MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
Loud Pipes Cost Rights !!! Good sound is one thing, loud for the sake of being loud is stupid....and NO, they do not save lives. The car you are approaching doesn't hear you until you go past.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yep I love a really good sounding set of pipes but not the obnoxious loud pipes that as esq'z me says cost us rights

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Dumb poll. The two choices are a poor list of options.

My F4-312R ran considerably cooler once I got rid of the stock catalyst and got the MV race ECU. My V4 Tuono with aftermarket exhaust and without a catalyst runs at 168*F when moving .

Some of the reasons people replace exhausts:
- Weight
- Performance (though often times it's marginal)
- Operating Temperature
- Sound (some stock bikes just sound like anemic sewing machines, and like it or not, a lot of people like performance cars and bikes to sound like performance cars and bikes)
- Appearance (some of the stock units are butt-ugly. eg: Tuono V4, M-G Griso, Bimota DB7...

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
good sounding and loud are not the same. Straight pipe Harleys are some of the most obnoxious sounding machines on the road and whiney 600 squid machines are also obnoxious but a good set of pipes that let a bike breath (like mine) :) sound really good and don't rattle your teeth or piss off the neighbors

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Good sounding and not loud as the others have said. I love bikes but I hate it when I am going down the road and pass some Harleys and it sounds like they are going to bust the windows of the car.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I commute in and out of a major city every day and I will say that the Termi's on my Monster do get people to notice me, especially when they decide to try and switch lanes in slow movbing traffic without looking.

However, I have just removed the servo from my F3 and my Zero exhaust is now around 4 years old with a lot of miles on it and for the first time it is just too loud. :-(

End of this season and it will be going back to Zero for a re-pack and if they can do it a few mods.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Do it before you damage your hearing, I now have to use aids for the TV and when in company, I'm sure the 15000 miles with the Zero did not help.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
I like to wind up the F4 and hear her sing on the highway..The sound is operatic !! ,The Laverda Jota...ahhh ..I have friends that love to tag along behind and listen to that sweet Italian music from the LanFranconis...Music to my ears...Like Mario Lanza on song !!...

Then we have people whose bikes sound like sawn off shot guns..No thank you..

Joe

·
Super Moderator
21,467 Posts
Do it before you damage your hearing, I now have to use aids for the TV and when in company, I'm sure the 15000 miles with the Zero did not help.

The exhaust note probably did not damage your hearing. Wind noise will. Everyone riding should be wearing hearing protection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I good sounding engine / pipe combo is a key part of the riding experience. Not *too* loud though.

I have a street legal pipes on my bikes, but have seen young kids hold their hands over their ears as a reaction to just seeing a bike approaching - I guess they've had bad experiences :-/

·
Registered
85 Posts
There have been many studies done about this. All of them have proven that loud pipes do not save lives. It causes more road rage than anything else. Noise fatigue is another one to consider. It will wear you out without you noticing. On any long trip I wear hearing protection regardless. Sweet sounding set up is one thing. Open pipes just to be loud and to get that mental feeling that you are a bad ass fast bike is another fallacy that riders wanna be's believe in. Not to criticized Harley riders, but the majority thinks their loud bikes are faster than anything else out there and tried to race every bike off the traffic light. Do not get me wrong I have a lot of friends with Harleys that are really good riders and do not act like the other majority. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The exhaust note probably did not damage your hearing. Wind noise will. Everyone riding should be wearing hearing protection.
you are right sir wind noise will damage your hearing as a person with noise induced hearing loss from working as a wood machinist for some 30 odd years
i know what it dose to you. I do not like loud noise on the other hand a nice sounding pipe is fine, if you ride your bike use ear plugs at all times.:|

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't think the rowdy exhausts I have mainly favoured over 42 years road riding have helped but I agree, it is most probably the wind that has done the most damage.

I am not deafened, I have been tested as OK, but I have continual ringing / zinging in my ears which changes level / tone seemingly at will (just not my will...hah).

Tinnitus is permanent, incurable and just a part of my life.

If you don't have it already, it's probably time to get some hearing protection.

When as a lad I used to see the old blokes stuffing cotton wool in their ears before taking off....we used to laugh...now I know why.

Oh, and pipes?

I like to have a note, not just a noise.

·
Registered
219 Posts
There have been many studies done about this. All of them have proven that loud pipes do not save lives. It causes more road rage than anything else. Noise fatigue is another one to consider. It will wear you out without you noticing. On any long trip I wear hearing protection regardless. Sweet sounding set up is one thing. Open pipes just to be loud and to get that mental feeling that you are a bad ass fast bike is another fallacy that riders wanna be's believe in. Not to criticized Harley riders, but the majority thinks their loud bikes are faster than anything else out there and tried to race every bike off the traffic light. Do not get me wrong I have a lot of friends with Harleys that are really good riders and do not act like the other majority. My 2 cents.
I have a Harley 2012 Wide Glide which is my pillion's favourite.

It has baffled S&S mufflers which sound OK, let it breathe but aren't obnoxious.

I know what you mean about HD owners (some) thinking their bike is the baddest street racer on the block.

A guy pulls up next to me at the lights one night on a "stock with rowdy pipes" Night Train and I'm riding my 2013 Diavel.

He's revving the engine and giving me "the nod" like "let's go, wanna race etc.."

I'm smiling like "mmm dude, do you have any idea what this thing takes off like..?"

My Wide Glide has plenty of useable power to haul me and "er indoors" / SWMBO around the countryside but it is a cruiser / tourer not a drag bike.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I passed a line of trucks, caravans etc. outside of Bowen in Nth. Qld. heading north a couple of years ago. Hit the loud button passing them and 20k down the road this van towing a caravan came past at about 120k/hr swaying all over the road. It then started throwing rubbish back at me, banana skins etc. I passed and left him and he was giving me the finger etc. I was flabbergasted at first and I can only put it down to the noise of my HP Corse as I overtook. Real road rage and bloody dangerous the speed he was towing the van at to catch me. It really is antisocial especially at the speed I overtook. Also very tiring for general riding and I now run the restrictive baffle which still sounds good. Robs a bit of horse power but for street riding is much easier to live with. Car drivers don't even hear an ambulance siren so loud pipes wont help much. As stated by a few before a nice note, not too loud is much better.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
you are right sir wind noise will damage your hearing as a person with noise induced hearing loss from working as a wood machinist for some 30 odd years
i know what it dose to you. I do not like loud noise on the other hand a nice sounding pipe is fine, if you ride your bike use ear plugs at all times.:|
I use the same ones that cut out the buzzing noises...The buzz when the Mrs has a bee in her bonnet !

1 - 20 of 31 Posts