like a nice sounding bike or car e.g. louder than stock, but not so obnoxious the law (and my neighbors) can hear me coming 2 miles away.

So I have sports exhausts on all my bikes, but either with a baffle or cat still in so they are not straight through.

I often like to sneak out for a ride early on a summers morning and get a couple of hundred miles in before too many other people about :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was part of a study in the early 90's where a panel of 50 people (min age 10 {just 2 kids in the whole study}, max age 80 with the median being 48) needed to estimate the speed of the following vehicles.
We all started out of sight of the panel and when in eyesight were already at the designated 30 MPH as shown by display linked to a radar out of sight of the panel and we were checked once we had passed the panel too. Allowed variance was +/- 1 MPH. All vehicles were in a gear suitable for the test therefore not over or under revving. Route was straight with an incline of 10°

All standard pipes no mods to any vehicles unless stated.

Road sweeper
Moped - step through and bright yellow with a cute girl on it
RGV250
VTR100 (me)
RVF750 race bike - not street legal and loud - really loud but an amazing sound (same cute girl as the moped - no one expected that)
Harley Davidson (unsure of model) straight cut pipes F-Loud
Harley Davidson new from dealer and unmodified
Subaru WRX - unmodified
Toyota Corolla
Ambulance (no emergency lights) (me)
Ambulance (emergency lights - no siren) (me)
Ambulance (no emergency lights - siren) (me)
Police (same set up as above so 3 runs)
Fire (same set up as above so 3 runs)

All vehicles made one pass all being radar checked by Mr Plod and strict instructions not to exceed 30 MPH. The results were astonishing:
All speeds by the panel were averaged out.

18 MPH - Road sweeper
30 MPH - Moped - step through and bright yellow with a cute girl on it
45 MPH - RGV250
42 MPH - VTR100 (me)
68 MPH - RVF750 race bike - not street legal and loud - really loud but an amazing sound (same cute girl as the moped - no one expected that)
66 MPH - Harley Davidson (unsure of model) straight cut pipe F-Loud
40 MPH - Harley Davidson new from dealer and
42 MPH - Subaru WRX - unmodified
32 MPH - Toyota Corolla
28 MPH - Ambulance (no emergency lights) (me)
52 MPH - Ambulance (emergency lights - no siren) (me)
58 MPH - Ambulance (no emergency lights - siren) (me)
30, 45, 58 MPH - Police (same set up as above so 3 runs)
18, 30, 38 MPH Fire (same set up as above so 3 runs)

What astounded me was the thought that an average thought that the HD was doing 66 and the emergency vehicles were going fast too????? The rough theme here is the estimate is way faster than actual speed.

Loud pipes save lives; well that's debatable but one thing is for sure, most think bikes travel faster than they are and the louder the faster, the more expectation is part of the equation the faster still (emergency vehicles). Smaller vehicles are more difficult to judge speed, add loudness and public perspective is warped.

This data was compiled for the emergency services for driver training which I am involved in and is now considered ancient by research standards.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Own bike is stock but I only like the sound a higher revs (sounds like a tractor at low revs); all of the pipes that I have seen appear to be too loud. The CB1300 I also have has a Micron slip on which is a perfect balance of loud vs good sound. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I love a good sports exhaust. They often help the bike run better. BUT, there are too many F-wits on Harleys and ninja 300s with pipes that are WAY too loud. It does not sound good. Harleys sound shit. Ninja 300s sound like the are going 250 when they come past at 40kph. You look like a joke. I think the loud pipes saves lives argument is for people that wish to ride like arseholes. When I'm giving the bike some juice it is in the hills away from traffic so who is there to warn?

21 - 31 of 31 Posts