MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has both 750 spr and Brutale 910. And both bikes he has upgraded the rims from the stock silver star rims to better of course! :naughty: My friend has no offered me to take the stock silver set wheels to put on my F4 750. Which is great because it comes with a rear tire and I neeed one! Now that I have have the set of rims at home I'm looking at the rear tire and it is a Pirelli Dragon EVO :wtf: ! never heard of and wanted to know the following: wondering whether this came on the brutale or spr? And if I should just stick to Michelin Pilot Power/ Race?

Any help would be appreciated thank you! :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Are you going to ride on the track or street or mostly street and occassional track day? For track only go with Michelin Power Race 120/70 front PR1 compound. Rear 180/55 in medium soft compund for the 750cc motor. If you are a street rider only or mostly street with occassional trackday interests, go with the Pilot Power in the sizes mentioned above and try to get the 2CT (two compound version).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so purchase new tires and get rid of those prirelli dragon evos? I take it they're no good they probably have like 50 miles on them! I'm only going to do street riding, until I get my suit, then I will take track days into consideration! I currently have pilot powers great tires not one complaint :D Im looking at F4 750's for sale on ebay and they seem to have those tires on the current bikes for sale.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry, I misunderstood you....Pirelli makes great tires but Supercorsa Pro's are the tires to have if you are street riding and doing track days every so often....either that or the Michelin Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I concur with Brians advice. I'm going for the Michelin 2CT myself when I change the black hoops this winter

·
Registered
257 Posts
Pilot Power all the way!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
brianhevans said:
Sorry, I misunderstood you....Pirelli makes great tires but Supercorsa Pro's are the tires to have if you are street riding and doing track days every so often....either that or the Michelin Pilot Powers.
After having both Supercorsa pro (road version) and 9000 miles on 3 sets of Michelin Powers (both normal and 2CT) I woud'nt even consider the Supercorsa at all.
I believe the race Supercorsa in SC1/2 etc is a different option altogether, but for road use I do not believe a tyre should need to be "warmed up" like a track tyre does, it will only be a matter of time before you stop for 10 minutes and forget the warm up thing, race tyres do not hold the heat like road tyres.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I totally agree with you Mike, I'm looking to shoe my F4 with the 2CT's over winter myself, they don't appear to be much more expensive than the Pilot Powers I had on my Evo III, would you go for the 2CT's over plain PP's?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Are you guys already running 2CT's? I heard they were released in Europe, but it will be several months before we get them here in the states. A guy connected with Michelin told me the main advantage of the 2CT over the current Pilot Power is in wet conditions, not really something I have to worry too much about in Southern California. Our winter (wet season) is usually the first two weeks of March :D
Sorry, I don't have any experience with the Pirelli street tire, but I really like their race tires.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
john said:
I totally agree with you Mike, I'm looking to shoe my F4 with the 2CT's over winter myself, they don't appear to be much more expensive than the Pilot Powers I had on my Evo III, would you go for the 2CT's over plain PP's?
Pilot Powers last around 3000 miles if you don't abuse them, the 2CT apparanntly will only last 2000 miles, IMHO I will/did go for the 2CT, I know the Powers are good enough and more for the road, but for that one occasion were I might just need that extra side grip they would be worth every last penny and shorter mileage :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have the 2CT on my bike here in the US. Mounted last week and ~14-1500mi on them. Pretty close to standard power except coming off the edge back onto the normal compound. Feels a bit like squish :) You can also see their wear frequency is different after a hard run.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
JamesC said:
Standard Pilot Power centre and the outter 1.5"/3cm or so are softer. You can see the point of compound change on the mold release.
So for communting (which is unfortunately most of my riding), they wouls last as long as regular pp's, but offer more grip for twistys.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have always used PIRELLI.

On my first Ducati Monster S4R I used to mount PIRELLI DIABLO Corsa, they were 100% quality for both track and road usage. She came with a pair of MICHELIN Pilot Sport..they behaved perfect but here in my country there is a belive that say PIRELLI warns you several times before failing, and MICHELIN had great grip but never warns before failing...
Belive it or not...this is what people say and I always mounted PIRELLI until today.

With the Brutale 910, she came with PIRELLI Supercorsa SC2...outstanding performance in tracks, very reliable until the end. But in roads, they need some warming up; I sometime had surprises trying to put them to work before they were hot enough....but once they reach good temperature, they are fantastic.

On the F4R, she also came with PIRELLI SC2 and it is the same story...I always try to do some warming up just to avoid unpleasant surprises....

regards
ZAR

·
Registered
358 Posts
JamesC said:
Standard Pilot Power centre and the outter 1.5"/3cm or so are softer. You can see the point of compound change on the mold release.
Shoot, I was hoping they'd be more like a Pilot Road in the center, in terms of wear. Here in the flatlands of SE Texas that's always the part that wears out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are three compounds present in the CT's. From softest to Medium as Michelin specs it.
The tires are supposed to be 22% softer per press kit last year. I tried to get them last year when they released in Europe.
The carcass as I understand is the same as the PP, but has the modified rubber. The compound primarily silica is the same or used as in the GP circus.
What Nevermore said makes sense with this as Silica is what gives the modern day mc tire its exceptional grip. Not many ride in the rain but I do and the PP is good, but paint lines dont give a rats ass about compounds do they? lol

I am interested to see the 190/55 fitment which I am going to try-

Here is an interesting schematic of tire profiles and how they differ.

BTW... Moto-wheels has done a great job and getting me fresh rubber (check the time stamps!), and great pricing

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!
I have a set of Michelin pilot power on my 750 brutale. This summer i have had 5 front wheel slips. The Michelin has given great respons, so i felt no real danger, but in at least 3 of the front wheel slips I mean that the tyres should have kept the grip. Pherhapes the rubber is getting old (2004), but I am wondering of changing to Pirellis.
Jon

1 - 20 of 36 Posts