MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting the hyperlite kit and exhaust manifold from PiratesLair.

Is Pirates Lair good to work with?

Would you recommend the Manifold? How does it sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats great to hear. I am hoping somebody responds who has purchased the manifold. The man at Pirates Lair said it gave a deeper sound, but not much louder than stock. Curious if that is other people's opinion.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Jerry from Pirates Lair is first rate.

I have the MV Special Parts Catless Mid-Pipe along with the Motocorse F1 titanium exhaust. Alone, the mid-pipe doesn't make much of a difference. However with a Slipon RG3 or F1 system it does pass quite a bit more air.

The stock exhaust is pretty restrictive and therefore it is my opinion that swapping out to the catless mid-pipe has minimal gains in performance and sound if any at all.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
awiner said:
Jerry from Pirates Lair is first rate.

I have the MV Special Parts Catless Mid-Pipe along with the Motocorse F1 titanium exhaust. Alone, the mid-pipe doesn't make much of a difference. However with a Slipon RG3 or F1 system it does pass quite a bit more air.

The stock exhaust is pretty restrictive and therefore it is my opinion that swapping out to the catless mid-pipe has minimal gains in performance and sound if any at all.
Spot on...the removal of the converter by using an after market mid pipe on its own will have no advantage in performance nor sound, you need to change it out with the addition of a slip on that is properly mapped and tuned for the exhausts that you decide to use.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome feedback, you guys are what makes this site so great to use.

What is the lowest I should look at spending for slipons? Any good options that don't cost $3k?

·
Registered
375 Posts
brady280 said:
Awesome feedback, you guys are what makes this site so great to use.

What is the lowest I should look at spending for slipons? Any good options that don't cost $3k?

A set of Arrow RG3's will run around $1500.00 new. The MV SP Mid Pipe is about $500.00.

·
Registered
375 Posts
brady280 said:
Are you using the Arrow pipes yourself? Seems like a reasonable price, how is the sound?
I have the Corse F1 Titanium pipes. Basically they are the same as the RG3 except made from titanium.

The sound is great. Not too obnoxious but a very nice growl. There is a sound clip posted here: http://www.mvagusta.net/viewmedia/61

In person the sound is even better however. At wide open throttle you can be heard for blocks. :)

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
i'll vouch for that. awiner came screaming by me and those Moto Corse Ti organ pipes were just singing a sweet tune.

in comparison, my stock exhaust sounds like the mv has a pillow shoved up its butt.

alex

·
Registered
375 Posts
The stock exhaust is very restrictive. All the sound you hear stock is at the air box. If you are behind the bike when riding down the road you don't heat squat when stock.

The first thing I noticed when I went to the Corse F1 and mid-pipe was how much air comes out the back now as well as the sound.

The sound at the air box is a bit less probably because of the less restrictive flow. I also added a BMC Race air filter at the same time as I did the MotoCard EFI Re-Mapping.

Net gain was a ton on weight loss due to using titanium and much more linear power delivery. There are no holes in the power band now.

Upon deceleration, due to the MV Anti-Slip feature you can hear how loud the popping is from the exhaust valve on cylinder #3 being held open by the electronic solenoid with a straight through exhaust.

It sounds sort of cool and the flames that shoot out are pretty entertaining as well at night time.

All and all a great performance gain as well as a visual and audible ascetic gain.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yes, as awiner has said, the sound is not noisy loud, but more a pronounced growl, but above 5000 rpm it really starts howling, its a joy!
Expect between 4-6 hp gain moslty in the mid range and expect some 'fluff' at low pick up, this I am told can be mapped out with a power commander or the like, but I have not bothered. I have just got used to how it behaves and compensate from there.

Have fun!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I rode the bike very briefly (Approx 50 miles) between the time I put the exhaust on and the MotoCard EFI re-mapping was done.

A MotoCard or Power Commander will definitely make a big difference in performance as well as power delivery if mapped correctly.

Additionally, the noise will even be different with the correct fueling.

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I would also recommend the Sil Motor Pipes, i love the way they sound and with the a cat-free midpipe you will get a way better sound and a good performance gain. i think the last time saw a set at FBF they are around $900. i have a couple pics of mine if you look through my gallery to see what they look like. There is also a clip of my bike on the dyno that might give you a taste of the sound. They are slightly :grin: louder than stock!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts