MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is straying into 'nerd' territory....I like to do a little polishing on my bikes. Nothing over the top but some selected alloy bits. However I did discover something a little strange when I decided to polish up the rear foot peg hangers on the Brutale. They're both painted a dull silver but the right (exhaust side) one has a grey powder coat under coat whereas the left one only has the silver paint onto the hanger...why the difference??. I know this as I used an automotive paint remover (Nitromors) to strip the parts prior to polishing and one stripped to the bare alloy in seconds and the other left the grey undercoat which could only be removed with an abrasive wheel. As I say I just thought it strange with virtually the same parts albeit left and right sides?,never came across this before.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Sorry if this is straying into 'nerd' territory....I like to do a little polishing on my bikes. Nothing over the top but some selected alloy bits. However I did discover something a little strange when I decided to polish up the rear foot peg hangers on the Brutale. They're both painted a dull silver but the right (exhaust side) one has a grey powder coat under coat whereas the left one only has the silver paint onto the hanger...why the difference??. I know this as I used an automotive paint remover (Nitromors) to strip the parts prior to polishing and one stripped to the bare alloy in seconds and the other left the grey undercoat which could only be removed with an abrasive wheel. As I say I just thought it strange with virtually the same parts albeit left and right sides?,never came across this before.
A mate has done this on his F4750SR... just used a industrial polishing wheel i think...

Attachments

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
More protection from heat from the exhaust.

·
Registered
43 Posts
wow, that is really clean and shining. Mind to share what polishing products you use for different parts of the bike? Someone to share?

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I suppose additional heat protection from the exhaust is feasible when you think about it, however I've done a lot of polishing on many bikes and never came across this before....then again it IS Italian!. Of course I'm happy to share my polishing techniques no problem. I must post some pictures of my other bikes which have had some 'work' done to them. I have a 1999 CBR Fireblade RRX (0nly 6000 miles on it) and a 2002 Suzuki GSX 750 retro twin shock model (inazuma) quite rare over here. If I can get the hang of it I'll post some photos of these and the Brutale.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack the thread with a polishing thing... full carbon bodywork as well. Would you believe he paid NZ$23k for this thing!! (unpolished).

Attachments

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad you like it Brian...... you'll get to see them better when you collect the Brutale to map it for me. I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
218 Posts
More protection from heat from the exhaust.
to expand on this, alloy has a tendancy to trap gasses and moisture in the metal a little bit... when heated this can cause the gasses to escape and cause bubbles in the paint. Powder coating requires heat to set the powder so most of these gasses are released then and then it is sealed up with the powder. makes sense why its only on the exhaust side.

- Justin

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Justin, as I say it is feasible although it's puzzling that engine casings etc which get very hot don't have any additional coating (on other bikes)...don't know about the MV though and as I haven't attempted to remove the paint and polish these I can't confirm it one way or the other as with my other bikes shown above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts