MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i am now the proud new owner of a red 05 750s :heart:

So it came into the mc dealership i work at as a trade-in (only 300 miles on it!). I have always lusted after these bikes and i pretty much figgured they were made out of "unobtanium" when it came to the thought of ever owning one, let alone just riding one. but there it was right in front of me. I had to take it out for a ride (definately one of the good perks i get from working there :)) and i fell in love with it. way different feel than my monster. i love the grunt of a twin, but this was reaaallly nice.

so my husband and friends spent the next day telling me all the reasons i should buy it: "great employee price. awesome bike-never gonna find one thats used with just 300 mi on it in beautiful condition", "you dont have to give up your ducati" you can ride it and sell it for more than you paid"...blah blah. but i was still really hesitant to pull the trigger. i was rationalizing why do i need 3 bikes? (have a dirt toy as well) my kid needs braces...ohh new furniture (lol) So i wrote off the idea and pretty much figgured it would be sold by the next time i went back to work.
I even emailed my boss (just to shut everyone up) and asked "hypothetically" mind you- what i could get it for.

So anyways my boss said it was sold, and i was a little bummed, but relieved that i got the chance to ride it and hopefully it would be out of the dealership so i wouldnt have to look at it and pine away thinking of it.

little did i know my husband was the one who bought it and surprised me with it as an anniversary/bday gift. awesome. i was totally power-owned. (although after he took a spin on it today. i think i may have to fight for the keys. maybe he just had an ulterior motive? ;)

so im having a blast getting used to it and finishing up the remainder of the break in. i just put 300 mi on it in like 3 days :) the frequent trips to the gas station are a pain in the butt though.

ill be due for some service real soon, but i do have some questions id like to get info on:

i dont have posession of the owners manual yet, and i havent been able to figgure out a few things with the instrument panel.

1)How do you set the trip meter?

2)Where is the clock? how do you display/set it?

3) Frame sliders. I ordered the spool type ones for the rear axle (as the previous owner did not get the rear stand from the dealer) and the front frame ones from Motovation. are there any installation/quality issues i should be aware of?

4) i have read the thread on replacing the fuel line fittings. is this worth doing right away? there is a triumph dealer locally that i can get them from or should i just get the Omega ones?

5) I will probably at least do my own oil changes -do i definately need that tool? or the rear axle one?

6) is there a place online that descibes what each scheduled service entails? i was lucky enuf to snag the service manual pdfs off the web, so i will print them out.

finally, is there any other "need to know" info for a new owner or things i should look out for?

i know this is alot of stuff but thank you in advance for any info!!

Maire

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Welcome to the site! Be sure to get yourself in the registry with a lot of photos. Congrats on your Brutale. Does your husband ride?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Welcome Maire, scroll through the functions on the instruments with the starter button once the engine is running, Yes I know it sounds crazy but that's how it works

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
woops got one more ...does that choke lever do anything?

i assume you set it all the way to the right when cold starting? leave it there for a minute , then back it down? the idle speed does not seem to change at all from the 1200or so rpm. is this just an "enrichener?"

and thanx guys for the quick replies :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
Most people never use the choke. You don't really need it on these bikes.

spankee said:
woops got one more ...does that choke lever do anything?

i assume you set it all the way to the right when cold starting? leave it there for a minute , then back it down? the idle speed does not seem to change at all from the 1200or so rpm. is this just an "enrichener?"

and thanx guys for the quick replies :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Choke doesn't seem to do anything but holds it at idle rpms instead of bogging on a very cold day, I would assume.
When you've started the bike, push the starter to scroll the function you want, hold it down until that function starts to blink, then release and hold it down again to reset. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
spankee said:
1)How do you set the trip meter?

2)Where is the clock? how do you display/set it?

3) Frame sliders. I ordered the spool type ones for the rear axle (as the previous owner did not get the rear stand from the dealer) and the front frame ones from Motovation. are there any installation/quality issues i should be aware of?

4) i have read the thread on replacing the fuel line fittings. is this worth doing right away? there is a triumph dealer locally that i can get them from or should i just get the Omega ones?

5) I will probably at least do my own oil changes -do i definately need that tool? or the rear axle one?

6) is there a place online that descibes what each scheduled service entails? i was lucky enuf to snag the service manual pdfs off the web, so i will print them out.

finally, is there any other "need to know" info for a new owner or things i should look out for?

i know this is alot of stuff but thank you in advance for any info!!

Maire

Hi Maire, congratulations on the bike.

1) As mentioned get the bike running and use starter button to scroll through Trip 1, 2, Odo and CLock

2) To set the clock you scroll to clock with starter then use the SET on the instrument cluster to select digits then starter button to advance them

3) We have put many things on the FAQ, this is one of them.
http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/ is the main page

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2006/04/frame-sliders-and-other-protection.html is on sliders

4) The more you work with the tank the more likely you are to have a problem. Some people go 20 removals and some go 0 before a problem.

5) You need some sort of tool for the filter, is that what you mean? If so, factory, size F generic automotive or strap wrench.

6) If you have the service manual then look under MAINT and there is a chart for each distance interval.

·
Registered
431 Posts
brutal2dmax said:
Choke doesn't seem to do anything but holds it at idle rpms instead of bogging on a very cold day, I would assume.
When you've started the bike, push the starter to scroll the function you want, hold it down until that function starts to blink, then release and hold it down again to reset. Hope this helps.
The "choke" is actually just a lever that holds the throttle on slightly back from resting position in order to give a high idle for warm-up. If yours is not working then your throttle cables are maladjusted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you James!

i spent a little while going through the PDFs of the service manual last nite, and found alot of the info there, i hope you guys dont mind me jumping the gun and posting up my questions here first. my girlie excitedness just got the best of me!

i am going to check out the throttle cables and choke settings too, when i ride to work tomorrow ill snag one of the duc mechanics, and pick his brain :)

...you think id know better after 3 bikes to "RTFM"

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
welcome, just a quick point, always use the correct tools for the job, the MV has some odd fixtures and its so easy to do some damage by making do with the wrong tool, very expensive as well!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts