MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heat exchanger was seeping oil again on my '09 F4 1078 RR312. Rather than going through the dealer again, I took Chuck's advice...

...or you could stick a spanner....oh, nevermind.:smoking:
...and stuck a wrench (spanner) on it. No more drip, sizzle, poof when the oil droplets hit the #3 header pipe.

Back to the subject at hand, part number 8000A1544, a.k.a. "Plate for Oil Cooler", seems to serve no useful purpose. The plate (#21) clamps onto the oil cooler over the bolt (#22) but makes no contact and certainly doesn't keep the bolt from backing out after a few months of heavy vibration from high engine revs.

What purpose does it server other than to get in the way every six months when the bolt backs out enough to allow oil to drip on the #3 header pipe?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Interesting, Mike, as it looks like it is supposed to function as a lock washer. Perhaps it is there, as Ed said, as a base to wire the bolt.

We need an edumucated response from someone!

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
I have one in the shed at home. I'll have a looksee when I get back but it does look like a safety clamp to keep the back of the heat exchanger body from detaching from the front part of the assembly ?

joe

thats an edumacated guess Chuck :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have one in the shed at home. I'll have a looksee when I get back but it does look like a safety clamp to keep the back of the heat exchanger body from detaching from the front part of the assembly ?

joe

That's essentially it's job (the front clips over the leading edge of the heat exchanger) but I've found that if for whatever reason you have to remove the clip (#21), it'll never stay on again! In order to get it off you have to really pry it off, which deforms it hence not getting it back on quite right again...the bolt does most of the clamping...

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
Why would one ever remove the clip from the heat exchanger?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why would one ever remove the clip from the heat exchanger?
To tighten the bolt underneath it. Or was mine replaced incorrectly at some point by the previous owner or service tech?:jsm:

Someone please post a picture of theirs.

·
Super Moderator
22,101 Posts
In the above picture, the bolt goes through the clip...not under it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears so, but in the workshop manual on page L-11, that is not the bolt going through the plate.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts

joe

No Joe, just no :jsm:

That's essentially it's job (the front clips over the leading edge of the heat exchanger) but I've found that if for whatever reason you have to remove the clip (#21), it'll never stay on again! In order to get it off you have to really pry it off, which deforms it hence not getting it back on quite right again...the bolt does most of the clamping...
If you removed it correctly, it goes back perfectly every time. You use a long screw driver to unclip it at the back of the heat exchanger.

In the above picture, the bolt goes through the clip...not under it.
Nope Chuck, it goes over it. I have no idea what it's for other than a feeble attempt to act as a safety clip. It's shaped-pressed in such a way that the bolt head hex would supposedly fit into/onto this bracket, if that makes sense.

In racing over here, all the guys who have this same kind of heat exchanger on their bikes ( eg. Honda CBR 1000 ) drill's the bolt and safety wires it to the engine.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
oil cooler plate and bolt

There you are the oil/water intercooler with the bolt and plate.

So the plate captures the bolt to stop it undoing itself then.

Kind a hard to evaluate these things from 3000 miles away so that is why I said it was a " guess" , :smoking:

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You nailed it, Joe. Mine is bowed out a bit and the hex head on the bolt isn't flush with the plate. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Hahaha

There you are the oil/water intercooler with the bolt and plate.

So the plate captures the bolt to stop it undoing itself then.

Kind a hard to evaluate these things from 3000 miles away so that is why I said it was a " guess" , :smoking:
That's what I said man :naughty: , pity it doesn't always work though Joe, it was one of the reasons why I decided to dump that anchor.:)

·
Registered
14,415 Posts
?

That's what I said man :naughty: , pity it doesn't always work though Joe, it was one of the reasons why I decided to dump that anchor.:)
and that's why I had you remove the heat exchanger and all its bullshit plumbing and add an oil cooler......

right?

and modified a radiator for you that unpressurized the header tank.....by putting the cap on the right tank........

that MV copied for the '10+ models

but the shit heads weren't smart enough to split the left tank but used a return pipe and hoses from the right side

you and I don't have that problem do we Donsy?

:drummer:

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Ha. I shouldnt have guessed anyway Donsy. Theres usually more to these things than meets the eye.

.If anybody wants a heat exchanger..I have one free .
And all the little pipes too that go with it. Its the one in the pic
Joe

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Ha. I shouldnt have guessed anyway Donsy. Theres usually more to these things than meets the eye.

.If anybody wants a heat exchanger..I have one free .
And all the little pipes too that go with it. Its the one in the pic
Joe

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
No stress Uncle, and I have 2 here also if anybody needed the parts.

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Here's a few pictures I have taken this morning of the oil water intercooler.

I found it very important when reassembling to be very careful to line the hex bolt up first so the starred clamp hole slides over it properly.

I couldn't find a torque value for that central bolt and I am thinking maybe the factory spin the assembled bolt, clamp and black intercooler body on by hand like an oil filter and connect the water hoses after it is fitted to the aluminium plate.

It would definitely make sense to undo the clamp and bolt to remove as ( just like an oil filter ) it is ferking tight to remove and who would want to remove the hoses to try this?

I used an old butter knife with a bit of cotton cloth around it to protect the paint when fitting and removing the clamp.

NB When removing the intercooler from an engine there is no need to remove the aluminium plate, I had removed this completely from my bike to fit a 2010 cooling system.

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
And here's the block side, with the plate removed:

The complete assembly for reference, similar to Joe's image above:

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Nice :) Appreciate that addition. and don't your hoses look good in red !

I removed my intercooler and fitted a Brutale plate to facilitate installation of MY 2010 cooling system with a dedicated oil cooler ...

Joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts